Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 General XP 4 Deluxe RC
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an article from the WSJ on the production issues those of us waiting on a new General are facing. One has to wonder how this is going to effect quality, given some production line changes are literally made on-the-fly and in some cases, overnight:

Hurry up and wait!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have to subscribe to read the whole article but the last line available..."If you're mixing and matching, eventually you'll attain a good product mix"...doesn't exactly instill confidence. Eventually you'll end up with something like a machine built by 12 different people (instead of 4) over a period of 3 months (instead of a week) using 4 seats from 3 different suppliers. Of course Polaris has had a reputation for letting the customer be the R&D department for many years so the only real change is the shortage of units to sell.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have to subscribe to read the whole article but the last line available..."If you're mixing and matching, eventually you'll attain a good product mix"...doesn't exactly instill confidence. Eventually you'll end up with something like a machine built by 12 different people (instead of 4) over a period of 3 months (instead of a week) using 4 seats from 3 different suppliers. Of course Polaris has had a reputation for letting the customer be the R&D department for many years so the only real change is the shortage of units to sell.
I don't have a subscription and I was able to read the entire article...

That's my biggest worry here with my 2022 G4 XP on order...

·
Registered
2020 XP4
62 Posts
I couldn't read it all either.

I did notice the Polaris factory workers ball cap supports the KTM club :). Fun picture of the assembly line!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't have a subscription and I was able to read the entire article...

That's my biggest worry here with my 2022 G4 XP on order...
They usually give you a few free articles, but use cookies to keep track. Sometimes if you delete the cookie from wsj.com it will let you back in.

Reactions: Makensmoke

·
Registered
20 G2 XP RC
811 Posts
Unfortunately, this article is not new news to the guys with late production 2021 units, as they know all to well, the build quality issues of playing catch up.

This may be one of the only true stories published in this paper.

BTW, If I subscribe to the WSJ, I may as well put on an AOC helmet and start watching CNN and MSNBC. :eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, this article is not new news to the guys with late production 2021 units, as they know all to well, the build quality issues of playing catch up.

This may be one of the only true stories published in this paper.

BTW, If I subscribe to the WSJ, I may as well put on an AOC helmet and start watching CNN and MSNBC. :eek:
I see we are sympatico re: our current state of affairs with the Fourth Estate. Sad to see the WSJ, the last bastion of a modicum of "journalism" fall so far. Triangulate. Triangulate. Triangulate.

But we digress...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Just my two pesos worth
Every Polaris, UTV, Cars, airplanes, etc. etc. etc. are made by human beings. Much is now done by machines but humans build and run those machines. With fifty one years of off road experience I’ve never had any off road vehicles that were 100% perfect straight off the showroom floor. They’re not perfect, sorry but that’s the truth. Can they make them perfect? Nope. So what do you do?

Your rig will come from your dealer or who you bought one from not perfect. So you start breaking down your Polaris down into what is a priority. Here is a short breakdown
  • Engine. You ain’t going nowhere without it. When you get it home go through it and I don’t mean tear it down, check oil, belt, air cleaner and MOST of all “Fit and Finish” Remember prior to buying your General you did your research and you understand where manufacturing or dealer assembly mistakes could be done.
  • Electrical systems. Check all of your wiring and make sure there’s no wire chafe or rubbing. Remember you did all your research into Polaris’s common issues so check everything.
  • Suspension. Reminds me of buying a brand new Honda XR 500 and riding it home the front wheel started to loosen up. Check every nut, bolt and seals, etc. etc. . My Honda was assembled by the dealer’s 16 year old son, remember the dealer’s number one thing for success is “Sales”
  • Body and Interior. Get your tools out time!!! These so called finished machines are THROWN together by everyone involved in the build chain. I remember bringing my General home and NONE of the doors closed correctly, the front window bolts fell on the ride home on the trailer. The front passenger seat latch was under tightened and whoppi what a fun time.
The Bottom Line: this Pandemic has caused many hang ups for everyone involved with manufacturing. Unfortunately we all are victims of shoddy manufacturing and assembly errors.

My two pesos worth is learn everything you can about your rig BEFORE you get it and understand that they’re not perfect..........

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
724 Posts
Baja, I 100% disagree with your last post, I usually agree with what you have to say and have learned many things from your experiences and wisdom. I am not willing to except substandard craftsmanship as an excuse for what we are dealing with on these brand new machine. Yeah, I get the whole real machines are built not bought thing. If I am a 70 year old guy and I purchased a machine to ride around on dirt roads I should not have to put thousands of dollars into it because the manufacturer didn’t engineer it correctly. Now if I purchase a machine and my sole purpose for it is to rock crawl then I would expect to build it for that purpose or use it to pre-run at Baja again I need to build it…You get the idea…we cannot continue to except these deficiencies on anything brand new as accepotable.

A lot of guy and gals save for along time to be able to purchase one of these toys they should not have to upgrade because the OEM doesn’t work properly.

Just my two cents….

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just my two pesos worth
Every Polaris, UTV, Cars, airplanes, etc. etc. etc. are made by human beings. Much is now done by machines but humans build and run those machines. With fifty one years of off road experience I’ve never had any off road vehicles that were 100% perfect straight off the showroom floor. They’re not perfect, sorry but that’s the truth. Can they make them perfect? Nope. So what do you do?

Your rig will come from your dealer or who you bought one from not perfect. So you start breaking down your Polaris down into what is a priority. Here is a short breakdown
  • Engine. You ain’t going nowhere without it. When you get it home go through it and I don’t mean tear it down, check oil, belt, air cleaner and MOST of all “Fit and Finish” Remember prior to buying your General you did your research and you understand where manufacturing or dealer assembly mistakes could be done.
  • Electrical systems. Check all of your wiring and make sure there’s no wire chafe or rubbing. Remember you did all your research into Polaris’s common issues so check everything.
  • Suspension. Reminds me of buying a brand new Honda XR 500 and riding it home the front wheel started to loosen up. Check every nut, bolt and seals, etc. etc. . My Honda was assembled by the dealer’s 16 year old son, remember the dealer’s number one thing for success is “Sales”
  • Body and Interior. Get your tools out time!!! These so called finished machines are THROWN together by everyone involved in the build chain. I remember bringing my General home and NONE of the doors closed correctly, the front window bolts fell on the ride home on the trailer. The front passenger seat latch was under tightened and whoppi what a fun time.
The Bottom Line: this Pandemic has caused many hang ups for everyone involved with manufacturing. Unfortunately we all are victims of shoddy manufacturing and assembly errors.

My two pesos worth is learn everything you can about your rig BEFORE you get it and understand that they’re not perfect..........

Cheers Baja Charlie
Very wise words to make sure to check all major systems and components once we take delivery. Thank you for taking the time to spell it all out. Humans are gonna be humans, and we simply ain't perfect. We can only strive for perfection, never attaining it in this lifetime.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Baja, I 100% disagree with your last post, I usually agree with what you have to say and have learned many things from your experiences and wisdom. I am not willing to except substandard craftsmanship as an excuse for what we are dealing with on these brand new machine. Yeah, I get the whole real machines are built not bought thing. If I am a 70 year old guy and I purchased a machine to ride around on dirt roads I should not have to put thousands of dollars into it because the manufacturer didn’t engineer it correctly. Now if I purchase a machine and my sole purpose for it is to rock crawl then I would expect to build it for that purpose or use it to pre-run at Baja again I need to build it…You get the idea…we cannot continue to except these deficiencies on anything brand new as accepotable.

A lot of guy and gals save for along time to be able to purchase one of these toys they should not have to upgrade because the OEM doesn’t work properly.

Just my two cents….
Hey amigo two cents versus two pesos???
It’s guys like you that demand perfection in whatever purchases you make that make it better for all of us... mucho gracias amigo

In regards to the best vehicle I’ve EVER owned it was my Honda Rincon 650. 11,000 miles in Baja and the only thing that happened was the battery cable came loose once. ABSOLUTELY the BEST vehicle I’ve ever owned!!!!

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Baja, I 100% disagree with your last post, I usually agree with what you have to say and have learned many things from your experiences and wisdom. I am not willing to except substandard craftsmanship as an excuse for what we are dealing with on these brand new machine.
I agree. For the prices these things are commanding, they should be better.

But I think part of it is planned. Cheap A-arms? Owner can upgrade them. Why should that be necessary? Because the more after-market products there are for a given machine, the better it will sell. So the more owners that feel they need to do upgrades, the larger the aftermarket is.

And the whole "can't fit a receiver in the hitch?" That should never have made it past QC at the factory, much less required an owner to try to file the welds down.

Reactions: RAB005

·
Registered
724 Posts
Best atv I ever had was a 1998 Scrambler 400 rode the crap out of that thing how many miles or hours don’t know but a lot never had to do a thing to it with the exception of wear parts and oil changes. Actually just sold it last week for half of what I paid for it. Didn’t use it anymore…..Why you asked? Looked like a 25 year old on a power wheel.
My point being if we could build products that lasted then, why not now?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Best atv I ever had was a 1998 Scrambler 400 rode the crap out of that thing how many miles or hours don’t know but a lot never had to do a thing to it with the exception of wear parts and oil changes. Actually just sold it last week for half of what I paid for it. Didn’t use it anymore…..Why you asked? Looked like a 25 year old on a power wheel.
My point being if we could build products that lasted then, why not now?
Because they don't want them to last.
Just like appliances and such, they are disposable and don't last like machines made years ago. Sorry times we now live in.

Reactions: RAB005

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
Engineered obsolescence. Everything is built to have a short life span. Take refrigerators for instance. I talked to 2 people recently. One has a 6 year old refrigerator. I don't remember what's going out on it, but it costs as much as a new refrigerator. Just shortly out of warranty. The repair tech said they get 7 years max out of a fridge. The other person bought a brand new fridge and the compressor in it is noisy. Tech told him they will replace it under warranty. Even though it's more than 3/4 the cost of the new fridge. They won't just swap the fridge. It's all a racket. My fridge is 24 years old. Still running strong. I have one in the basement that's pushing 70 yrs old. Still works. If they built everything to last, what will they sell? Thank the computer and tech industry. Their entire business model is based around obsolescence. You buy a new computer and it's outdated by the time you take it out of the box. Everyone else jumped on that bandwagon.

Johnny and I on the same wavelength... You must have posted while I was typing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts