Polaris General Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1909 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice job on the headliner!! Do you by chance have a part number for it?

I take it you from UT. Where at? I live in Plain City.

Muz

·
Registered
60 Posts
I installed the headliner and dome light on my 2018 G2. I painted the headliner black, because it was gray. I also installed 1/2" Dynamat to the underside of the roof.
View attachment 65558

View attachment 65559

View attachment 65560
What are your thoughts after doing this? Did you notice any improvement in the road noise? I’m planning to do the firewall and doors in my XP4 this weekend and then was thinking about doing this next. My only concern is I have a lot of air coming under the roof at speed from the visor area so I need to get that sealed off first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What are your thoughts after doing this? Did you notice any improvement in the road noise? I’m planning to do the firewall and doors in my XP4 this weekend and then was thinking about doing this next. My only concern is I have a lot of air coming under the roof at speed from the visor area so I need to get that sealed off first.
I haven't taken it out yet. Trailering it tomorrow on the freeway then an 8 hour trail ride. I will post my thoughts and if there were any issues. I already put dynamat on the underside, doors and firewalls. That helped a lot with the noise. There was plenty of room between the roof and headliner for 1/2" Dynamat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definitely reduced some noise and eliminated the air coming in. Overall very happy with it, but holds dust and I am a little concerned about power washing it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well not really something I did TO my General, but what I did WITH my General.

This cluster was at the old HM Ivy Branch. Three OHV's and not a single winch between them. When we rolled up they were hooking a chain to the back of the red Jeep and the green Bronco II was going to try and pull him out. Well the almost bald tires on the Bronco almost got him stuck.

Well since they were blocking the trail we figured we needed to help. I can now confirm that the Polaris 4500# winch will pull a Jeep out of a mudhole. :)

The pull was no problem although we did have to wedge a rock against my front tires right at the end as they were starting to slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Added sound deadening to the firewall and all four doors. Next project is the roof once I get the front air leak fixed. Made a pretty big difference in sound level. Took out most of the harshness from the engine and we can now talk while driving at 5000-6000k RPM, although you still won’t mistake it for a car. The biggest difference was with the doors. I have not more rattles on rough roads and don’t feel like I’m in a tin can. Was a lot of work but well worth it. Would have been nice if they made a kit like the Ranger, but oh well. Only problem now is I’m hearing other faint sounds I never heard before lol.

8921D452-A779-4BB0-8B22-23362325D2F9.jpeg 6041180C-7E94-45B7-B132-AC0D7332C365.jpeg

·
Registered
60 Posts
What did you use for added sound deadening to the firewall and doors
80mil Kilmat on the door skins and firewall, and then an additional layer of 157mil Siless liner on the firewall. Next step is the roof which I plan to use my remaining Kilmat and Siless and possibly add the headliner. I think this will help some more with the sounds reflecting off the roof and echoing. But have to figure out a way to keep it from leaking in the front at speed first. Have found some ideas on the board. Somewhere down the road I may try to pull the consoles and soundproof there too, but I’m about soundproofed out for now....

·
Registered
207 Posts
How much of the Kilmat and Siless did you order? I’d also like to do the firewall, floor, doors, and someday the underside of the roof

·
Registered
60 Posts
How much of the Kilmat and Siless did you order? I’d also like to do the firewall, floor, doors, and someday the underside of the roof
36sf of each. That was enough to do the entire firewall, under the rear seats and all four doors with some left over. I pulled the skins on the back doors and covered most of them as well as the filler trim piece behind them. The front doors are more work to disassemble so I just removed most of the bolts and pried the skin off the frame enough to get as much in there as I could reach. I didn’t do Siless in the doors since I thought it was a little overkill. I still have a decent amount leftover, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to do the entire roof. Will probably have to get more.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'm trying hard to get everything finished up to head to the Black Hills of SD on the 14th.
Right now, that I know of, one danged thing left. Installed a set of Bill Nichols hood pins. Not the easiest install. But made parts on the CNC and got them installed.
Driven about 15 miles after the Nov 5th debacle. Yesterday, popped the hood pins and took hood off for last inspection...and now the Driver side hood pin won't latch...but I'll get it!

Vendetta rear bumper will hopefully get here in time.

Mama's new Rugged Radio headset will hopefully get here in time.

Seems like the old days...things took a couple of weeks to show up!

Pirate

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed a new ECU with the Gilomen Tune. WOW! The response from the throttle is amazing. Combined with the SLP high load clutch kit and new Team Tied Driven secondary I put on 2 months ago, it doesn't even seem like the same machine. Stock it felt sluggish and slightly under-powered. The clutch was a definite improvement, but this made a noticeable change. I am beyond happy. Going to St George next weekend to see how she handles the rocks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did a front wheel alignment on the general on sunday had to get the steering wheel straight and since day 1 it has handled and steered like garbage low and behold 1 5/16" towed in?? Set it to 1/16" towed out and it handles like a caddy now

·
Registered
854 Posts
Did a front wheel alignment on the general on sunday had to get the steering wheel straight and since day 1 it has handled and steered like garbage low and behold 1 5/16" towed in?? Set it to 1/16" towed out and it handles like a caddy now
I run mine toe-out in front as well. Makes tight turns so much better. In fact a guy I ride with in an X3 has commented on how I, in a 4-seater, make turns he can't.

Reactions: 2020GeneralPremium

·
Registered
510 Posts
Removed the front sway bar (hopefully I will not regret it) pulled the shocks and turned up the preload reinstalled did a overall maintenance check and walk around getting ready to head for Hatfield - McCoy.....

1841 - 1860 of 1909 Posts