Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got everything back together. I am thinking the bed itself may be bent too. The gap for the tailgate latches has closed about 1/2" but still not anywhere close to where it is from the factory. I am going to extend the latch pins so the tailgate will at least stay shut until I can get it figured out from here. Highly disappointed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is it possible that the rear mounting area of the rack has "relaxed" outwards & is now stopping the sides of the bed from coming in? The rack might need squishing in a bit & with the rack removed heat put on the plastic bed area to move it back into place.(with a strap on it) These beds don't like weight in that area it seems, definitely needs strengthening.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is it possible that the rear mounting area of the rack has "relaxed" outwards & is now stopping the sides of the bed from coming in? The rack might need squishing in a bit & with the rack removed heat put on the plastic bed area to move it back into place.(with a strap on it) These beds don't like weight in that area it seems, definitely needs strengthening.
This is a very good possibility! Now that all my electrical connections are on plugs, I think I am going to give this a try.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The other thing I noticed from the 1st photo is a weak looking bracket connecting the base of the bed to the top at the rear where the tailgate is, if that's bent as well it would keep the sides out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Been thinking about this problem some more( :rolleyes: ) & once everything is straight you could use C channel or similar, weld it to the rack & attach it to the tie down bolts inside the bed to take a bit of the rack weight off the unsupported sides of the bed, a bit of mucking around but might save future problems. I really liked that rack & thought it a great idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I picked my G4 up from the dealer it had this issue brand new! It took 4 months and 5 different visits to the dealer as well as many phone calls between our local dealer and Polaris. I had to threaten legal action and talk with the dealers General Manager before they finally figured out the bed was bent. I was able to get a $700 voucher from Polaris but in my opinion it was not worth the headache and stress lol. I’m glad I found this because I was going to buy the Razorback rack but now I may not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
But wait a minute, help me understand something. Cargo Bed has a specification Weight Capacity of 600 lbs. so for those that have bent Bed Rails is it a Weight Capacity overload caused by using a Bed Extender, in conjunction with the Cargo Bed flexing? I’ve thought about purchasing a Bed Extender for packing a small portable BBQ and Ice Chest as my Spare Tire and Tool Box weight around 50 lbs and I need more room. That’s just crazy how Polaris can list a 600 lb Weight Rating if the Bed Frames bend with 200lbs? What am I missing.... from this thread.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Keep in mind 600# pounds for the bed floor not the bed rails, if you rested the Carrying capacity of a pickup truck bed on the bed rails and TH en drove it through a bolder field I could not even tell you what that would do to the bed sides, but am pretty certain they would be messed up.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Maybe not entirely on topic here. I have had a bed extender since day one. First trip out I noticed the only thing supporting the tailgate was the little steel wire, no bueno Amigo. I fabricated some additional tailgate supports for piece of mind and they work well. Also the spare tire mount appeared to be bending the front of the bed. The Dragonfire spare tire mount bracket came with two holes that you secure with long bolts through the plastic bed. To me with two bolts it seemed flimsy so I put two more bolts in. It’s pretty secure after 4K miles but when I do my after-ride service I always check the bolts and look for cracks in the plastic. So far, so good, I don’t seem to have the bed spreading apart and the last time I took the bed extender off, the tailgate worked just fine. I’m wondering if by keeping the weight in the bed down in the bed has something to do with the bed not bending. I’m no way near the bed’s rated weight capacity when I’m fully loaded, probably like half. Perhaps the bed racks are causing the bed sides to flex outward?
My two pesos worth?

Cheers
Baja Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
This issue and the turf mode were the only things that gave me pause when we bought a '17 Deluxe 2 seater last August. I would think the 600 lb capacity should be for the bed floor only, and even that only if its well centered and not too far to the rear (like potentially with a bed extender). Most people will not approach the 600 lb capacity I would think.

I theorize adding a bunch of weight to top of the bed rails (like in a heavy rack that's loaded up) along with combination of hot sun/weather might have the chance to warp the bed sides causing the gap. I have no plans for a bed rail rack (though they look very useful for long trips). I do think I might approach 400-600 lbs in the bed at times, so I had bought some 3/4" angle iron, cut it to size, and painted back in the fall. We had an early winter so I haven't had a chance to reinforce the bed frame yet. Ideally it would be welded to the frame, but I don't have a welder. I'll reinforce with a combo of bolting it together with JB Weld. Just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I mainly revived this thread to see if the OP had any feedback on his reinforcement. I see he hasn't been logged in since May of last year. Seems he blew his engine up.

The issue definitely lies in the fact the bed frame is light gauge steel and from the rear pivot point for the dump to the outside of the frame is 12" or better of cantilevered overhang. The rear frame of the unit tapers in at the rear. Nothing under the rear corners to support it. I've been contemplating how to reinforce the frame, but I think it may be futile. I have a friend who builds custom cages. I think I'm going to design a completely tubular frame that will have upright supports that will hold the bed rack. I'll probably have to hack the bed up and utilize the sides to keep the General look and tailgate. The bed floor will be custom. We like to ride Hatfield McCoy and Windrock plus a couple places more local. The bed rack with top mounted spare is very convenient. Gives me all the room I need for whatever I want to carry. If and when I tear into this project, I'll try and write up as much as I can.

The gentleman who posted above me, if you drill and bolt you weaken the frame. JB Weld is good for covering a leak in a tank or something, but not for structure. Find a welder or Fab shop to help you out.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts