Polaris General Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,229 Posts
Lueck89, you are probably correct. From Mopar days in my 20's I think I still have a #2 lead plate for my right shoe. And for my Harleys, a grip piece that went under the heel of my right hand, so I could keep the wick wide open without my wrist getting tired. So to expect something different in my General driving...well...I'm not admitting anything. Pleading the 5th!!

I guess one could ask what the crotch rockets with11,000 rpm red line motors are like. But then again, they have pistons about the size of a silver dollar don't they?

Some good questions I'll aske of Terry!

Pirate

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pirate - were they able to change pistons and hone your cylinders without pulling the motor? If so, it must have been a bear to get those cylinders back down over the piston rings with very limited space. I always thought the only way to do this split the cases and unbolt the connecting rods.

·
Registered
2019 rc
145 Posts
Having done my rzr 800 top end twice many years ago as I recall I had the Pistons into the cylinders and then lowered the cylinder on towards the connecting rod and then just slid my wrist pins in and circlips, the way the skirt comes down in the cylinder enables you to do that, never did have to pull the motor out and jugs are nikasil coated and cannot be honed.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
There you have it.
Unfortunately, I saw the pistons, one in the cylinder and one out the top. While things were apart. A new set of OEM piston rings were on the bench for reassembly.
A new gasket for the joint between the cylinder and case was included in the reassembly parts.
When I arrived at Gilomen Innovations on Thursday morning about 9:30. The motor was completely reassembled.
The original pistons went back in, with a new set of piston rings. Looking down at the motor. With new rings on, and today's tools, I don't think it's that hard to put the cylinder down over the pistons. I cannot tell you if the piston tops were cleaned before reassembly.
Missed a lot early Thursday morning, and I think that was on purpose.
Pirate

Sadly, I cannot tell you if the cylinder was removed and the bores touch up honed. But I can tell you, and the pictures show, that a good bit of the factory hone cross hatch pattern is still present.

Got out of order on my phone somehow...

·
Registered
2019 rc
145 Posts
I have given incorrect information on cylinder honing, yes Nikasil can be honed, I was told many years ago that due to the thickness or lack thereof in the Nikasil coating that I would be better off just buying new jugs which I did. You can actually acid etch, or diamond hone cylinders as long as there is no real damage to achieve a light cross hatch. In all my sled rebuilds and my RZR I just bought new jugs as for me this was cheap insurance. Sorry for the misinformation💩 Sorry Pirate didn't mean to butt in!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ppppfffttt....jump right in Dr Drywall Ha!
I was looking for Nikasil coated piston for my 800 and was told NoGo. Had no idea, no info the cylinder was Nikasil plated/coated. Something learned!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts