Polaris General Forum banner

What’s your preferred brand of recovery gear?

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Biffdotorg 
Has anyone upgraded their winch rope and hook? The OEM doesn't look like anything special and seems like it could be the weak link in an emergency recovery situation.
If you are not plowing, the stock stuff works just fine for winching once in a great while. After breaking cheap synthetics 3-4 times last winter plowing, I bought a 65' Amsteel Blue from Motoalliance.

We have had plenty of snow this year, so lots of weekly plowing. I made it to mid May, before finally breaking it yesterday. Way better synthetic rope than stock or cheap ones off amazon. So I'm happy with it's perforamance.

What fair lead do you have on your winch?

I ask only because I had problems breaking the winch line on my 20 deluxe with the crappy rollers. I probably broke the winch line a dozen times. But my 22 xp with the rounded aluminum non roller fair lead I have yet to break the polaris line and that's now 2 winters of plowing on it...
When I went to Synthetic on my first SXS, i put the recommended hawse fairlead in and had good luck. But I was just using it as a normal winch, and it really didn't matter. When I went from the stock steel rope to synthetic on the General, i swapped the roller out for the hawse fairlead again.

When I added the plow, MotoAlliance reommended either a strap, Amsteel Blue and the single roller. The one used to guide the rope down the center with a pully style roller. At that point, I put my other roller back on as it had no dings or burrs in in. I could go back to the hawse fairlead. But honestly, I think the thing that hurt it the most, is that tree saver wrap on the first 3-4 feet. Once I took that crap off, it was not only easier to spool back up without binding, but the rope held up better.

We will see, I only have a month of plowing left hopefully. We have another big storm due this Friday. March has been a crazy lion for us this year.

Plowing is hard on rope. My recommendation is to take your expensive rope off and put a cheap-o on for plowing.

Some use a winch strap (think seatbelt) in place of a rope. I could see that working as well.
The strap sounds like the best option of all of them. The only issue is, I use my winch as much or more in the winter than I do in the summer. Usually pulling folks out of the snow. So having the strap on is a pain in the ass, as you can't switch it quickly. It's a seasonal thing. Then I lose the use of my winch for anything other than plowing, which cannot happen. So a cheap rope or strap is not an option.

(Did I just say the strap on is a pain in the ass?) I need to stop.

I use a short boat winch strap. You just need enough to get a couple wraps around the drum. I spool out that much winch line. Tape the strap to it and wind it in. I don't unspool the line. Works good. Easy to add and remove.
Since mine just broke, and the loop is off, I may just try this, as I have a boat winch strap on my work bench from a boat trailer winch I replaced. It will be a good test for the rest of the winter. My question is, when I go back to using it as a regular winch, I won't have my loop for the hook, as that will not roll up into the winch. In the summer, do you just leave it with no hook on the end? Or are you just tying it on for the non winching season?

I take the hook off the winch line for plowing. Put it back on when I take the strap out. I'll try and get pictures or a video to better explain it. Fortunately I haven't had to plow this year.
I actually read your previous post once again, and it makes sense. You literally pull rope out and the strap runs in tandem with the rope and not extending the rope. So you literally may have the two sticking out your fairleed/roller. So when it comes time to winch, you can just pull the pair out and set the strap aside. I was wondering what would happen to that hook.

I'm definitely going to try this now. Thank you.

@Biffdotorg i don't plow with my general, however 3 or 4 years ago I started reeling about 6 ft of boat winch strap winch off ebay into my ATV for plowing and I haven't broke since. It's amazing. It was 12 bucks for the boat winch strap I think on ebay. And you just reel it in a little shorter than the main rope and then take it off in the summer. I real about 6ft in. Before that I was breaking all the time here in WI.

See attached pic!
That is money! Thank you! That is how I was imagining it as you described. I ordered a cheap winch strap off Amazon last night for under $12 shipped. It should show up today. I can get it installed today before our next snow.

Very good tip, this is going to save me on rope. Plowing is hard on equipment all the way around.

I got my dirt ball cheap strap installed today. It’s only 2” wide, but feel it will be plenty strong. I plowed with it and seems to work great. One thing that may have been giving me issues is I notice my lower roller was seized up. That, for sure could have been my issue. So I’m gonna put my hawse fairlead on next when I find it in my parts bins.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.