Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was looking over a Deluxe and there is 3 spots that I know will cause some problems in water and mud:

1) Behind both front tires at the firewall there are huge cavatys to hold mud.

2) In front of the left rear tire is a huge opening to the battery box and you can see the wires. So this will definitely fill up with mud and water.

Thoughts guys?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea , I thought the same thing with the battery compartment being open like that. It will get bombarded with mud and water. I pretty sure the fuse panel is right there also. I would have to go out and check. Don't know why they didn't enclose it

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh sorry I just saw this. A few minutes ago I posted this concerning the space in front of the left rear.
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/general-1000-chassis-body/1618-cheap-mud-protection.html

I also don't like the space behind the front tires. I would like to make/find a mud guard that also provides foot protection. Maybe aluminum, steel or heavy UHMW. There is only a thin piece of plastic between your feet and sticks, rocks, or whatever your front tires intend to throw at you. The angle and depth of that "pocket" is ideal to catch a stick and push it through the fender well in my opinion.

Reactions: GJCOMMANDO

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought about getting a inner fender off a car from the junk yard and trimming it to fit. I haven't looked into it yet to see what I would need to do.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Anyone concerned about water getting into the belt intake on the driver's side behind the door? It would have been nice if they had put Frog Skin over it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anyone concerned about water getting into the belt intake on the driver's side behind the door? It would have been nice if they had put Frog Skin over it.

how about this?

Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks treebeme I ordered some. Probably a lifetime supply of Frogzskin.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Reactions: generaljls

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes sir, the dealer I was at and I looked at this exact setup. He told me that they reroute them on Rangers and Razors as well. We looked it over and talked of routing the intake over the air box with a different hose and pulling air from the cab. This should be a simple deal to do but why Polaris does this is bizarre. Just looking at it will tell you it will gulp down dirt, snow, mud, dust - everything.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Since the intake and belt intake run right down the middle under the console.... It should make it really easy to run a snorkel kit. The belt exhaust is just in a weird place. I don't like how it sits in the wheel well. Seems like it would be easy to knock off if something got in there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes sir, the dealer I was at and I looked at this exact setup. He told me that they reroute them on Rangers and Razors as well. We looked it over and talked of routing the intake over the air box with a different hose and pulling air from the cab. This should be a simple deal to do but why Polaris does this is bizarre. Just looking at it will tell you it will gulp down dirt, snow, mud, dust - everything.

The CAN-AM Defender has the same set up and the same issue, dealers have been rerouting to the cab already. The dealer that looked at with me told me they do that for RXR and RANGER already.

I do want a General but I am real Leary of dropping $20k+ and then having to sink more money into fixes before I even ride it.

1) Firewall - protection
2) Battery Box - protection
3) Radiator - protection
4) Dash Plastic issues
5) Bed side plastic separation - ( I showed the dealer this and he just shook his head)

Im not bashing and I know they all have issues, just thinking out loud.

Reactions: treebeme

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since the intake and belt intake run right down the middle under the console.... It should make it really easy to run a snorkel kit. The belt exhaust is just in a weird place. I don't like how it sits in the wheel well. Seems like it would be easy to knock off if something got in there.
I am not certain about this, but I believe there are 2 belt intakes. The one under the hood and the one behind the drivers door are both intakes. The belt exhaust is on top of the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Checked the General at the dealership today. Defiantly needs inner fender liners if you plan on running anywhere near mud. This rig would bring enough turf home to plant a garden. All four corners have large catch-all areas that need attention.
thanks for the heads up.
if a dealer is watching this it will be wise to include liners with the sale of these.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the heads up.
if a dealer is watching this it will be wise to include liners with the sale of these.

It would be even more wise for Polaris to make it right. Again, im not bashing on Polaris, just seems that this should not have been built this way from the start. Also this is one of the reasons im hedging on buying one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts