Polaris General Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I am getting ready to move to summer mode and put my half shield in. Have lock and ride glass shield and factory wiper/washer kit, installed before I picked it up. If I removed shield, does wiper mount plate come with it, or stay in place? If with it, where are you supposed to disconnect washer fluid. Thanks! Love that 3 way switch idea too!!
I've pulled my windshield a few times for projects and just unplugged the harness going to the motor and pulled the tubing off of the spray nozzle. If you're worried about leaking a machine screw can be put in the tubing, then zip tie everything up out of the way behind the mirror.

·
Super Moderator
4,196 Posts
I've got my escape wiper motor installed, and now I need to gather up the rest of the pieces. Does anyone know a part number for the wire harness that would plug into the existing plug of the motor?
For what you asked the Motorcraft part number for the wire connector is # wpt1001 its the plug and a short wire leads about 6'' and shrink rap. I would go to a salvage yard and get one from a escape 2001 / 2007 or mercury mariner would bet you could get one cheaper then the $48 ford wants for one! :grin2:

Reactions: Witts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally done with mine, isteaded of making brackets, tapped and installed studs to hold motor. Parks on passenger side, washer system all working installed sprayer in hood, used three position rocker, up is wiper, middle off, down is washer and wiper, installed diode between the washer and wiper circuits.
I've got my escape wiper motor installed, and now I need to gather up the rest of the pieces. Does anyone know a part number for the wire harness that would plug into the existing plug of the motor?
For what you asked the Motorcraft part number for the wire connector is # wpt1001 its the plug and a short wire leads about 6'' and shrink rap. I would go to a salvage yard and get one from a escape 2001 / 2007 or mercury mariner would bet you could get one cheaper then the $48 ford wants for one!
What windshield washing bottle did you use

·
Registered
131 Posts
For what you asked the Motorcraft part number for the wire connector is # wpt1001 its the plug and a short wire leads about 6'' and shrink rap. I would go to a salvage yard and get one from a escape 2001 / 2007 or mercury mariner would bet you could get one cheaper then the $48 ford wants for one! :grin2:
That was my original plan, just wanted to find out how much for new. Thanks! I'm filling out my junkyard shopping list!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here's what I did. I bought a wiper motor from an escape, using the part number posted earlier. Then I made an adapter bracket... basically a plate with a couple holes and nuts welded to the back side so I could use the factory holes in the glass, and a stud welded to it so I could use the mounting hole on the right side of the wiper motor.

I bolted the plate to the windshield from the outside, into the nuts welded on the bracket. Then I set the wiper motor in place and tightened a nut into the stud. I ground down the Escape wedge-spacer and washer so that it would fit past the window frame, and trimmed the grommet so that it was really just a rubber washer. Then I installed the 'rubber washer', wedge, washer, and nut. There's not a lot of thread left due to the thickness of the adapter plate, but there's enough to get the nut on and tightened.

For the wiper arm, I had issues sourcing one from an escape, so I used NAPA part number 819-5864. For cross reference purposes, it should be the same as a Dorman 42579 (I think). It fits the front right of 95-98 Chevy/GMC trucks, suburbans, Yukons, etc., but it's way too long. So I ended up cutting it down and welding the j-hook back on so it's 12 inches from center of the head that connects to the motor to the center of the pivot on the wiper. (That made it 12.75 inches overall.) And that wiper arm has a couple of factory bends, so I removed those when I cut it to length. The toughest part of that was removing and re-installing the spring. That bugger is really stiff.

Finally, I installed a 13 inch wiper blade. That gives me the largest sweep area I can get and still maintain clearance (barely) from the wiper blade to the window frame on the bottom, and on the upper section of the driver's side (barely).

I haven't hooked up permanent power yet since my switch hasn't arrived. (Switch is a Cole Hersee intermittent wiper switch with push to spray function.) But I tested it with temp power and it's going to work great.

Thanks to all the forum members that weighed in on how to do this project. It's definitely worth the effort to save so much money. Cheers.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
313 Posts
Let's see if I can get this to work...

Here's a pic of the adapter plate.

And the modified wiper arm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally done with mine, isteaded of making brackets, tapped and installed studs to hold motor. Parks on passenger side, washer system all working installed sprayer in hood, used three position rocker, up is wiper, middle off, down is washer and wiper, installed diode between the washer and wiper circuits.
please more detail on how you tapped and installed studs........a couple of pix would be great

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the idea of using a stud, hadn't thought of that
Do you have a part number for the washer fluid reservoir?
Where did you get the switch? I like the idea of it having both wipe and wash in the same button.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wiper

I like the idea of using a stud, hadn't thought of that
Do you have a part number for the washer fluid reservoir?
Where did you get the switch? I like the idea of it having both wipe and wash in the same button.
From what I can find regarding that switch, it looks like a company by the name of BQLZR makes/made it. But I've looked everywhere for it. I found it a couple places, but couldn't buy it. I believe both bwr and mtorrence2000 were both able to obtain the switch. I agree, I really like the on-off-on function of the switch they used. Everything else I've found seems to just be 2 function rockers. I'm on the hunt for parts myself right now to do this same Ford Focus install, and would love to know where I can get this switch? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm thinking that a DPDT off-on-(on) or (on)-off-on would be the way to go now.

The (on) would be momentary where the on would stay on all the time.

I'm not an expert on wiring to be sure but I'm thinking that I could wire the wipers to the on part of the switch and then wire both the washer and wipers to the (on) part of the switch so when I hold the button down it washes and wipes at the same time until I let off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wiper Wiring

I'm uploading a sketch I made of what I deciphered from Elkhunt and bmr's wiring suggestions for the Ford Escape wiper motor and washer motor to a DPDT (On-Off-On) switch with 7 terminals. Could some off you that have wired this system take a look at this sketch and let me know if this looks right? It's a sloppy pencil sketch, so hopefully it gives enough info. I jumpered 3 - 4, and will run a wire out to the battery off of 4. I have the white/brown wire from the wiper motor going into 3 to park the wiper. I also have 1 and 5 going to 3 which I assume will keep the switch lighted at all times. I found it interesting that I had a blue wire in the Ford harness since no one mentioned blue. If this makes sense, and looks good, I will make up some wire harnesses. While I'm thinking about it, should I use a larger gauge wire off the terminals that go to the battery? The wires on the harness from the wiper motor aren't that big (Ø.073). I assume that is fine to use that size for all the harnesses, but want to make sure. Don't mind the top picture. I'm working on making a drawing for an adapter plate per ak-rider. :smile2: What an amazing wealth of knowledge on this forum!! I'm just getting my feet wet on here. This is fun stuff. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wiper Wiring

I'm uploading a sketch I made of what I deciphered from Elkhunt and bmr's wiring suggestions for the Ford Escape wiper motor and washer motor to a DPDT (On-Off-On) switch with 7 terminals. Could some off you that have wired this system take a look at this sketch and let me know if this looks right? It's a sloppy pencil sketch, so hopefully it gives enough info. I jumpered 3 - 4, and will run a wire out to the battery off of 4. I have the white/brown wire from the wiper motor going into 3 to park the wiper. I also have 1 and 5 going to 3 which I assume will keep the switch lighted at all times. I found it interesting that I had a blue wire in the Ford harness since no one mentioned blue. If this makes sense, and looks good, I will make up some wire harnesses. While I'm thinking about it, should I use a larger gauge wire off the terminals that go to the battery? The wires on the harness from the wiper motor aren't that big (Ø.073). I assume that is fine to use that size for all the harnesses, but want to make sure. Don't mind the top picture. I'm working on making a drawing for an adapter plate per ak-rider. :smile2: What an amazing wealth of knowledge on this forum!! I'm just getting my feet wet on here. This is fun stuff. Thanks.
Hey Everyone, I think I'm close on the wiring. I wired everything up like my sketch, but one thing seems off. The switch lights up great. However, when I press the wiper portion of the rocker, the wiper starts, but makes one pass and then parks/stops, and doesn't start again unless I press the rocker button again. I would think that when I push the button for the wiper, that the wiper would keep running until I press the button again to turn it off. As for the wiper/washer, it's my thought that if I press the rocker button for the wiper/washer function, it would run/squirt washer fluid until I release the button. Can anyone see where I might have something not quite wired right, or is the wiper meant to function this way? It just seems that if it's raining out, I would want the wiper to keep running when I turn it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Getting my parts list around , thanks Guys

·
Registered
313 Posts
I finally got around to installing a windshield washer in my General. I used that ACI 99300 universal kit that's all over Amazon and eBay. Installation of the tank was pretty easy on the back of the cab behind the passenger seat (on the back side of the small storage cubby). The bolts included in the kit were just a bit short, so I used some 3/4" 1/4-20 bolts and nylock nuts I had in the shop. It's out of the way, but it will still be convenient to check the fluid level when I tip the bed to check the oil during my pre-trip. Just had to mount it low enough that the lock-and-ride tubes on the front of the bed don't hit the tank when the bed closes.

There's definitely not enough hose in the kit to run from the tank to the nozzles, so I did have to buy 10' of 5/32 (4mm) washer/vacuum hose from the local auto parts store. You may want to order some hose at the same time you're ordering the kit if you want to save a couple bucks and a trip to the store. And, 10' was juuuuuust barely enough. Buy a little extra if you end up going this route unless you want to use some of the clear (vinyl?) hose that comes in the kit.

I pulled the upper cubby in the dash, as well as the cup holders, and ran a fish-tape through the grommet under the hood, then down and through the center console to the back of the cab, and into the engine bay. Then I pulled the wiring and washer hose through in one pull. I did pull the hose and pump wires (separately) through some 1/2" braided wire loom first to add some extra chafe protection.

I used the nozzles that were included in the kit, and mounted them on the fenders (see pic for location). Each nozzle has two spray streams, so I get great coverage, but it took a bit of adjusting with a very tiny welding tip cleaner (any small needle should work) to get the pattern how I wanted. As it sits now, I shouldn't have any problems clearing mud from the windshield with those four streams of fluid.

·
Super Moderator
4,196 Posts
I really like the location of your nozzles seem to work great! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: ak-rider

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really like the location of your nozzles seem to work great! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Ronnie. I know some people mounted their nozzle(s) on the hood. But I didn't want to have to remove the hose from the nozzle(s) every time I pulled the hood.

One thing to watch out for... I had the hood off when I initially adjusted the spray to where I wanted it. But when I put the hood back on, one of the streams was hitting the hood. Bah! Had to readjust to make sure everything cleared the hood. No big deal, just more adjustment needed. :crying: And, little adjustments at the nozzle makes a big difference in where the streams hit the glass. So it's adjust, spray, adjust, spray, adjust, spray ... dammit! ... adjust, spray, adjust, spray... ect. I think I used a half bottle of washer fluid doing nozzle adjustments. (Why didn't I just use regular water? Good question. lol) If I had enough hose to mount the nozzles an inch or two outboard of where I did, I don't think hood clearance would have been an issue. So having another foot or so of hose would have been helpful. :wink2:

But now that it's done, it's a clean and functional install. I like it!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts