Polaris General Forum banner

MMX's Red General

73K views 127 replies 40 participants last post by  deanrowski 
#1 · (Edited)
Like many others, I plan to personalize and mod this thing. I'll use this thread to document my progress.

Start it off with a welcome home...

I promptly took it for a spin, as soon as I got it off the trailer. Man this thing has got some getty up.

Cool down...

It dwarfs my wife's MX5. lol

I order some switches off ebay early in the week, and they arrived yesterday. Haven't had it 2 hours, and already cutting on it.

Don't have any lights yet, but at least the switches are ready.

I have a bunch of 1.5" tubing, so why not save a few bucks, and build my own front bumper. Got a decent start on it.

And my Low Buck bender. I've logged quite a few hours with this thing.

Good times.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Yes, but for now I have the comp and tank mounted to a board, that I can take in and out. Once I can find a good place to put them, I'll mount them permanent.

Like to see more on your bender also! Congrats !
I have this one Williams Lowbuck Tools, Inc. Tubing Bender

I bought it a long time ago, after seeing stuff I wanted, but the prices were ridiculous, figured I could build it myself.

This was my first project...

Later on, I got a little more serious...

I body dropped this truck 3.5 inches. A lot of fab on this one, even made my own cowl induction hood.

I seem to have hijacked my own thread. LOL

#9 · (Edited)
Here's the compressor and tank mounted on the board, for now.

Going to have a quick disconnect for airing up tires, or blowing the dust off ourselves after a long ride. I also have a big rig horn that might find it's way on there.

Worked on the bumper a little more today...

Still got to do the bottom mounts, cap the tube ends, and finish weld it.

Trying to decide whether to paint it black, or try to match the red plastics.

And where I'm storing it, until I have a better solution...

I don't think I could get anything else in this garage.

#14 · (Edited)
Took a break from the bumper project, and decided to knock out the compressor install. After a lot of thought, I determined it better to put everything in the bed. I was going to mount the comp. under the hood, but it gets pretty hot, and didn't want to warp my hood. So I made a rack to mount the tank and comp on. Forgot to get a picture of, before putting it all together, but here's the result.

Quick disconnect on one end for airing up tires, or knocking the dust.

Ran the wires back close to the hinge point, so I won't have to worry about pulling them tight, when the bed is dumped.

Past that the wires are inside 1/2" air line for protection

A quickie project, I pulled the Polaris badge from the hood, and made my own with my MM logo, at work.

#16 · (Edited)
Got a much needed rear view mirror from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Nice tube clamp. This thing should be pretty sturdy, and going by the reviews I read, it's been a good one for a lot of people.

Here's a link, and the price was right.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1021/25102/Tusk-UTV-Mirror-Kit?term=tusk+mirrors

Also got some Kydex to make some guards out of. I know Alaskan is making some top notch items, but part of the fun for me, is the fab work.

Got some push clips on the way as well.

:)

#17 · (Edited)
Finally got most of my homemade guards installed, need a couple more fasteners to do the front.

Battery cover...

Gas tank side...

Radiator guards...

Not as nice as Alaskan's, I'm sure, but should serve the purpose.

Also, put the General to work a little. Here's it hooked up to my home built yard work trailer...

Even it's red. :)

It use to be my ATV trailer, I built to match the truck I had at the time. It had full air ride suspension.

Man, I get side tracked easy, when making post.

#25 · (Edited)
Installed a 32" light bar today. Thought I was going to be able to use the brackets that came with it, and knock the install out quick, but didn't work out that way.

Wound up making my own brackets.

I used the brackets on the cage to mount to...

Couldn't wait for it to completely get dark, I had to try it out.
Just the hi-beam headlights...

Light bar...instant day time.

Last week, I added this led light strip to light up the inside at night.

Works much better than I expected...

I still need some rear facing lights, and I'd like to get a couple small spots too.

#27 · (Edited)
Swapped out the factory headlight bulbs for LEDs.

They match the light bar pretty good, although the spots in the center of the bar are a little blueish.

Just the headlights on...

Headlights and light bar...

Here's the box, in case anybody wants to know what they are.

Got most of a horn install done today, but decided to order a horn switch that'll match my other rocker switches. The horn is a Nautilus I had left over from a car I use to have.

#29 ·
I don't do a lot of riding at nite but wow! I do like the led headlights thanks for sharing will look into them! I also enjoy the making of a lot of what I use building is just as much fun as riding it! :laugh:

#30 · (Edited)
Didn't get as far on these sliders as I wanted, but they are well on their way.

Just set on with the bolts not tightened.

I'll probably do another set of tubes to the top mounting point at the rear, and run one across and down to the main tube. Much like Polaris' arrangement, but much closer to the body. I also plan to plate the bottom tube underneath, and have it wrap back up, to the inside of the frame. Later I'm going to buy a sheet of UHMW, and make my own skid plate, and whatever else I can think of. A 4x10 sheet will go a long way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.