Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does your winch cable come off the bottom or top of your winch spool? Mine comes off the bottom and winch is mounted with the lock/free wheel to the drivers side. We saw on some other threads, the cable lays on the front differential vent tube and I placed a piece of plastic between them.

I had a dealer tell me to bring the cable off the top of the winch spool to address this issue. Seems like a good idea. Anyone see any issues with doing that? Would it have the same torque. And how is yours?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine comes off the bottom also. I installed a rubber bump stop on the end of my cable and draw it in snug which then keeps it away from the vent tube. Don't have a answer on how it would effect operation by running it out from the top

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switch woul be opposite
Ahhh thanks. Didn't think of that. Maybe I could correct that by reversing the wires on the switch. I wonder if the winch is designed for torque coming off the top of the spool.

·
1,563 Posts
Most winches have planetary gears and are designed to raise and lower a rated load. The higher the pull is away from the mounting of the winch might be the only question. Leverage. Just playing with it in my head. Would it line up with the fairlead? None of this could be an issue,but...

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you unwind the cable off the drum you can tell which way the cable should be wound the correct way will be so that the drum turns away from where the cable is inserted the other way will crimp the cable over the drum and make a weak spot in the cable. some drums you can thread the cable from either side. don' know about these.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have used my winch the last 3 weekend to plow and even though I greased the roller my cable has worn a grove in the roller.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: Alaskan47
1 - 11 of 11 Posts