Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if any one has a way to mount two whips on the back was thinking along the top of the bed but those holes are super deep and big around and i can't seem to find a whip mount hole like they put on the rzr's

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so looking at those i dont think they will be big enough around the holes on the general bed are kind big around and long was thinking about using some all thread and run it all the way through and use a washer nut and rubber grommet on the bottom and one of those like 2 inch long nuts i forgot what they are called on the top and connect the whip mount to that

·
Registered
223 Posts
Isn't there a Lock-N-Ride for a whip mount?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a lock and ride whip mount but it is for the rzr's and wasnt sure if the holes along the bed were to big as they look bigger, anyways i went ahead and drilled a hole in between two the first two holes long the bed and mounted them there

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Here's details on how I mounted my two lighted whips:

I made the mount plates on the PlasmaCam and the light whip mount is located right over the center of the rear-most hole in the bed top rail:

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/Rooster5488/Polaris General/Lighted Whips/20160812_163609_zpszwq2rj1t.jpg

I placed the plate where I wanted it located, then drilled the four 1/4" holes for mounting. Tried using Rivit Nuts through the bed top rail, but they pull through too easily. So used two SS washers between mounting plate and bed top rail just to help keep things clean.

Cut a rectangle in the mounting plate and then used a dremel diamond bit do cut a matching hole in the top bed rail. I have two older style whips that use a flat connector. So the rectangular opening was necessary.

I put all the wiring for both whips behind the General side plate on the driver's side.

To run the extension cable across the bed to the Passenger side whip, I simply covered the flat cable with black Gorilla tape:

The Passenger side cable then runs inside the fender well and up to the whip through the mounting plate:

As I posted in my license plate bracket post...I spliced into the taillight wires in the OEM rear harness. Red and Green wires. I then ran those to a four pin connector, that you can get at NAPA and who knows where else, and doubled them to have two sets of red and green wires. One set runs to the license plate light. The other runs to the LED controller for the whips.

Thus anytime the key is ON, the whips are on. OK by me. And if I really want them off, just unplug them at the whip.

If you're interested in my mounting plates...PM me.

Pirate

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found your post from a search. How are the mounts holding up? I’m wanting to do something similar with a plate to reenforce the 1/2 bolt hole for the whip base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts