Polaris General Forum banner

Wd40 is my new favorite cleaner!

12K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Scot C 
#1 ·
Quick power wash and soap sponge down followed by a light spray of wd and she’s clean as a whistle. From my rc days I learned that it slightly softens plastic parts. Some say it’s bad and other say it’s good. I have never had a problem with plastics melting so I’m a firm believer in it softening just enough to get away from extreme brittleness.

See less See more
#2 ·
An old dirt bike folklore idea from the sixties yes I remember those days.
Lots more plastic on these UTV’s and next time you shine er up skip the WD and break out the Pledge furniture polish. No kidding it’s the best and recommended by.......Polaris
The WD is good for the immediate shine but becomes a magnet for dust later on.
The WD degreaser is great too!
Cheers Baja Charlie

#5 ·
An old dirt bike folklore idea from the sixties yes I remember those days.
Lots more plastic on these UTV’s and next time you shine er up skip the WD and break out the Pledge furniture polish. No kidding it’s the best and recommended by.......Polaris
The WD is good for the immediate shine but becomes a magnet for dust later on.
The WD degreaser is great too!
Cheers Baja Charlie
I’ll give her a try, what do you use on the undercarriage and engine? I like keeping all the suspension and drivetrain looking semi clean at least.

#4 ·
Lol I actually never had it so I guess I’m getting younger not older. A guy we ride with had it and doing mostly night rides I really liked the idea. Every 20-30miles the group stops to let everyone take a break, instead of seeing a lot of lightening bug cigarette buds it’s nice to see whos who!

#9 ·
Straight out of the owner’s manual
2017 manual page 87
See you on IH8MUD
Cheers Baja Charlie View attachment 65420
Thanks Baja, I'll be picking up some pledge in the next couple of days. The dust in my area is insane and if this fixes it, I'll be amazed!

#10 ·
I’ve been using chemical guys tough mudder soap with a foam cannon and cleans really well. Have a soft water connection in my garage which makes it really easy. Have read really good things about SC1 for polishing and making cleaning easier, but just keep forgetting to order some.

#14 ·
I agree on the Pledge furniture polish. Learned it years ago as the motorcycle cops I worked with used it all the time on their bikes. I use on my truck when I am able to keep up with maintenance. California duster and Pledge and a microfiber cloth. Also the dollar store furniture stuff it’s cheaper but more watery.

#15 ·
I bought some Behold lemon furniture polish and it works great. I'm now a believer in it

Attachments

#20 ·
So took a trip to the dunes years ago with our ATV's. My dad and myself cleaned our vehicles up with Plexus before we left, the other guys ATV's we had on the open trailer did not.
Get to the dunes... the dirtiest ATV's were ours... They shined real good when we left, attracted every spec of dirt on the road. Just like Baja said, dirt magnet.
Furniture polish really is probably the best idea, and you don't want to get WD40 etc near any clear plastic like your lights or windshields if they are not glass. I bought some Rain X for plastic that i'm going to use on mine, firm believer of Rain X on glass. I only use my wipers in my truck when im sitting at a light or driving less than like 30mph.
Freeway speeds in a downpour and i'm driving wiper free.. it just beads right off. (until I pass a trucker...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.