Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2019 rc
308 Posts
I bought one of those small 12v heaters a few years back for my enclosed RZR before installing OEM heater, Tried it once, been on the shelf for years. Not enough heat output for anything other than defrosting a SMALL portion of the windshield.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
@motoxmike541

Carbon monoxide issue is a real one but if the area is vented properly (at the top) these can be used safely.
I know you have most likely seen many people who have been sickened or died from using them improperly but the ones who use them correctly never need to call you, so you only see the bad.
Don't get me wrong though, as I would not use one of these in a moving vehicle myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Moto, what is it going to take to wake these guy up, was in the fire department to ,what don’t they understand.
The problem is they won’t wake up. Carbon monoxide is the “ silent killer”. It’s colorless , odorless, and virtually undetectable without a gas monitor. This time of year I respond to at least one CO alarm in a 24 hour shift sometimes more . Some are faulty dectectors, some with and some without patients. Most of the time is a faulty furnace. Usually a plugged up vent. My god your riding for fun. Suck it up and dress warm. Layer your clothing. Cab enclosures keep out 95% of the cold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@motoxmike541

Carbon monoxide issue is a real one but if the area is vented properly (at the top) these can be used safely.
I know you have most likely seen many people who have been sickened or died from using them improperly but the ones who use them correctly never need to call you, so you only see the bad.
Don't get me wrong though, as I would not use one of these in a moving vehicle myself.
Indoors propane heater are designed for use in a medium to large room. Using an indoor propane heater in a cab of a side by side is just crazy. When a propane heater burns the incomplete combustion puts off CO. Remember for the propane heater to work it needs oxygen. It’s using the oxygen as fuel and putting off CO as exhaust. In a small enclosed area it will use up the oxygen and leave Carbon monoxide. It’s like a person. You breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide. Propane breathes in oxygen and breathes out CO.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris General 1000 Premium
666 Posts
Wonder why they call them golf cart heaters....
They have shutoffs for to much corbin monoxide, as much air comes threw my enclosure you could sit in there with a open propane tank and not get poisoned🤣, and I use to work on campers so know about carbon monoxide poisoning, just don't go to sleep in it with it idleing and heat going wide open😁

·
Registered
82 Posts
Automotive mirror Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle Rear-view mirror

Wonder why they call them golf cart heaters....
They have shutoffs for to much corbin monoxide, as much air comes threw my enclosure you could sit in there with a open propane tank and not get poisoned🤣, and I use to work on campers so know about carbon monoxide poisoning, just don't go to sleep in it with it idleing and heat going wide open😁
Its called a golf cart heater for a gold cart that doesn’t have an enclosure. Check out the picture. r
Read about them. There is a warning telling you NOT to use in small enclosed areas. Your genius comment “ just don’t go to sleep” tells me just how intelligent you really are. Every year approximately 50000 people visit the emergency rooms for CO poisoning. Last year 430 people “ just fell to sleep” and met Jesus. i guess maybe they just weren’t as smart as you are.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris General 1000 Premium
666 Posts
View attachment 74006

Its called a golf cart heater for a gold cart that doesn’t have an enclosure. Check out the picture. r
Read about them. There is a warning telling you NOT to use in small enclosed areas. Your genius comment “ just don’t go to sleep” tells me just how intelligent you really are. Every year approximately 50000 people visit the emergency rooms for CO poisoning. Last year 430 people “ just fell to sleep” and met Jesus. i guess maybe they just weren’t as smart as you are.
I'm smart enough to know the small buddy heaters have carbon monoxide cutoffs, I smart enough to know there's no way u gonna get it in that enclosure as much air gets threw there, your post tells me u a idiot!!! Smart---, one in every crowd, try to have fun and joke around and a know it all ruins it
430 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning last year
5041 choked to death last year, suggest u quit eating

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm smart enough to know the small buddy heaters have carbon monoxide cutoffs, I smart enough to know there's no way u gonna get it in that enclosure as much air gets threw there, your post tells me u a idiot!!! Smart---, one in every crowd, try to have fun and joke around and a know it all ruins it
430 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning last year
5041 choked to death last year, suggest u quit eating
Your right I might be a smart*** but at least I’m trying to keep someone from making a mistake that could get them sick or even kill them. You do what you want. That’s what’s great about America, we are free to do what we want. Stay safe and if your ever in southwestern Pennsylvania look me up we can go riding. I own 385 acres and have a lot of trails and a 1 mile motocross track and a dedicated supercross track.

·
Registered
2022 general xp4 RC ghost white
297 Posts
Has anyone ever tried one of those 12v heaters that sit on the dash? The're around $25 on Amazon. Not sure if they throw off enough heat. I tried the Mr Heater thing once. The off-gasing was terrible and i was concerned that i would melt my dash from the heat. Never tried again and never will.
Not sure what brand it was but my brother in law had a little 12 volt heater in his new general used it for maybe 2 weeks then ordered the inferno heater, the 12 volt one was maybe enough heat to warm your hands while moving but severely overmatched for the generals cab and it was a 2 seater

·
Registered
2022 general xp4 RC ghost white
297 Posts
Been using propane heaters in my 6x8 enclosed deer stand for 20 years they have the low oxygen shutoffs and its homemade the windows are nowhere near airtight (by choice) for ventilation, and havent had a problem, not saying others wont have issues but little commen sense goes along way

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Tundra pro , general xp4
45 Posts
Put the new Tusk G4 uppers on last week which I’m very happy with. (Yes it took a little tweaking). Hopefully will invest in a heater next year but for the time being I’ll be rocking the mr buddy little heater with the 14.1oz bottles to fit in the cup holder. Going to take it out this weekend and if it goes out to much I’ll bypass the tip over switch which I heard does wonders. Also picked up the golf cart mr heater for my buddy. Kept it to compare the differences but I really like them both. View attachment 73919
View attachment 73914
View attachment 73918
View attachment 73917
View attachment 73916
View attachment 73915
View attachment 73913
View attachment 73912
Put the new Tusk G4 uppers on last week which I’m very happy with. (Yes it took a little tweaking). Hopefully will invest in a heater next year but for the time being I’ll be rocking the mr buddy little heater with the 14.1oz bottles to fit in the cup holder. Going to take it out this weekend and if it goes out to much I’ll bypass the tip over switch which I heard does wonders. Also picked up the golf cart mr heater for my buddy. Kept it to compare the differences but I really like them both. View attachment 73919
View attachment 73914
View attachment 73918
View attachment 73917
View attachment 73916
View attachment 73915
View attachment 73913
View attachment 73912
Hi it’s Ron your buggy looks great if you don’t mind me asking do u like your tusk upper doors I was looking at them

·
Registered
2021 XP 4
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi it’s Ron your buggy looks great if you don’t mind me asking do u like your tusk upper doors I was looking at them
yes I am. I have a few rides on them now and they are awesome. A few gaps still exist but for half the cost of the Polaris onesI am overall very pleased with them. Had just at shirt on this weekend riding around in the snow with no heater. Plus the inside stays so much cleaner.

·
Premium Member
General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition, Shock Therapy, Rugged Radio, Factory UTV Skid, Hunterworks
507 Posts
I run a forced air propane torpedo heater in my Man cave, no issues of CO2 nor a drop in O2, As long as the unit is functioning as designed and working properly, spend 6-10 hours out in the shop, with it running, no issues.
Yes, IF you have a heat source that is not clean burning, you can run into CO2 issues (BBQ grills, plugged heater vents, combustion engines, poor exhaust venting.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
Just spend the money and get the Polaris Heater/Defroster kit. Got mine installed when I purchased the General in May 2016. Didn't use it at all. Then in September 2017 we're on the Alpine Loop,
almost to the top of Engineer pass. Wife, er BOSS, has already got my Carhartt zipper sweatshirt. She's still freezing, and it starts to sleet, great I'm gonna freeze to death. Then BOSS reaches down,
turns the temp all the way up, turns the fan to 3. And next thing you know, its nice and warm in the cab, we're rolling down the pass, Polaris windshield wiper doing its thing. Life is good!!
Have the Polaris safety glass windshield and rear windshield. No side windows. Just don't see a need for them. Now, I'm not one out riding much in the middle of Winter. But this year we spent the month of January in Salome, AZ. there were many days it was warmer in Southern Colorado than Salome. BOSS just turned the heater on and it made for a great ride!!
I'm happy, BOSS is happy..
Pirate

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
Another thought...I have two CO monitors in my Toybarn. Plugged into outlets that I put 18" off the floor. That's where CO collects, ground level. Both also have battery back-up. So with a Li-Ion battery they'll last quite a while before the battery goes. Push the Test button...gads I smacked my forehead when that thing went off!! They're virtually silent unless in alarm. So one could put it right by their head when sleeping.
I have one mounted at floor level in the motorhome...just in case. I've only known a couple men that lost their lives to Carbon Monoxide. What an awful thing. Families are devastated. Their businesses were left a mess, and a friend was lost. No reason for that!
If you use one in a tent or confined shop, how often do you make sure your space is actually ventilating? I use propane heaters in my Toybarn. But its a 40'x60'x12' steel building. So lots of open space. I do open the front door for a couple minutes an hour just to turn the air over. Never have set one of the CO monitors into alarm. But they sure are noisy when the battery gets low.
Pirate

21 - 40 of 47 Posts