Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to have my volume set at about 8 just to enjoy rock music with the General idling in the garage. I think the volume may max out at 10.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Bought a new 2020 XP 1000 with the rockford fosgate and ride command, same exact issue as you. Call Polaris and they say I must handle it through the dealer with an 'Ask Polaris Claim' Total BS. Like so many others involved in this discussion I am pissed off. First indication of an issue was evident when I was demonstrating to my 14 year old son, how to operate the radio, and discovered that the Fader was NOT working properly....just as others have described, it fades from 'All 4 Speakers' to 'Sub woofer', Not front to rear as it should. Piss poor quality and attention to detail by Polaris. IF, in fact, the amp is only a 2 channel amp, not a 4 channel as it SHOULD be, then for gods sake at least let us have the full 400 watts by powering front and rear speakers individually....then maybe if they want to get cheap they could tie the sub into the front channel (sub is located under the front dash anyway). I feel totally abused by this substandard radio system. The biggest pisser of all; the entire radio unit recently started cracking/popping (as other described), then went full volume/cracking/etc....uncontrollably. I had to remove the 25 amp fuse to disable the entire ride command unit just to be able to drive the dam side by side....to get it home. Hopefully no damage to speakers. Keep in mind this machine is BRAND NEW!!! I only have 28 miles on it. Traded my commander in for it. Now I am having 2nd thoughts.
You are probably getting the full 400 watts. That 400 watts is divided between the 2 channels on the amp. 200x2. Then they according to the above report, run the front left and rear left on 1 channel and the right side on the other. Let's say that amp is 200wx2 @ 2 ohm. The front speaker is 4 ohm the rear is 4 ohm. So you parallel those to the channel. This brings the ohm load to 2 ohm. You're getting 100 watts per speaker times 4 speakers, there's your 400 watts. In no way am I defending what Polaris did in to system. I feel it's a chicken **** way of doing it. Polaris/Indian and Harley Davidson can't put an infotainment system together to save their butts. GM, Ford, and every other Auto maker has their stuff together and you get top notch sound and navigation. Polaris/Indian can't even give us something on par with a Garmin. I feel Rockford is partly at fault in this too. Polaris wants to sweep it under the rug, judging by the responses I see here. Rockford knows the inadequacies, but their hands were probably tied because Polaris is their customer. If I owned an XP with this system, I would bring the machine to the dealer and tell them to remove the entire Ride Command and sound system and credit me the retail difference to add it to the machine. Then I'd buy a Probox roof or one of the other aftermarket sounds systems. I'm getting mad for you guys that spent your hard earned money on this inadequate and antiquated system they're forcing on you. Just ranting. I hope you guys find some recourse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm just going to put my .02 in here. Rockford isn't really to blame from what I gather. Polaris is to blame for selecting cheap head unit. I have the non ride command stage 3 setup from rockford. Using their head unit that comes in the package. It absolutely will blow your ear drums out at volume ~20. 10 is fine for idling in the garage and 24 is loud at ~45mph. If I had a helmet on I might need above volume 25 while going fast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm just going to put my .02 in here. Rockford isn't really to blame from what I gather. Polaris is to blame for selecting cheap head unit. I have the non ride command stage 3 setup from rockford. Using their head unit that comes in the package. It absolutely will blow your ear drums out at volume ~20. 10 is fine for idling in the garage and 24 is loud at ~45mph. If I had a helmet on I might need above volume 25 while going fast.
I'm glad your audio system is loud enough. But I think it is probably different from those of us who have the Ride Command and Stage 4 audio system. Do you even have the rear speakers? Plus, I assume you don't have the same 400 watt amp and subwoofer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The kit that I have is outlined on Rockford's website here 400 watt stereo, front lower speaker, and subwoofer kit for select Polaris GENERAL® models | Rockford Fosgate ®. I do not have ride command and I do not have the rear tower speakers. I was not trying to say "mine is better" or that "you're wrong" I was trying to get the point across that the ride command head unit must be doing something terrible because without the tower speakers the RF stage 3 blows my ears out. When we turned it up after the dealer installed it my first question was "Why would anyone want the tower speakers?". It looks like the RF amp I have is a 400x4. Maybe that is the difference here?

·
Registered
715 Posts
The kit that I have is outlined on Rockford's website here 400 watt stereo, front lower speaker, and subwoofer kit for select Polaris GENERAL® models | Rockford Fosgate ®. I do not have ride command and I do not have the rear tower speakers. I was not trying to say "mine is better" or that "you're wrong" I was trying to get the point across that the ride command head unit must be doing something terrible because without the tower speakers the RF stage 3 blows my ears out. When we turned it up after the dealer installed it my first question was "Why would anyone want the tower speakers?". It looks like the RF amp I have is a 400x4. Maybe that is the difference here?
If your Rockford amp is 4 channel 100 watts x 4 channels. The subwoofer is probably run in a bridge configuration since it's only one speaker, unless it's dual voice coil (doubtful). So you have 200 watts going into the sub. 100 watts each to the front. You're input source probably provides a good clean 5v signal. The better in the better out. The fact there's a thread on this forum where guys say that changing the region code in the Ride Command head unit increases sounds (temporarily), shows that there's something in the programming that is throttling the system back. 4 speakers on 2 channels is ridiculous. Polaris trying to keep costs down and margins up. IMHO. My boss has Rockford stuff (aftermarket) in his RZR 1000s. It's ridiculously loud. I don't blame Rockford I blame Polaris for cutting corners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did get my machine back from dealer after bringing up the 2 issues (Fader not working and full volume is weak or low). I did verify for my dealer that changing the region code on the Ride Command head unit does work (they believed the system sounded good till I did that in front of them). Polaris is aware of the issues but nothing further can be done at this time. Will be getting to know the regions well I guess as a workaround, until Polaris figures this out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the Stage 4 system installed in my 2020 G4 (no ride command) and after only a couple of days, it stopped working, ie no sound. I checked the PMX-2 and it was working fine putting out signal; I even hooked up the 4 speakers to the head unit and used the internal amp to verify that the speakers also worked fine. The blue led power indicator on the amp turned on with the switch as expected, but there was no sound.

So, being a new unit, I contacted the dealer who got me a replacement amp (TM400X4AD). Plugged everything back in and still nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions? My dealer is 85 miles away so I'd like to try and fix it myself, otherwise I'll have to trailer the G4 and drop it off for who knows how long and the drive back to pick up.

As for the fader not working, you have 4 speakers and a sub, you would need a 5 channel amp (which RF does make and I think is used in the Stage 5 kit). With only four channels amp ( Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right) they simply bridge the rear to power the sub and the front powers all 4 speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just making sure all folks are aware of the July release for Ride Command does some volume adjustments as part of the release. They essentially break the "workaround" discussed in this thread and others about the RC stage 4. Volume now needs to be in the 8 vs the 5 as before after switching regions(region switch doesnt work in this release) They give you some trick new gauge cluster packages as the other major part of the release. Polaris if your reading these... still not happy with the volume and now you took the workaround we had... GRRR!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are there any gain pots on the side of the RF amps? After running into the same issue with my 2019 and the MTX soundbar I just had to say screw it and add an external JL audio amp.

If no gain pots then I'm guessing they have them set on a fixed internal gain. Someone needs to break out an oscilloscope and check the output level of the RC head with a fixed signal output fed via a bluetooth feed into the radio. I'm betting that feeding the same signal into the amp using the headphone jack output soldered into the input line of the amp will produce a much louder unclipped sound.

May be the fix is installing a variable gain RCA voltage level signal amp inline with the amp and the RC head. One just needs to figure out the wiring and the correct plug and play adapters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hard to believe that Polaris would produce their best General with a premier sound system “label” and price that doesn’t work as advertised out of the box. That’s just the way it is. My brand new 2020 General Ride Command XP Deluxe does exactly as described in above posts. Fader is a joke, weak volume and just a below average experience. Thanks for all the posts as I now realize it’s not my lack of knowingly howto set it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have the 2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe with Rockford stage 4 audio with Ridecommand. Actually the amp provided on my machine is a single channel. Just got off the phone with Polaris and they are also wondering why the incorrect amp was installed. Rockford indicates that the correct amp is a 500 watt 4 channel amp for the stage 4 system. Waiting to hear back from Polaris with their answer for the fix.

Hopefully everyone else who is experiencing this problem has reached out to Polaris.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have the 2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe with Rockford stage 4 audio with Ridecommand. Actually the amp provided on my machine is a single channel. Just got off the phone with Polaris and they are also wondering why the incorrect amp was installed. Rockford indicates that the correct amp is a 500 watt 4 channel amp for the stage 4 system. Waiting to hear back from Polaris with their answer for the fix.

Hopefully everyone else who is experiencing this problem has reached out to Polaris.
My understanding from talking directly with Rockford Fosgate is that a 4 channel amp will not provide functionality for the fader. It takes a 5 channel amp (1 for each speaker and 1 for the sub).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok. Here’s my follow up. Been on the phone daily with Polaris. It is impossible to speak directly with the engineering team responsible for the amateur wiring of the stage 4 system. Final answer form Polaris is Too Bad Sucker.
Guess it’s time to contact a lawyer and go after Polaris to make it right. Big $$$$ crappy stereo. If anyone has experience with class action suits I would like to know. Maybe we can all make a loud noise so Polaris will listen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok. Here’s my follow up. Been on the phone daily with Polaris. It is impossible to speak directly with the engineering team responsible for the amateur wiring of the stage 4 system. Final answer form Polaris is Too Bad Sucker.
Guess it’s time to contact a lawyer and go after Polaris to make it right. Big $$$$ crappy stereo. If anyone has experience with class action suits I would like to know. Maybe we can all make a loud noise so Polaris will listen
Ya I feel like they aren't going to do anything for us, very disappointing. Does anyone know of any aftermarket amps that are made to improve this system? I swear I seen it on one of my facebook pages but now I can't find it. It was a kit that either replaced the factory amp or just added to it, not sure which exactly but I would like to make this system work as it should without splicing into it to much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya I feel like they aren't going to do anything for us, very disappointing. Does anyone know of any aftermarket amps that are made to improve this system? I swear I seen it on one of my facebook pages but now I can't find it. It was a kit that either replaced the factory amp or just added to it, not sure which exactly but I would like to make this system work as it should without splicing into it to much.
Here you go. Power Marine 1,000 Watt Class-ad 5-Channel Amplifier | Rockford Fosgate ®

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok guys....here's the final word from Polaris. Looks like only way to have them correct the engineering failure on their part is to have everyone involved in a class action suit. I'm not looking for money, just put the correct amp in. I agree with 1Truckey. The RF Power marine 1000 watt 5 channel amp is the only way to have the system work correctly. Not only do you need to purchase the amp, you will need additional wiring harness (plural) to hook up system correctly from ride command output.

Below is my correspondence with Polaris and their reply:

Hi ,

Your vehicle is built using the same parts as the stage 4 kit. According to our build sheets and vehicle factory options your vehicle was built using the kit. If your vehicle is missing components or components are not functional that is a different concern. If you could provide us with further evidence that what you got is not what you have that would be greatly appreciated, as the dealership confirmed you have what you need. Attached is a photo of the list of parts if you would like to go through your machine yourself.

Thank you,
Matrice, Representative, Owner Connections
2100 Highway 55 | Medina, MN 55340

www.polaris.com | 1-800-765-2747

Hello Matrice,

Regarding our discussion today. I agree that the speakers installed in my Polaris are correct. The problem begins with the controls on ride command for the audio, and the amplifier which Polaris installed in the system.

First, let’s address the fact that Polaris specification sheet states that the Ride Command upgrade kit comes with a Rockford Fosgate Stage 4 Deluxe audio system.
This is incorrect. Please refer to the web address for Rockford Fosgate which details the Stage 4 audio system with all components including wiring harness. I have spoken to Rockford Fosgate and they indicate that what Polaris installed is NOT a Stage 4 system. Only the speakers are from Stage 4. As you can see in the image on the web page it clearly shows a different amp.

400 watt stereo, front lower speaker, rear speaker, and subwoofer kit for select Polaris GENERAL® models | Rockford Fosgate ®

I also looked up the part # on the Rockford Fosgate (RF) website as well as verifying with the RF engineer. The amp which Polaris installed is not a Rockford Fosgate part available to the public, it is however a Polaris designed amp contracted to RF for production for Polaris. However, the pictures attached showing the amp installed on my Polaris clearly shows that it is allegedly an RF amp. Further research reveals that the amp installed from the Polaris factory is in fact a Polaris part. I think Polaris is doing a bait and switch on the customer since this amp is NOT a Fosgate amp! False advertising all the way. Please refer to attached photos. Please refer to Polaris website and attached photos for evidence of your specifications and false claims about the audio system. I have several friends who have the same vehicle with Ride Command installed. They had their dealerships install aftermarket Rockford Fosgate Stage 4 system in their SxS. The sound experience is totally different between their rides and mine. Doesn’t bode well for the Polaris system !!!

Choose package - 2020 Polaris GENERAL XP 1000 Deluxe | Polaris GENERAL

Second, lets address the controls on the Ride Command audio screen. When attempting to adjust the equalizer, nothing changes with the sliders. Why not. The bass, midrange and treble should change based on various slide settings. Next the fade slider. Move slider all the way to rear speaker setting and no sound from any speakers. Move slider to front speaker setting and terrible sound from front and rear speakers. I am unable to get the sub-woofer to produce any sound on any setting. You have to have the audio volume up to 7 in order to barely hear the speakers with Polaris running in idle. When on the trail the audio system is useless. You cannot hear it even when speakers are at level 10 ???

What is Polaris going to do to rectify this issue. I have paid $2500.00 for the Ride Command with Rockford Fosgate Stage 4 audio system.

Please advise,

21 - 40 of 55 Posts