Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I now know that a 30 inch tire will fit under my General with out any problems. My trouble is which tire. I'm thinking Tusk Terrabite or EFX MotoVator. I need DOT approved and want to get some mileage out of them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really like the looks of the motovator. Its steel belted and should do very well on hard pack but,
If I were going to be doing a lot of hard pack or road riding I'd consider doing a 15" wheel and a light truck LT30x9.50R15. The tires will be significantly cheaper and even an aggressive MT will wear well on a UTV. Both are going to weigh about 40lb.
Look at the Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II MT-764. Similar weight and aggressiveness to the motovator and if you tear the sidewall out of one you can go to any tire shop and get a replacement in 24hrs for 120$ vs 180$.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my Terrabytes. I've ridden all over Colorado and they haven't let me down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have over 1k miles on my terrabytes and like them so far. They respond well to small air pressure changes to match the terrain and riding style. 30" on 14 gives a good sidewall flex for softer ride but not excessive flex unless you run lower air pressure on pavement. If there was a con it would be the looks of a rounded profile type of tire, I guess I like the looks of a flatter tire.

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Happy with my Terrabites too. Do very well in the rocks, and hard trails, ok in some mild slop. Pick up the pace, and they'll clean out pretty good too, you may end up wearing what they cleaned out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I have 14 inch beadlock rims so I think the terabytes it is. Has anyone ran low pressure in the snow?.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love my Tensor Regulators on 14" bead locks. I have had them on hard pack, rock crawling, soft dirt and some mud in Colorado and on pavement. I like the flat tread profile and the fact they are tough as nails. I ride mostly in the Arizona desert and flat protection is a must. I don't think I could pick a better tire for the conditions I ride in most.

·
Registered
14 Posts
EFX Motohammers 31x10x14 on method 401 bead locks. They work well for me. Balanced with no problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I run the 30x10x14 EFX MOTOCLAWs which is a 8 ply DOT tire. No complaints with performance but are a little pricey. Best price I found was from www.jet.com
Hey RABOO5,
Do you know how much the MOTOCLAWs weigh?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey SJ,

The tire weighs 40.5 lbs each. The stock dirt commanders fronts weigh 25 lbs, rear weigh 28 lbs.
Could you tell the difference in acceleration? Couldn't remember if you did a clutch or not. I think I saw somewhere the Terrabites weighed 30 lbs but can't remember if that was for the 30" or 28"

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the 3" lift that still needs to be put on and was wanting to put 30" tires on but was waiting to get the diff rattle fixed but the dealer is jerking me around and still have not heard anything back from Polaris.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Could you tell the difference in acceleration? Couldn't remember if you did a clutch or not. I think I saw somewhere the Terrabites weighed 30 lbs but can't remember if that was for the 30" or 28"
Yes, it's a little slower off the starting line due to weight and larger size tires. If moving greater than 25 mph the power and acceleration seems the same. I haven't done a clutch kit yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Cool, thanks RAB005. Found some better trails down at Stockton along the lake. Picking up a 20' trailer in a week so I will be able hit up some of the parks. Still trying to get the rattling front drive taken care. Need to get to that dealer you recommended in KC. Headed to Alaska tomorrow for a week so have to wait until I get back.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure it's so much the weight of the tire but the larger tire diameter messes with the gear ratio. Of course the computer is smart enough to shut down at 68 mph now. On stock tires I could squeeze 72 mph out of it. Lol.

My G4 is back at Freedom Cycles after we went to Cloud 9 this past weekend. Either the driveshaft or front CV axle is hitting when really spinning the front tires in AWD. Had to take a Service Rep for a ride this time because they didn't get it fixed the last time it was in for service. They replaced the front driver CV axle but didn't solve the noise. Warranty runs out Aug 16th so it will stay there until it's fixed to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure it's so much the weight of the tire but the larger tire diameter messes with the gear ratio. Of course the computer is smart enough to shut down at 68 mph now. On stock tires I could squeeze 72 mph out of it. Lol.

My G4 is back at Freedom Cycles after we went to Cloud 9 this past weekend. Either the driveshaft or front CV axle is hitting when really spinning the front tires in AWD. Had to take a Service Rep for a ride this time because they didn't get it fixed the last time it was in for service. They replaced the front driver CV axle but didn't solve the noise. Warranty runs out Aug 16th so it will stay there until it's fixed to my satisfaction.
Headed to Alaska until next Friday. Going to bring up and see if Freedom can look front rattle. Like I said the service where where I bought mine from is a joke. Have a bunch of goodies to add but want to get the front fixed first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rab005. sorry for the 3 year delay, but i have a 2017 G4 and i have the same problem with my front end when spinning, such as when climbing a steep hill. What ended up being the problem for you? I replaced the A-arms this weekend for a different issue and didnt see anything wrong.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts