Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything that I have seen says the General shares the engine and trans with the RZR. Which Trans is it useing? The updated, stronger one that is used in the Turbo RZR or the faulty, reverse chained trans used in the other models?

I have seen lots of opinions elsewhere but have not been able to get any solid info. Anyone know anything for sure? The dealerships are no help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hard to say since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The Polaris General's Transmission is Automatic PVT P/R/N/L/H but that doesn't say much. We do know the low gear in the General is lower than the RZR S so maybe it's transmission won't come from that model.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hard to say since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The Polaris General's Transmission is Automatic PVT P/R/N/L/H but that doesn't say much. We do know the low gear in the General is lower than the RZR S so maybe it's transmission won't come from that model.
does that matter with a CVT?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I test drove a general this morning. Low gear tops out at 25 mph. Didn't have enough area to top out high. Wondering if 25 is low. Would high be 55. Due to xp 1000 low 40 and high 70

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to atv.com the General’s top speed in Low gear seemed to be about 10 mph slower than RZR S. The RZR S 900 has a top speed of 71 mph so maybe the General's top speed is around 61mph?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The manuals talks about LOW for 7mph towing and crawling. Dealer tells me the same. Unlike the Ranger, the General should use HIGH for most trail riding unless you are just creeping.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi steve h. I used Low on the Ranger for up to 25 and used Low for most trail riding through the woods as you said. This is what I am used to for Polaris. However, the Low range in the General seems to be much lower than the Ranger. It feels to me that 15-25 in Low on the General is too Low and RPMs are higher than the Ranger at those speeds. High seems to wind up quicker.

The General manual states:

"Using Low Range
Always shift into low gear for any of the following conditions.
• Operating in rough terrain or over obstacles
• Loading the vehicle onto a trailer
• Towing loads
• Driving frequently at low RPM or at ground speeds below 7 MPH (11 km/h)"

My 2014 Ranger XP900 manual stated:

"Using Low Range
Always shift into low gear for any of the following conditions.
• Operating in rough terrain or over obstacles
• Loading the vehicle onto a trailer
• Towing heavy loads"

This and the feel is all I know. You or anyone have any thoughts on this or heard differently from Polaris?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had my general up to 71mph still pulling hard dont know how much faster it will go but 71 is not top speed

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just kind of asked this question in another thread, did Polaris fix the transmission on the 2020 General, if I get in the muck can I break a reverse chain?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You most certainly could. They won't take much abuse or hard reversing to possibly break.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well dam, this sucks, I knew I should have waited for Yamaha to put out a 1000cc X2 Wolverine.
I really liked all the features of the Wolverine, but the more power and a little sharper look of the General won out.
That being said, if the power had been closer, I would have went with the Wolverine just because I know it will be much more reliable over time.

I wonder how many people just bite the bullet and install the stronger chain before something happens and I wonder how often Polaris covers it under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had Polaris install the lower gear and new double row chain for the reverse. The trans lasted a year and a half and broke again. It Just happened, looking to get ahold of the repair shop next week to see if I have any Grounds to stand on, wish me luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had Polaris install the lower gear and new double row chain for the reverse. The trans lasted a year and a half and broke again. It Just happened, looking to get ahold of the repair shop next week to see if I have any Grounds to stand on, wish me luck.
The Double Reverse Chain is a Novelty item.

You use Polaris and Repair Shop in your post, curious as to which it is?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts