Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off I love the general and once all the issues are resolved I hope to be problem free for a while. I would highly suggest purchasing the extended warranty for these machines way to many small things can and will go wrong. I also have a 2013 xp 900 4 that I wish I would have purchased the extended warranty on. My list for the general is much larger than I think it should be. The worst one is while out on the trail I heard a horrible grinding in the rear of machine. Stopped and looked one of the brake pads had fallen out of the rotar. Pulled the wheel off and the hub was about to fall off. Completely trashed the caliper and disk. There was no pin through the axle nut. Pretty hard to believe it would just come out if installed correctly at the factory. Glad I wasn't doing 70 when this happed. I was 200 miles from home and did quite the bush fix. Just removed entire caliper with 1 shoe remaining and wired it to frame under the bed tightened the axle nut put some wire through it and put the wheel back on and down the road we went. Other warranty issues so far. Won't start. Think it needs the valves adjusted. Door seperation. Gas gauge always reads half full clock always flashed 12:00. Rear view mirror fell off in my lap. Like I said still an awesome machine but I really wish polaris would work on quality control instead of let's get as many out the door as we can...

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
gmman, I couldn't agree with you more, they need to step up there quality control big time. Also need to work with dealers on setup, the dealer that set my machine up was horrible, my mirror fell off in my lap also nuts were stripped out during setup and the roof looked like it had been drug on the ground around there parking lot before they put it on my machine!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Polarbear, I understand what you are saying about them not being able to control the dealerships, but they could at least train them on how to set these machines up the correct way. Somebody needs to be held accountable to do the set up right, if Polaris don't care then they are going to lose alot of customers for sure. I bought mine 2 hrs away from me, I took it to another dealership here by me and asked them to put the mirror back on for me, the first thing they asked me was where I bought it. I told them and they said I would have to take it up with them, I don't agree with that, but thats where Polaris needs to stand up and take control of there dealerships and make them do what needs to be done to take care of custumers. I have worked at GM for 21 years and if we did something like that, we would get fired on the spot. Polaris, just like GM, if its an authorized dealership, they should take care of the customer no matter where they bought the product. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other thing I think is pretty lame is no matter where I take my machines within a 100 mile radius its always going to be three weeks before they can even start to look at it. I said even warranty work on a machine less than a month old? Guess I should have asked for a loaner... oh well what choice do I have huh. Are there that many machines being worked on all the time. Or do they pay so little to the service people that they cant keep the jobs filled....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The other thing I think is pretty lame is no matter where I take my machines within a 100 mile radius its always going to be three weeks before they can even start to look at it. I said even warranty work on a machine less than a month old? Guess I should have asked for a loaner... oh well what choice do I have huh. Are there that many machines being worked on all the time. Or do they pay so little to the service people that they cant keep the jobs filled....
I just found out from the hardware store owner the Polaris dealer closet to me can't keep a good mechanic and he has outsourced to the local certified bike shop that I use for non warranty work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trapper, that don't sound very good. Sounds like maybe that owner is hard to work with, or he don't want to pay anything, one of the two!!

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mirror not a huge deal, the dealer put on and didn't do it correct. The hub-axle nut, that was factory and not good at all... Dealer set up does not require to check axle nut, only lugnuts. I have seen some poor door fitment and that the tops of them do have a gap, not snapping together like they should.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well took the General out on a long 170 mile ride last weekend and the same thing happened again with the rear brake. Came out of the caliper and pulled tire and cotter pin was gone and axle nut was almost falling off. So obviously they didnt fix all that was wrong with the machine from last time. Took it in on Monday and most of the parts are on back order to replace axle shaft, hub, bearing, and cant remember all the other parts they want to replace now. So I told them hey just take it back and Give me the 17 you have on the sales floor. Well they made me a deal I couldnt refuse so tomorrow I get to take all my stuff off my 16 and put it on my 17. Im hoping I have better luck with this one because I love the machine but I cant stand not having reliability. We go on some very extensive rides a long way from any kind of help. Wish me luck with the next one....

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Sound's like you got a 2016 General built on Monday morning , or Friday afternoon! glad to hear you was able to get rid of it and I hope for you. You got a better unit this time! Good luck keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
nice looking ride! then I mite be a little bias! >:)

Reactions: gmman5
1 - 13 of 13 Posts