Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people say there are no stupid questions. Well that’s BS, I know there are… and here’s one now:

Just saw Pirate talking about having the ‘Top End’ done on his ride. I’m not much of a wrench guy and I don’t know what that means. But I’ve read enough posts by Pirate to know it must mean something - and I need to know what the **** it is! Please help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,225 Posts
Well...I didn't get very far with that post...yet..
What it means is that in doing a leak down test the right, passenger side, cylinder won't hold pressure hardly at all. It bleeds off really quickly,
The left cylinder, driver side, held about 40 psi after five minutes. down from 100 psi. So not very good.
Upon disassembly. The exhaust valve guides are badly worn, The right cylinder, outside exhaust valve wobbles a whole lot. This is where I ended up. Have to get the seven second video on YouTube to be able to put it on the forum.
The valves have all lost the full circle valve to valve seat sealing ring. So all the valve guides are worn. It seems they are not replaceable.
So ended up buying a new bare cylinder head. All new valves and other parts I have to look at my invoice to list.
The cylinder still has a good deal of the factory honing cross hatch pattern so just a fast clean up honing and new piston rings.
The cams look like new. The "buckets" I'll explain a lot more with pics. were usable.
The cam chain tensioner, on first fire in the morning sounded like a hydraulic lifter that bled down. So moved to the new style mechanical. Which is said to be much better.
That was the bulk of what was done.
Thus far I have about 100 feet on the motor. Pulling away from Terry Gilomen's shop and into my Mobile Garage (enclosed trailer). The motor sounded awesome. But if you can imagine, I'm being dragged off to Mexico. Some place about 50 miles South of Cancun. El Dorado Seaside Suites? Eight gold apple? Have to wear shirt with collar, slacks and casual shoes to dinner? Four of BOSS' children and spouses will be there. And all I did was fork over a credit card...so final assembly and getting some miles has to wait DANG IT!!!

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General W/ Camso Tracks
23 Posts
Still in Colorado Springs. Up at 4 to get to the airport at 5 for a flight that leaves at 7:45.
Did I tell ya I hate flying!!!
Flying sucks! I just got to Mexico tonight. Sounds like we are in the same neck of the woods down here though. So far I’m loving Mexico, puerto aventuras is where I’m at for the next week

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Have a good trip you two.
It might not be what you would prefer to do but be thankful you are still able to do it!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
No doubt Johnny. The question is, what might this South African variant do to the trip and to getting home? Seeing a bit on CNN. Ugh!!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Flying sucks! I just got to Mexico tonight. Sounds like we are in the same neck of the woods down here though. So far I’m loving Mexico, puerto aventuras is where I’m at for the next week
Whereabouts in Puerto Aventuras? Stayed at Palace Resorts there a couple of times. If I've got the name right.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Nope, not a vacation. Since we retired, we take Trips not vacations.
I'm with you. Salt water makes all my scars burn. I wear sandals, hate shoes full of sand. But tip the girls $5 and never have an empty Pina Colada cup.
And I figure if we come a other couple of times...getting a 4 cylinder RZR should be a breeze! Right?? Hopefully a 4 cylinder General!
Pirate

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General W/ Camso Tracks
23 Posts
View attachment 73269
Looks like an awful place to spend a week doesn't it?
And two Pina Coladas on a tray between us.
I could do this...for six more days...
We are at
View attachment 73269
Looks like an awful place to spend a week doesn't it?
And two Pina Coladas on a tray between us.
I could do this...for six more days...
We are staying at a place called dreams here. Wouldn’t recommend the resort but have been having a lot more fun than I expected exploring outside the resort. Give me mountains first but I found out scuba diving is a blast is well! Gonna check out Cozumel in a couple days I think.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
RSVLT,
As long as you're having a good time, that's all that counts! Be very careful in Cozumel! I have a picture of my beloved with 7 of these 2 foot tall margarita glasses in front of her at Senor Frog's. All of them empty. All of them in her. Made the last ferry back to the mainland. Got back to the resort, and she missed the next two days.

So be careful!! It was a lot of fun rented a 100cc scooter and rode the outer perimeter of the island. Lots of places to stop along the way at secluded beaches and beach side bars!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Both my homes that I own have ocean views. One is Lomas Del Mar which overlooks the Bay of Todos Santos ( south of Ensenada) and one is South Campos ( Campo San Martin). What a life!!!!!! Total cost per year......$6500
Life is good amigos and amigas

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS Pirate if you really want to go to one of my favorite places in Mexico. It’s Huatulco (watt-2-co) it’s a great little coast touristy town located in the state of Oaxaca with the greatest shrimp tacos and cold cold margaritas you’ll ever find and if you get tired of them you can switch to big ole Lobster or a nice Yellow fin or Blue fin steak
PSS Jclark??? First 45 record I ever bought......Surfin USA.......Beach Boys
Cloud Sky Plant Water Flower
Cloud Sky Plant Water Flower
Sky Property Plant Furniture Flowerpot
Furniture Table Stool Wood Interior design
Sky Water Building Azure Land lot

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
471 Posts
Both my homes that I own have ocean views. One is Lomas Del Mar which overlooks the Bay of Todos Santos ( south of Ensenada) and one is South Campos ( Campo San Martin). What a life!!!!!! Total cost per year......$6500
Life is good amigos and amigas

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS Pirate if you really want to go to one of my favorite places in Mexico. It’s Huatulco (watt-2-co) it’s a great little coast touristy town located in the state of Oaxaca with the greatest shrimp tacos and cold cold margaritas you’ll ever find and if you get tired of them you can switch to big ole Lobster or a nice Yellow fin or Blue fin steak
PSS Jclark??? First 45 record I ever bought......Surfin USA.......Beach Boys View attachment 73285 View attachment 73285 View attachment 73286 View attachment 73287 View attachment 73288
Must be nice…..GOOD FOR U

1 - 20 of 46 Posts