Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I remember Henry John Deutchindorf, saw him at the Backdoor at San Diego State around 68/69. We thought he was pretty good but he sure had some interesting renditions but for a little guy he had pipes. A couple of years later he’s John Denver and the rest is history. My favorite tune of his is “You fill up my senses”

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,229 Posts
Charlie,
I've been to Huatulco. Way back in 1992. First wife won an oxygen sales contest. Sent us for a week to the Club Med there. Wouldn't do that again, but for a first trip to Nexico, all expenses paid. It was a good trip.

1st 45 I bought? PX Ft Belvoir, VA. The Beatles
I wanna hold your hand. Spring 1963.

MSN has this post been hijacked or what? Good thing I'm the OP!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Waaalll...I've moved all the top end pics off my phone and onto my PC, which is about 1000 or so miles from the resort here in Mexico. So can't make any progress on the post. Rats!!

I have a pretty good set of photos of the cylinder head, intake and exhaust ports, coolant inlet, bleeder screw the works. So that everyone should be able to have a good feel for what goes on at the top end of a General Motor.

Pirate

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ain’t it funny, by each name of each member it shows a flag. Pirate when you were in the US you had a US flag, you go to Mexico and now next your name it’s the Mexican flag
You know what that means.........
“Somebody’s watching you................”
Next thing we’ll know is your name will change on the forum to...........”Senior Pirate”

Have fun and drink a fu-fu drink for me amigo. I’m stuck here in San Felipe and it got down to 75 today

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Huatulco changed a lot since 92. The government of Oaxaca came in 96 and designated a biosphere and it changed the dramatically. No cars six years or older are allowed. They rebuilt the town after an hurricane and we stay in town at the Holiday Inn. Everything you need is close. Great place for New Years
They are extremely environmentally conscious and the pier and the dock area are really nice.
One of my top five places to go,. Number one still..........Queenstown South New Zealand
Lots of flies here today but I can’t go in the house, the maid is here and she’ll mop if I go in.
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ah, Senor Pirate! But sitting here on the beach. Got just the right palapa...in the shade.
Wind is up, surf is up, Sun is gone in the clouds and 80% chance of rain. Oh well. I'm just relaxing. BOSS had a 1 hour hydrotherapy session followed by a 1 hour massage. Do I want a massage BOSS asks. He'll no, all they do is hurt me! Try to work out the knots...umm those are scar tissue around a healed bone fracture...get away from me!!!

·
Premium Member
(Ordered) General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
276 Posts
Nope, not a vacation. Since we retired, we take Trips not vacations.
I'm with you. Salt water makes all my scars burn. I wear sandals, hate shoes full of sand. But tip the girls $5 and never have an empty Pina Colada cup.
And I figure if we come a other couple of times...getting a 4 cylinder RZR should be a breeze! Right?? Hopefully a 4 cylinder General!
Pirate
I like the way you think Pirate!

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General W/ Camso Tracks
23 Posts
I tried scuba diving for the first time today. Not gonna lie, might have to build me a rack for the general to drive the scuba gear to the beach when I’m not in the mountains. Another expensive hobby begins…hahaha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well...I didn't get very far with that post...yet..
What it means is that in doing a leak down test the right, passenger side, cylinder won't hold pressure hardly at all. It bleeds off really quickly,
The left cylinder, driver side, held about 40 psi after five minutes. down from 100 psi. So not very good.
Upon disassembly. The exhaust valve guides are badly worn, The right cylinder, outside exhaust valve wobbles a whole lot. This is where I ended up. Have to get the seven second video on YouTube to be able to put it on the forum.
The valves have all lost the full circle valve to valve seat sealing ring. So all the valve guides are worn. It seems they are not replaceable.
So ended up buying a new bare cylinder head. All new valves and other parts I have to look at my invoice to list.
The cylinder still has a good deal of the factory honing cross hatch pattern so just a fast clean up honing and new piston rings.
The cams look like new. The "buckets" I'll explain a lot more with pics. were usable.
The cam chain tensioner, on first fire in the morning sounded like a hydraulic lifter that bled down. So moved to the new style mechanical. Which is said to be much better.
That was the bulk of what was done.
Thus far I have about 100 feet on the motor. Pulling away from Terry Gilomen's shop and into my Mobile Garage (enclosed trailer). The motor sounded awesome. But if you can imagine, I'm being dragged off to Mexico. Some place about 50 miles South of Cancun. El Dorado Seaside Suites? Eight gold apple? Have to wear shirt with collar, slacks and casual shoes to dinner? Four of BOSS' children and spouses will be there. And all I did was fork over a credit card...so final assembly and getting some miles has to wait DANG IT!!!
You have a youtube channel? Daaang Pirate, what'sit called so I can subscribe!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
OK, it's been a month. Finally getting my S**t together. Just now got the one video uploaded to YouTube successfully...I think...so here goes:
to start with, I have made contact with Terry Gilomen in the past with regard to hard starting. Since that ride, the first week of November, 2019, we were in Moab. Terry recommended finding
"winterized fuel" somewhere and use it. Terry told me winterized fuel has more butane in it, which combusts more easily an more quickly. So I found a station with big banners saying "We have Winterized gasoline". Sure enough, that put an end to hard starts. But come 2021, its hard to start the machine first start of the morning every time we go riding. So now what?

I made contact with my friend Terry Gilomen once again. His suggestion was, maybe it's time to do a leak down test and see what's going on in the cylinders. Phooey. I have a Snap On compression test tool kit, with fittings to pressurize a cylinder to remove valve spring keepers, etc. But not do leak down testing. So down to Harbor Freight and got a Maddox leak test kit. Not the best, but it works
well enough.
Set it up on the Right, or Passenger side, cylinder. It doesn't hold pressure at all. Starts bleeding down very quickly. Listening closely I can hear air blowing past something and out of cylinder. Pressure bleeds off from 100 psi to zero in less than a minute.
Set the Maddox kit up on the Left, or Driver side, cylinder. It bleeds down from 100 psi and holds at 40 psi.
Sent the results to Terry. Yup, time for a top end. Well, the dealership nearest to me sells several brands of machines and the Service Techs work on all of them. So how well will they perform doing a top end on the Pirate's General. I spoke with Terry and he said they could do it for me if I brought it to Northfield, Minnesota. Let's see, Basecamp tells me that's 1001 miles. History tells me that's where the James, Younger gang failed in a bank robbery attempt and got shot up. So something to do while the top end work is being done. I'll make the drive! Arrived there Mid-afternoon on a Tuesday. Stopped in about 9:30 Wednesday morning and the top end is disassembled and the root cause exposed.
Here is a YouTube video that shows the root cause. The exhaust valve guides are very loose. In the 8 second video you will see just how loose they are.
(this is the first video I have uploaded in a very long time, so bear with me if I messed it up. Plus the Filmora program has changed a lot too!)

Let's take a better look at the As Found condition of things: The Motor has 8974 miles at the time of the top end being rebuilt. As of this writing it has about 300 feet more.
Here is an overall look at the old cylinder head as it came off the engine. Terry said the black deposits on the flat surface of the head were to be expected. The Head Gasket was sealed
and not leaking. On the other hand, neither of us had an answer for the pink coloring in the intake ports. Are only thoughts were something in the 87 Octane mid-grade fuel I'm using.
I do have three 10.5 gallon Flo-Fast plastic containers and use a Flo-Fast pump to fill the fuel tank. So typically all the fuel comes from the Conoco-Phillips station closest to home.

Terry Gilomen suspected it might be valve guides. Does not have the shop equipment to replace them.
So Terry had a line on a new, bare Polaris cylinder head. It was ordered Wednesday morning first thing and
delivered Thursday morning before 8AM.

Here is a look at the intake ports on the old cylinder head:
Eye Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Eyelash

As you can see the Intake ports have the pinkish coloring, but no signs of the "mud" of dust and gasoline.
A clear sign that road dust has not gotten through the Outerwears over the "combustion air intake" under
the hood. Has not gotten through the Outerwears over the Polaris air filter element in the air box. Has not
gotten through the Polaris air filter element. All excellent findings!!
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system

One more thing to note here, the "port" at center and below the intake ports is the Cooling Water Outlet.
It's in the Cylinder Head. I'll be danged if I can find the aluminum casting that bolts to the head and the
upper radiator hose connects to it. I just don't think it's a part on any of the parts fiche page.

Here are pics of the exhaust ports. The both look the same. Nice and clean. Some small black deposits.
The pinkish deposits. but overall looking very good! But the black deposits aren't something I can scrape
off with a fingernail.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Gas

One can see some casting remnants at the mid-line of the ports. If I had the new bare head and a day,
I would have use abrasive tubes and ground them off and use some very fine polishing paste and a
fine abrasive tubes on a die grinder an polished the ports up a bit. Worth a bit in exhaust flow.
Here's a photo of the cylinders as removed from the engine:
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

If you look closely, you can see that there is a fair amount of the factory hone cross hatch pattern still in
the cylinders. Around the cylinders you can see the water jacket that keeps the cylinders cool when the
engine is running. All looks very good and the cylinder bores were given a light honing, the old gasket material
cleaned off. The cylinder cleaned and prepped for reassembly.
Also note that I have annotated the pic with the location of the Cooling Water Inlet Boss. The graphic below shows
the aluminum casting that bolts to the Cylinder Head bringing "cold" coolant to the engine from the lower radiator
hose.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Goggles Gas Auto part

As long as we're on the Cooling System. Might as well complete the discussion. Terry Gilomen told me the tops of the pistons looks just as he would
expect. Sadly when I arrived at the shop on Thursday morning the engine was completely assembled. So I can't you if the piston tops were cleaned or
not.
Here's something the Pirate learned in putting this post together. Digging through the parts fiche pages. See that dirty rectangular thing to the right
of the oil filter. With what are hoses coming out the front of it. Yeah, those two hoses that make access to the oil filter a real PITA?
That is the "Oil Cooler". I didn't know this engine had an oil cooler.

Font Art Auto part Pattern Automotive design

Looking at the greyed out graphic above, one can see the two hoses from the Oil Cooler running down to the Water Pump
Never having had my hands on a disassembled Crankcase. I'm not sure how the Oil Cooler circulation works. But I wonder,
Does the oil pump scavenge oil from the pan pump it up through the crankcase passages, then into the oil filter, out of the
oil filter, then into the oil cooler, out of the oil filter and to the engine oil passages.
Then the Coolant goes into the Oil Cooler, into the Crankcase, circulates to the left and out of the Oil Cooler. Thus the heat
exchange is taking place over about a 3 inch long Coolant passage inside an Oil passage? Someone jump in here if you have
the facts and hopefully pics.

Rectangle Font Parallel Gas Engineering

Well, the Pirate has maxed out the number of pics that I can insert in a Post. So I will end this one and
start another post with the rest of doing a Top End Rebuild on a Polaris General 1000 Engine.

I'm interested in your comments. As you will read, there are a number of things I learned in this project.

More to come.

Pirate

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 rc
145 Posts
Pirate,
I went thru the muddy head stage twice with my 08 RZR. What a pain, first time head, valves etc,, second time head, valves, jugs, pistons etc. Although I did become proficient at doing it, The process was never fun! Total POS intake/filtration system back then. I believe you felt that pain back then. I guess 8000 or so miles is not that bad for a top end but at the rate I'm going that won't take long. Considering the much improved intake on the General and spotless air filter what are your thoughts on the root cause of the failure? Simply high mileage or crap fuel? I would like to avoid having to do a top end refresh that soon if I could!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
You know dean, I think if there was a failure, it was the valve guides, all eight of them were loose. But leave the old head in the Toybarn where it gets a little cold overnight. And the guides don't feel anywhere near as loose. So then if it takes 10 tries and the engine fires a couple of times, but won't catch. Then I was building some heat in the engine. And the false starts continue until there is enough warmth in the engine to tighten up the valve guides enough to seal things up and the engine fires and runs. The rest of the day there is plenty of heat in the engine to keep things snug and it fires on the first turn of the key. The next morning...back to square one.
Terry Gilomen commented by the look of the oil and the look of the components that I was doing a great job of maintaining the engine. So I don't think it was anything I did or didn't do.
I switched to Engine Ice coolant in 2019 when I installed the larger radiator. Coolant temp usually runs about 179 to 186 on the trail. I have the UTV inc. Fan Override kit. Flip the fan on as we leave camp and shut it off when we get back to camp.
So not really sure what is causing the valve guide wear. I have a hydraulic press and may try getting the old guides out and measuring them against new guides and see what I learn.\
Pirate

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
481 Posts
Pirate,

It is possible that the guide wear is just simply from RPM? These Generals spin a ton of RPM for the speed we're doing. The general is around 7k rpm for 50 mph and your car is 1500 rpm. That's a lot of difference...

Also heat. I believe the stock muffler holds a ton of heat in the head/exhaust. I've found that if I ride at night I can see the muffler is 3/4 cherry red along with a good chunk of the pipe.... maybe a less restrictive muffler without sound gain could add life to those guides... ive been looking at the SLP muffler for this issue...

Just thoughts, thanks for the great write up!!!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Lueck89,
Kinda odd, how fast do you drive your machine? I don't let my RPM get higher than the RPM in the motorhome. It's governed at about 2600 rpm...LOL!!
You are correct. Often cruising about 6500 rpm is a lot of RPM. Newbies often asking about it.
I'm going to take another look at the old Cylinder Head and see if I can determine how close the water jacket gets to the areas of the guides. That might be useful.
Also going to see if I can refurbish this head for next time.

I've been running an MBRP exhaust for several years now. (maybe 2017?) Last year I used some DEI (DesignEngineering.com) exhaust thermal wrap and put two layers
on the exhaust system from the exhaust ports to the connection with the mufflers. Figured it would keep some heat off the bottom of the bed and keep more heat in the
pipe for at least a bit of an efficiency gain. But don't know that this would have anything to do with worn exhaust guides.
Pirate

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hey, I've got the Polaris Heater/Defroster kit. Installed by dealer before I took delivery on May 20, 2016.
So how the heck would I know? And besides, has anyone posted or provided a link to the instructions for that heater????
Pirate

·
Registered
2019 rc
145 Posts
I was wondering if your new head had Kibble white valve guides installed, I believe they are bronze. They also make some high quality looking triple grind valves. I believe the guides must be honed specifically for each valve. Knowing you there is probably a .50 cal ammo can full of them in your shop!! Lol

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
481 Posts
Figured it would keep some heat off the bottom of the bed and keep more heat in the
pipe for at least a bit of an efficiency gain. But don't know that this would have anything to do with worn exhaust guides.
Pirate
Just coming from the little that I know.... but IMO excess heat anywhere typically means excess wear... I would think that if you could exhaust some of the heat faster from the head/pipe/muffler that would help longevity of the valves/springs/guides... just a thought, I maybe 100% wrong in that thought process though... I'm no motor expert by any means. But have read/experienced enough that excess heat or not enough heat is killer for any motor...

But I do think the RPM thing is a large factor in why the guides are wore as much as they are. I don't think there's anything a person can do to prevent that though and honestly if I get 8-10k out of the top end I think I'll take it. I dont think that's horrible... if I could get 8-10k on a top end and 16-18k on a whole motor before rebuild I'd be 100% fine with that....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nooo...not everything General. The accessories I ordered at the time I ordered the General, I haven't looked at anything else. I ordered them, paid for them at the time and then got a solid commitment from the dealer that when they arrived they would be stashed safely and not sold to someone else that wanted them as bad as I did. Sure enough, they were all there before the General arrived and all installed by the dealer. Let's see now. Front glass windshield, Rear glass windshield, Heater/Defroster kit, Windshield Wiper/Washer kit, Front and Rear bumpers, Winch wireless remote, and I think that's about it. As soon as I got the machine home, with less than a mile on the odometer, the Hilliard diff came out and when to Jeff at JJandA Racing Products for Blueprinting and Upgrades. The Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW skid plate set went on. The SuperATV High Clearance front A-arms went on. The UTV inc. Fan Override kit went in. The Sea Blue Systems fuse blocks went in.
So if there are other accessories that compete with these, I know nothing, nothing!

The bare head that Terry got a hold of is bone stock. I don't know what guides Polaris uses. But intend to find out when I refurbish the old head.
The valves do not have what I expected to see. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow. It has one seat ring where it makes contact with the seat. But it doesn't seem to be a perfect circle nor is it necessarily parallel to the face of the valve. That could be some bending of the valve stem too.

There are probably a dozen 50 cal ammo can in the Toybarn. Some from my Dad, some mine. They are full of well, hmmm...something the boys are probably going to have to figure out when I'm gone, cuz I can't remember.
Pirate

21 - 40 of 46 Posts