Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
When do you grease the wheel bearings? My right front wheel has a very slight wiggle when it's lifted off the ground. None of the other wheels have this. Does that mean the bearing is worn?

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
When do you grease the wheel bearings? My right front wheel has a very slight wiggle when it's lifted off the ground. None of the other wheels have this. Does that mean the bearing is worn?
Yes that means the wheal bearing is going bad! just like the unit bearings on most cars and trucks they are sealed not greaseable :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Does anyone know what type of wheel bearing grease Polaris uses? Planning on greasing them and would like to avoid compatibility issues.

The wheal bearing are sealed wheel bearing and can't be greased just like most cars and trucks now days!

Reactions: bluesbass

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Not wanting to confuse anybody Yes you can buy a special tool to get grease into them! But they are a non greaseable bearing.
With many years working with 4x4 stuff because you can buy a tool to get grease in doesn't make it a good idea!
You are forcing grease past a seal that is suppose to keep everything out so you are breaking that seal and forcing dirt and crud into bearing ( BECOUSE NOT EVERYBODY IS GOING TO CLEAN ALL THE CRAP OUT BEFORE THEY GREASE IT )There for making the seal useless. So now unless you are going to grease wheel bearings after every time you ride in dirt sand water you are just going to be replacing that wheel bearing sooner then later. Just saying!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Not wanting to confuse anybody Yes you can buy a special tool to get grease into them! But they are a non greaseable bearing.
With many years working with 4x4 stuff because you can buy a tool to get grease in doesn't make it a good idea!
You are forcing grease past a seal that is suppose to keep everything out so you are breaking that seal and forcing dirt and crud into bearing ( BECOUSE NOT EVERYBODY IS GOING TO CLEAN ALL THE CRAP OUT BEFORE THEY GREASE IT )There for making the seal useless. So now unless you are going to grease wheel bearings after every time you ride in dirt sand water you are just going to be replacing that wheel bearing sooner then later. Just saying!
True, but over on RZRFORUMS.NET, guys have bought brand new wheel bearings and greased them before use, and say there is hardly any grease in them to begin with, therefore failing quickly. They have had good luck with these greasers. They say to pump slow to not ruin the seals also...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
My .02. In the off road world where every weekend camping trip consists of silt, mud, muskeg, water, ect, there is no such thing as a sealed bearing. I don't care what anyone says, my personal experience tells much the bearings will last significantly longer being full of grease. I have the 2 guys hobby tool and will always keep mine greased, it's the only way to make wheel bearings last in harsh environments.

If you think Polaris bearings are sealed you're sadly mistaken.

As for grease, I use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty (green tube) and it works extremely well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
How often do you grease your wheel bearings and what all do you have to take off to do so.
I don't have answer for how often but I plan on once a year, 2k -/+ miles. If your in a lot of mud and water then maybe more often.

Take tire off, then brake caliper, castle nut, slide hub off, and then you can slide greaser in.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bearing buddies on boat trailers are the same concept only permanent. To use a bearing buddy properly you have to start out clean, purge with grease, then every time to use your trailer you need to purge the water etc out of the hub. That's how they are designed to be used. I agree with RockinRonnie on this one. It's something you would have to do every time you used your machine.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,657 Posts
Well...there really is no such thing as a grease compatibility issue. Mixing greases just mixes greases. That mixing might cause one or the other to break down and not do its job...doesn't happen.

I myself use Bobcat Extreme Duty grease...because I have a skid steer, excavator and three attachments that take greasing. I've changed greases over the years, twenty of them, and have yet to see any compatibility issues. Now the grease that gets on the machine...it changes colors with which ever grease I'm using...but doesn't seem to create an issue. LOL!!!

Pirate

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,657 Posts
Bluesbass,

I'd bet you have a ball joint going rather than a wheel bearing.

A good test is to raise the wheel off the ground, then grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if it rocks back and forth in the vertical direction. That's ball joints.

When I went to the SuperATV high clearance A-arms...I installed a set of RCV Ball Joints. You can dissasemble, clean, lube and adjust them. The adjustment is what eliminates, or minimizes the rocking motion.

Pirate

·
Registered
279 Posts
How often do you grease your wheel bearings and what all do you have to take off to do so.
Thanks JAMTB for getting this thread going again, I hadn't seen this before. I'm definitely in the camp of "better to grease" than depend on seals to last forever. I just ordered my Two Guys Bearing Greaser.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bluesbass,

A good test is to raise the wheel off the ground, then grab the top and bottom of the tire and see if it rocks back and forth in the vertical direction. That's ball joints.

When I went to the SuperATV high clearance A-arms...I installed a set of RCV Ball Joints. You can dissasemble, clean, lube and adjust them. The adjustment is what eliminates, or minimizes the rocking motion.

Pirate
Thanks Pirate! The problem you describe is what I am experiencing. Thanks for the info. I should change mine out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bluesbass,

Pirate
Thanks Pirate! The problem you describe is what I am experiencing. Thanks for the info. I should change mine out.
Wow! Those RCV ball joints would be more than $550 for the front. Looks like a nice design though.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I only use Timken bearings when replacing bearings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts