Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My machine is sitting at the dealership right now needing a new front diff. Seems the bearing grenaded, ruined the seal and let all the fluid leak out. Hence my grinding noise.

So while it is there I am going to have them replace the carrier bearing. It has 2900 miles on it so I figure while it is there and half apart I would have it done.

The dealer is a SATV dealer, but I have heard their zerk extension kit isn't long enough. Heard good things about Sandcraft but not sure if they are a dealer. And then again I have gotten 2900 miles out of the OEM.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
My machine is sitting at the dealership right now needing a new front diff. Seems the bearing grenaded, ruined the seal and let all the fluid leak out. Hence my grinding noise.

So while it is there I am going to have them replace the carrier bearing. It has 2900 miles on it so I figure while it is there and half apart I would have it done.

The dealer is a SATV dealer, but I have heard their zerk extension kit isn't long enough. Heard good things about Sandcraft but not sure if they are a dealer. And then again I have gotten 2900 miles out of the OEM.

Thoughts?
I have the SATV Front Differential as well as their Carrier Bearing with the zerk extension and it works perfect. Just drilled a small hole in the side of the console for the grease fitting to fit through. It is located down low, just in front of the seat. Out of the way and eezy peezy to get to with a grease gun. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Herdfan,

Which bearing in the Hilliard front differential grenaded?

Interested,

Pirate

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Herdfan,

Which bearing in the Hilliard front differential grenaded?

Interested,

Pirate
They said it was the one that is beside the pinion seal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been running the SATV bearing for a couple of years. I thought that was where my noise was coming from but it was the front differential. It is a PITA to grease. I just drop the skids and its still a pain.

I'm either ordering the front diff rebuild kit from Sandcraft or sending it to them to rebuild. I suspect my pinion bearing is very close to going as well. I'll probably order the kit, remove the diff and take it to Dwayne at Lavalette Cycle to rebuild.

Did you take yours to Cycle Center?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
So here is a pic of a diff that fractured, and I've annotated the Pinion Bearing:

Creeker,
Take a look at JJandA Racing. Jeff will blueprint your diff for $99, which I believe means making a set of custom rollers for the cage that match the the Output Hubs and the interior of the Ring Gear.
He can also recommend the best upgrades. I've had two done. Both are so quiet its pretty incredible. Don't hear anything or feel anything when it locks up and unlocks.
About $500 for the works..at least when I got mine for the General done.
Some complain he doesn't get back to them when they call. Jeff much prefers an e-mail to a voice mail. So busy with the CNC machine shop...e-mail he can do whenever it fits his schedule.
He's always responded to my requests for information.

Pirate

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been running the SATV bearing for a couple of years. I thought that was where my noise was coming from but it was the front differential. It is a PITA to grease. I just drop the skids and its still a pain.

I'm either ordering the front diff rebuild kit from Sandcraft or sending it to them to rebuild. I suspect my pinion bearing is very close to going as well. I'll probably order the kit, remove the diff and take it to Dwayne at Lavalette Cycle to rebuild.

Did you take yours to Cycle Center?
No Lexington Motorsports where I bought it because they will work with the 3rd party warranty company. That they sold me.

Pirate,

As far as I know my case is OK. It hadn't completely failed. What was odd about it was it started grinding going down a Black at Ivy Branch. I thought it was a wheel bearing. So I got it down to a road where I could get my truck and trailer to it, but as soon as it flattened out, the noise stopped and it ran fine. Made to the 4 miles back the truck without issue.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Thoughts?
I'm looking at ordering the cast carrier bearings on the black Friday sale along with the remote grease lines. I don't have any issues at this time, but I think this upgrade will save grief down the road. The OEM works, but if you got 2900 out of it, I'll bet the SATV with proper greasing would last many miles over that. I also already have a sandcraft bearing kit to install in the diff. After watching some installation video's, its a pretty straight forward install. They have much higher quality bearings than the quality I would expect out of Polaris. Again, just to save grief. I push my machine hard with the kind of riding that I do and most certainly would rather work on it in the garage over the trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts