Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are options for installing wiper on Polaris lock and ride glass windshield, would like to have full swing, anybody use the ford explorer rear wiper if so how does it work and what year did use it from?

·
Registered
94 Posts
2002-2004 Ford Escape , has great swing and a nice black cover if u or a Freind have Facebook search Polaris general Mike hudnut has post with video I got one of eBay , you'll need a couple thin metal straps a couple inches long to mount as the holes don't line up I also used a 60s chevy washer tank as it is short enough to mount under hood

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
To be exact 2001-2007 ford escape , 2005-2007 merc. mariner and 2001-2006 mazda milan in the process of doing one myself from a 05 escape got a bad motor on mine so replacement on the way will do write up when I get it installed if nobody beats me to it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
They are probably 2 speed however one wire ran it about right when I tried the other wire it would start to run and stop so I used the one that worked and cut the other off I used a stark 5 prong lighted switch and a two prong D.C. Plug in about four inches off the motor so the window can be removed

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
They are probably 2 speed however one wire ran it about right when I tried the other wire it would start to run and stop so I used the one that worked and cut the other off I used a stark 5 prong lighted switch and a two prong D.C. Plug in about four inches off the motor so the window can be removed
If you remember, what was the colors of the wires you used for positive and ground?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The wiring on the unit i have is:

Black is ground
Red is run (only one speed)
White is to park the wiper. (Can be hot all the time or just to park it.)

Now to go to otrattw switches to source a illuminated switch!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't remember the wire colors black was ground yes it will fit with factory stereo , it mounts to the window mine is a factory lock and ride glass windshield

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Jty, can you post some pics of the other side? Also, is this the rear wiper motor?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cool. Thanks Jty!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought it at my local chevy dealer it was new old stock. You can find them on eBay, type in 62-70 chevy washer tank I mounted mine with some angle metal but u can get original bracket from eBay as well

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Install of a Ford Escape rear wiper

Here is my install of a Ford Escape rear wiper in my General. I hope this helps someone!

Parts I used: Motorcraft wiper motor # WM-628 , Mighty clear wiper arm for the Escape #42536, Duralast 14” wiper blade FDLF14.

As seen in other installs the factory mounting holes are of little use for our purpose, so I didn’t use them. I instead bent up a l bracket with a ¼ 20 rivet nut and welded it to the wipe motor bracket. So in my install I am using the factory ¾ wiper shaft housing and one ¼ bolt.

In the first picture you can see the bracket I added and in the second is where the bolt protrudes thru the housing. I sharpened the bolt so I could use it to mark where to drill the hole. To hide any potential mistakes, you can remove the plastic trim piece from the outside of the windshield by just pulling it off before drilling any holes. It is held in place by double sided tape.

Once the wiper is mounted on the windshield you can see where to notch the plastic housing for the rear view mirror bracket.
The wiper can be powered from the hot wire that is pig tailed off with the stereo wiring and a switch installed in the wiper housing or pull wires down the roll bar. Either way you need to remove the roof. The wiring code on my wiper was: Black=Ground, Red=run, White=Park (hot all the time)

To finish it up I drilled out the wiper arm and moved it out @ 1 inch to center it on the window. The wiper blade will also need to be trimmed @ 1 inch also to clear the center of the windshield.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nice job Elkhunt! Thanks for the post. It will help when I get around to mine.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts