Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 XP that is throwing a misfire code and going into derate and will **** down the engine power. Any ideas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misfire, it said cylinder 1 & 2, the cylinder 1 code cleared but still has engine misfire code and cylinder 2 code

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Nope, you have the Misfire Detection issue Polaris gave us to prevent fuel build up in the mufflers and possibly cause a fire. Us 2016 and early 2017 owners got it via a recall.

Ever since introduction its been a problem. No one, that I know of, really understands what causes the engine to go into limp mode and the check engine light to come on.
Shut down, restart and the limp mode will be gone about 1/4 mile and the check engine light goes out!

But there is great news...Terry of Gilomen Innovations developed a fix for the ECU program that lessens the sensitivity of the Misfire Detection in the ECU. Send him your ECU
and for about $200 you'll never have it happen again!

For about $450 (don't quote me on the prices, I got mine done in March 2018) he'll install his complete ECU program...your machine will run about 10 degrees cooler, make 8-9 hp more,
and your machine will run a lot better...don't ask me for details...but it makes a heck of a difference.

Believe me, it's worth every penny!!! Lots of posts on here.

And usually 24hr turnaround.

Pirate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pirate I found your thread from awhile back, thanks! Can you use Gilomens tune on 2 different machines, I own an ‘17 and a ‘20 Xp

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Or you can buy a new ECU from Terry and have him program it like some of us have done.

·
Registered
684 Posts
There is also a third option, He'll sell you a used ECU. Like Johnny, I went with the new one and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yes, I bought a new ECU from Terry to get it in time to enjoy the remaining date.

I then had my OEM ECU programmed. So I have one in the machine and one spare...actually, as about anyone knows... Recommend the GI ECU program to everyone I can. That has added to
Terry's business. So he did my OEM gratis.

If you swapped one from machine to machine you would need to follow Terry's instructions on set-up each time you moved it to another machine.

Pirate

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Check your belt. I've had those codes before, when the belt was slipping. I have never had those codes any other time.
I have read where people have posted what you just did. "when the belt was slipping". I'm asking, how does that happen? The only time I can think of is just before a belt fails. Or a belt that is so glazed on the sides...but then again that's just about when a belt fails.

Back in January 2018 when I had the problem about 8 times a day, for several days... I made contact with DuraClutch...that I had just put in a couple months before.

What they had heard and were considering was belt slip and instantaneous loss of synchronization between the Crank Position Sensor and the ECU. Inspecting the clutch sheave faces and belt, no sign of anything. No scuffing on the sheaves, no glazing, cuts, burn spots on the belt. Every thing looking just as is should.

Reviewed receipts and hmmm...I installed the DuraClutch kit and, in the same month, I had taken my General to the dealer and had the ECU re-programming & steering column fastener recall done, that was September.
Had no problems the first month riding the Alpine Loop between 9000 and 13,000 feet elevation. Then the General rested until we headed to Arizona for a few weeks in January 2018 an the issue reared its ugly head!
I tried the different DuraClutch weights, tried a different DuraClutch Primary Clutch, tried a different, new, belt. Nothing worked. That's when I went looking and found Terry Gilomen.

I've come to see this issue as much like the Pinion shaft nut backing off in the RZR 800 rear differential. It happens, but there doesn't seem to me an Engineering explanation.
Pullerguy and I worked out a solution for the Pinion shaft issue. But was it caused by a harmonic? Using a large Nylok nut? Being too rough on the machine? Nope, it just happens.
At how many miles, nope not that either. So do the "Tight Nut Dance" and done, haven't heard of one failing after the fix.

So the Misfire Detection? Terry's work was to figure the Polaris programming out and desensitize it. That's the solution. But from mid-2017 every ECU with the Polaris program installed, which has not changed, has the potential to develop the issue as described in this post. Why some owners develop the issue and other don't? I dunno? Can anyone provide and Engineering explanation. Nope. But Gilomen Innovations has a solution that works great!

So Buelligan666, I'm curious as to whether you had belt slip or perhaps your experience with the Misfire Detection issue?

All the best,
Pirate

·
Registered
129 Posts
My belt got wet, Slipped and bam there it was, dried ever thing out havent had it come back. Ive also heard of really aggressive tires ex.bkts causing this issue as they almost bounce on hard pack causing things to slow down and speed up same as a miss fire or belt slip

·
Registered
647 Posts
Pirate, I had a belt begin to fail. The outer cogs started pealing away. It would run and drive fine, until you gave it a heavy pedal, then check engine light and limp mode. It also did it when I got the belt wet when using the wash pump at one of the parks we used to frequent.

My friend submerged his RZR XP. Same codes when he tried to limp it off the trail. I have read and talked to a few others that get that engine code when the belt has been wet or ready to fail.

Since installing my Duraclutch, I have never had that code come up. In all actuality the 2 instances I listed are the only times it's happened on my machine. I think Polaris must have fixed the misfire detection issue themselves. Maybe there was another update since the one you received that started the issue in your machine. My group of riding friends all have newer than 17MY machines. No one complains of those codes, unless experiencing belt slip. Just my experience. I don't want to see anyone spend $450 and ship their ECU off, if they just got their belt wet and didn't realize it was slipping.
IMG_20200628_101048812.jpg
IMG_20200628_101043395.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Buelligan666,
Interesting thoughts. When my General was really acting up, it was in Arizona and not a drop of water to be seen for miles. So I'm not sure. It could well be that going submarine can get enough water in the CVT housing to get the belt to slip. But that's not my riding style.

As you can read in my response...my issue cropped up after the recall and installing the DuraClutch. So both were present when it started. And continued until the Gilomen Innovations fix.

If you get the complete Gilomen Innovations ECU program. You take care of the issue or potential issue but you also get a machine that runs so much better. An extra 8-9 hp, coolant runs 10 degrees cooler, all the way around one will be impressed the way the machine runs!! Try it you'll like it. Just sayin'.

This will remain an issue for every owner that has the issue pop up and hasn't read about it on this forum.

So it goes!

Pirate

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would like to do the ECU flash someday. For now, the General does a great job for what we use it for. Pirate, are you being compensated by all the companies you use? Because you're their best salesman for sure!! You're always getting into my wallet!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Sigh...well I do get some kudos from some of those I work with. I do get a few new parts to test. But monetary compensation? Nope, not a dime.

But this busted up ol' biker gets a lot of satisfaction from being able to help others and learn from others. Oh, and helping others run up their credit card bills. You know, good stuff!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I would like to do the ECU flash someday. For now, the General does a great job for what we use it for. Pirate, are you being compensated by all the companies you use? Because you're their best salesman for sure!! You're always getting into my wallet!
It's only $220 fir cryin' out loud. That takes care of the Misfire Detection that can show up at any time. You're liable, who knows for sure, to have that problem crop up.
Pirate

1 - 20 of 25 Posts