Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to replace the steel cable on my winch to a synthetic rope. Looking on Amazon for a replacement. the cost range is huge from about $25 up to well over a $100. I don't want to buy name brand just because it's cool and pay top dollar.

I definitely dont want something that will let me down when I really need it.

Suggestions on brands, links would be great.

Thanks Muz

· Registered
444 Posts
I’ve replaced steel with the $20 amazon synthetics on two SXS. They worked just fine. Until I started plowing. Then the abrasion guard on the first 3ft, literally wore the rope. It snapped on me three times, then I took that off. I thought it was my roller, but it was the rash guard.

I did order a new Amsteel Blue, but have yet to install it. As my cheap synthetic has held up since removing the guard. And I plow at least twice/week so far this winter. I figured I would swap it the next time it broke. But it’s holding up.

Amsteel Blue ropes can be found in the $65 range, and it would be my recommendation. Good luck

· Registered
298 Posts
I will be using my winch exclusively for plowing once we move out to the country in the next year or so. For those that use plows, what is the advantage to synthetic rope over the cable that the winch came with?

· Registered
2022 Xp 4
208 Posts
I will be using my winch exclusively for plowing once we move out to the country in the next year or so. For those that use plows, what is the advantage to synthetic rope over the cable that the winch came with?
No gain switching to Synthetic over Steel for plow use . What you do gain is Synthetic is Lighter , Stronger for its diameter , doesn't Kink , if it breaks it won't whip back and kill you or others , if it breaks you can splice m ot back together. I Switched to Synthetic rope on my Jeep years ago and will never use Steel cable again .

· Registered
General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition, Shock Therapy, Rugged Radio, Factory UTV Skid, Hunterworks
521 Posts
Wanting to replace the steel cable on my winch to a synthetic rope. Looking on Amazon for a replacement. the cost range is huge from about $25 up to well over a $100. I don't want to buy name brand just because it's cool and pay top dollar.

I definitely dont want something that will let me down when I really need it.

Suggestions on brands, links would be great.

Thanks Muz
Dont skimp on something that could save you from being stuck or saving your life, IMHO I would buy top quality line.

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,316 Posts
No gain switching to Synthetic over Steel for plow use . What you do gain is Synthetic is Lighter , Stronger for its diameter , doesn't Kink , if it breaks it won't whip back and kill you or others , if it breaks you can splice m ot back together. I Switched to Synthetic rope on my Jeep years ago and will never use Steel cable again .
@RABBI the main advantage is that if it breaks you can tie a knot and continue your job. Can't really do that with steel...

@TjCj I'll have to respefully disagree with you. There's plenty of reasons rope is superior for plowing. One being you can tie a knot when it breaks and continue your job. Secondly rope doesn't fray like steel and bind up in the spool... add in your benefits fir "other" times and it's a no brainer...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 Xp 4
208 Posts
@RABBI the main advantage is that if it breaks you can tie a knot and continue your job. Can't really do that with steel...

@TjCj I'll have to respefully disagree with you. There's plenty of reasons rope is superior for plowing. One being you can tie a knot when it breaks and continue your job. Secondly rope doesn't fray like steel and bind up in the spool... add in your benefits fir "other" times and it's a no brainer...

I don't have a plow so bear with me .
What are the odds of breaking Steel cable while plowing ? You're lifting what a couple hundred pounds ? How often will Steel cable Fray while plowing ? I had 1000s of hard pulls on the old Steel cable on the front of my Current Jeep . Not to mention 1000s more on 3 prior Jeeps and 4 Toyotas . Never had a cable break nor Fray , I'm sure my use imparts more abuse then plowing. I'm not arguing but he asked what the main Benefits was switching to Synthetic for plowing . In my view there is no benefit switching to Synthetic for the sole purpose of plowing .

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,316 Posts
What are the odds of breaking Steel cable while plowing ? You're lifting what a couple hundred pounds ? How often will Steel cable Fray while plowing ? I had 1000s of hard pulls on the old Steel cable on the front of my Current Jeep . Not to mention 1000s more on 3 prior Jeeps and 4 Toyotas . Never had a cable break nor Fray , I'm sure my use imparts more abuse then plowing. I'm not arguing but he asked what the main Benefits was switching to Synthetic for plowing . In my view there is no benefit switching to Synthetic for the sole purpose of plowing .
I broke my cable on my sportsman several times and after one year of plowing the steel cable was complete junk since it goes up and down so often. The cable wears on itself much worse than rope does. My plow is up/down probably close to 40 times every time I plow my driveway. It is very possible that the cable is better on your jeep than what polaris puts on their winches, I know the polaris rope is crap compared to the aftermarket stuff. I font expect the cable to be fantastic either...

· Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for your responses. The game plan is to use the steel cable until it starts fraying or otherwise fails. Then time for a decent synthetic rope and a new fairlead.
That's a common game plan. Both my Wildcat and my General came with steel, and I replaced them when they started to fray/rust or I took that first metal sliver in my hand and swore at it. They now live as replacement cables on Waverunner lifts.

· Premium Member
2021 Polaris General XP
150 Posts
i know this is old, but my steel cable has broken twice this month plowing.

· Registered
439 Posts
If used for plowing, I like to take my expensive 50-75ft. rope off and install a cheaper 10-12ft. rope for plowing season.

I do this every year on my ATV since I plow with it. Doing this on the General looks like it would suck because the winch is stuffed so far into the front end.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts