Polaris General Forum banner

What whip brand is the best?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok what whips do you use? Who makes the best? Waterproof? Warranty?

How did you mount them? Springs to keep from breaking at the base? Quick disconnect?

I know I can make my own, done it before, just getting ideas from others that use a company's product.

Pictures of all please!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the 5150 whips. But I do like how you mounted them. I have an aftermarket cage but there is a bar right there similar in location. I wanted to mount them to the front of the bed but after hearing a few people have problems I think I will mount them to the cage and not have to run as many wires all over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a big fan of Tribal Whips now. I had one of there Aurora rear lights (great product) but did recently experience a problem with it. I worked with Michelle from customer service and after a few photos and an email, a replacement is on the way. I'm totally impressed by the customer service. There is no expectation on my part that components out there are perfect. Having a company that stands by their products goes a long way in my book.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have some whips coming as we speak. A friend on another site made me a pair to mount on my rack behind the cab. I had them made 30" so they'd clear the door on my trailer. I'll post up some pics when they get installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ended up making my own whips. I like to do this stuff so it was easy. I made all mine easily removable so I can still use the General on the ranch and not have something permanent and in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you show us how you did it? I can see most already but how did you build the tubes are they string leds?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can you show us how you did it? I can see most already but how did you build the tubes are they string leds?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Give me a little bit and I’ll get some links and pictures up. It may take me a few days because I’m at a school for work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is a little update on my whip mounts. The ones I ordered from amazon failed already. They kept coming loose and after tightening them the bolt and washer pulled through the rubber rendering them useless. I’m going to see if amazon will take them back and try a different route mounting them.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before...but what the heck. I'm now using Tribal Whips. I chose them because I could get them in all one color...Orange!

Here's a pic of the template I cut to bolt in place and then lower the electronics package for the whip through. You can also get a pretty good sense of where I mounted the whips. At the back end of the bed sides.

Here's a pretty good view of the plates I cut and mounted to the bed top. There's also a slot and hole for the whip wiring to come through. Under the whip is a hole tapped for 3/8 x 24 thread. This was early on and I wasn't using springs. Couldn't find one that was at least as large as the Tribal Whips base. Note the whips have a retaining clip. So they can be pull up out of the base and laid over for loading in the Toyhauler.

I found some springs on Amazon that were the correct type, having the larger diameter half way up. Use the "easy to find" 3/4" diameter springs, but after two trips they were becoming permanently deformed, leaning to the rear. The Amazon springs also started to deform. So I found the stainless steel Cal-AV springs. They bend to keep the whip from breaking when in the forest. But with the flags, they do not permanently distort from rolling down the road at 55 MPH! Here's a pic with the SS springs:

Here is a pic of the Amazon barrel springs I used:

I have a pair of them in "new" condition I'll sell for $15 plus $7.90 shipping if you're interested.

Pirate

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a day whip with no light and a magnetic disconnect and made my own whip with smart LEDs. It has 300 different patterns work with a wireless remote. I mounted them with Dragon fire racing mounts.all I do is loosen a bolt and fold the whip down when it's in my garage or when I'm not using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before...but what the heck. I'm now using Tribal Whips. I chose them because I could get them in all one color...Orange!

Here's a pic of the template I cut to bolt in place and then lower the electronics package for the whip through. You can also get a pretty good sense of where I mounted the whips. At the back end of the bed sides.

Here's a pretty good view of the plates I cut and mounted to the bed top. There's also a slot and hole for the whip wiring to come through. Under the whip is a hole tapped for 3/8 x 24 thread. This was early on and I wasn't using springs. Couldn't find one that was at least as large as the Tribal Whips base. Note the whips have a retaining clip. So they can be pull up out of the base and laid over for loading in the Toyhauler.

I found some springs on Amazon that were the correct type, having the larger diameter half way up. Use the "easy to find" 3/4" diameter springs, but after two trips they were becoming permanently deformed, leaning to the rear. The Amazon springs also started to deform. So I found the stainless steel Cal-AV springs. They bend to keep the whip from breaking when in the forest. But with the flags, they do not permanently distort from rolling down the road at 55 MPH! Here's a pic with the SS springs:

Here is a pic of the Amazon barrel springs I used:

I have a pair of them in "new" condition I'll sell for $15 plus $7.90 shipping if you're interested.

Pirate

I like how you mounted the whip. I’m looking for something that I can remove and still use the General to carry stuff on the farm. I need the bed sides flat to carry stuff across the bed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts