Polaris General Forum banner

Wyoming, Big Horns

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  kc81c 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for advice. We will be traveling to the big horns in July. We are staying at the middle of the fork campgrounds east of buffalo. We have a day and a half of riding till we go back to the black hills. We have never been there so looking for any advice on some must see trails while we are there for the short time. Thanks for any help.

#6 ·
I'm struggling a bit with the forest road numbers because it is a big list, there is a lot of numbers but I found these two links to maps and its pretty easy to overlay them.

Snowmobile Map index.php (wyo.gov)

ORV Map index.php (wyo.gov)

We always stayed at the Burgess Junction area. We spent most of our time on C or S down to A then to K or D. P is a highway although if I read right Licensed ORV are legal in WY. We never spent much time on H or LH it always seemed more open and wind blowen in the winter, but I have no idea what it is like in the summer.

It would be great to hear if anyone has rode this area and what they thought of it. It has probably been 8 years since I was out there, but it was a fun area.

#11 ·
We stayed and rode out of Bear Lodge in July of 2021. We had been going to the Black HIlls the past few years. I love the Hills for the fact if you have poor weather there is more to do if you decide to not ride for a day. That being said, I would drive right on through and not think twice to ride the Big Horns. I have Ride Command maps if anyone wants from the 2 1/2 days we rode. Nothing like playing in the snow in the middle of July. I do ride a RZR, but Dad has a 2022 General XP RC, that I am hoping to get him to go out to WY and ride in the next couple of years. Always nice to hear about new places to ride. Picture was our group at one of the reservoirs.
Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Car

#7 ·
I've spent a night at the motel at Burgess Junction. Thought that would be a good place to start. Now in a motorhome so things might change some.
Yes, our General is licensed in AZ, and we've ridden the streets of Cooke City

Thanks for the links. I'll see what I can find!

Pirate

#8 ·
From what a friend told me that was out last summer there was people dry camping all over the place on forest roads. I think Wyoming is the same. Cooke City is a crazy little town. Its in MT but you can only get to it from Wyoming. In the winter you can only drive in from the west or ride in on snowmobile from the east. Those are some of my favorite areas Big Horns, Cooke City area, and Island Park.

#10 ·
when sledding out there, we found that there were few trails, as it's mostly off trail riding. But there were trail maps available that were a routable PDF file. In other words, the GPS in your phone would show you where you were on the PDF Map.

Do not rely on Cellular maps that are not pre-cached as signal is minimal at best in the bighorns. We only got signal in small towns, or mountain tops. For example, Bear lodge has a phone at the bar that you can use if you drop a dollar in the cup!!

This would be a great place to explore in the summer for sure. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.