Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago Polaris added a vent in the belt cover that extends up behind the drivers door.
Question 1. Was that because the tube starting under the hood was not big enough or not putting air in the right place?
If the answer is putting air in the right place.
Question 2 What would happen if, where the vent tube comes out under the cab you put in a Y? The inside tube goes up to the belt intake like it currently does. The outside tube comes around the side of the belt cover back to the hole beside the secondary clutch. By doing this you remove the gaping hole behind the drivers door eliminating a source for water to get in.
Reroute the belt case exhaust to the hole behind the drivers door where it could be snorkeled up the side of the roll cage. By moving the belt exhaust away from the exhaust manifold.
Question 3 and 4 Will it cause the passenger butt temperature to be hotter and cylinder head temperature to increase to much?
Kind of a long winded story but I’ve yet to see a good snorkel system that keeps a functional bed doesn’t drill holes works with rear glass and keeps everything out of the cab.
Indiana Chuck

·
Registered
500 Posts
The 2 intakes is for better airflow the old rzr 1000 xps it 2014 came with 1 and they got to hot so polaris did an updated clutch cover with 2.. you cpuld surley do your snorkle kit how you are saying. But what i would do is build or by a clutch fan to make sure the clutches and belt stay cool

·
Registered
500 Posts
The outlet is the lowest..i think what he is asking is could he change the outlet to breath from the side intake area and then make both inlets breath from the 1 opening under the hood

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Look up “Blowhole Exhaust Fans”
It pulls air through the CVT enclosure and blows it out the exhaust side of the CVT plenum. If you couple this addition along with a frogskin membrane on your CVT vent grill and a Outerwear filter on your belt air intake located under your front hood you’ll be in good shape. After I did these modifications I was impressed with how little dust ended up in the CVT clutch enclosure. I still blow it out after each trip but the amount of dust that is blown out of the CVT clutches is about a 1/4 (if that) of what used to come out.
Bottomline these machines are typical used in off road environments and dust is a factor (especially here where I live in Baja) (it’s rained twice this year......dang!! Are we dry and dusty)

Good luck and please note that there are a bunch of posts on here concerning snorkels if this is your direction you take,

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2022 XP4 TE
114 Posts
Just reread the original post (payed attention this time ;)) and understand what he is thinking now.
That helped me too. I say it's worth a shot and should work.
Not sure why rerouting cvt intake exhaust would increase engine temps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By not allowing the cvt exhaust to blow across the cylinder head and exhaust manifold. Will it make it run hotter? At 20 leagues under the sea. Not a problem, out trail riding will it cause a problem?

·
Registered
2022 XP4 TE
114 Posts
By not allowing the cvt exhaust to blow across the cylinder head and exhaust manifold. Will it make it run hotter? At 20 leagues under the sea. Not a problem, out trail riding will it cause a problem?
I see the logic but in reality it's not going to come close to a meaningful difference.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
I don't feel the belt housing exhaust contributes to engine cooling, considering these are liquid cooled engines. Redoing the duct work could cause an increase in belt and clutch temperature for sure, but engine....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Engine temps are not gunna change.. belt temp for sure will.. they put 2 intakes on for a reason.. but buy yourself a belt cooling fan and you will be fine

·
Registered
496 Posts
I addressed this problem by removing CVT hose off Drivers side, shorten the air inlet hose that goes straight into the 2nd nary clutch and put a small K&N filter in line and as Baja Charlie mentioned added a Blow Hole Fan. I put Outer Wears Filter on the intake under the front hood cover. I clean it as often as needed but the good news is hardly any dust in the CVT area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts