Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I hit up Uwharrie today. What a blast, but man are we tired.

The wife was working the camera, so I didn't know what kind of shots we had, until going through them at home. On to the pics...

The weather was perfect.

I managed to get her out of the General to grab this shot...

Pictures really don't do the steepness of the terrain any justice. We hit a couple real narly sections, but the wife and I both were to busy hanging on, to get pics.

She's hooked, and ready to ride some more. I love it when a plan comes together.

Good times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like alot of fun.! I pick my red one up on Wednesday here in nj.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks cool. So what kind of shape were the trails in. My friends and I are leery of trails sometimes where trunks are allowed on because of the ruts. Also, how many trails are there? Full day of riding? Parking good?

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The terrain is so rocky, ruts aren't an issue. We only had to use 4wd twice, and that was in some heavy rock out croppings, and on a very steep section that rocky and rough.
There's 3trails rated difficult, we hit 2 of them, the third, Daniel, is for full on rocky buggies. The rest are moderate, but even those have a few places that crank up the excitement a bit. There are no real places to go fast, so if you have Windows, leave them at home, you'll welcome the breeze, going open cab.

I think there 20+ miles of trails, and you can easily spend all day there. There's even a few places on the trails for primitive camping, but they have a dedicated campground too.

There's 4 parking lots, I recommend the Dutch John lot, since it's in the middle, and there's a toilet there.

It's been 7+ years since I been there last, and it changed a lot. No way would I take a street truck there, like I've done before. The General was right at home, though.

This trip has shown me two things I need to address. First, the stock seat belts suck. They rubbed on both our necks, to the point we put them under our arms. Some harnesses are in our future. Second, the console lid needs some padding on it. We kept hitting our elbows on it in the rough stuff. The wife rubbed a blister on hers.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves, and can't wait to go riding again.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The terrain is so rocky, ruts aren't an issue. We only had to use 4wd twice, and that was in some heavy rock out croppings, and on a very steep section that rocky and rough.
There's 3trails rated difficult, we hit 2 of them, the third, Daniel, is for full on rocky buggies. The rest are moderate, but even those have a few places that crank up the excitement a bit. There are no real places to go fast, so if you have Windows, leave them at home, you'll welcome the breeze, going open cab.

It's been 7+ years since I been there last, and it changed a lot. No way would I take a street truck there, like I've done before. The General was right at home, though.

This trip has shown me two things I need to address. First, the stock seat belts suck. They rubbed on both our necks, to the point we put them under our arms. Some harnesses are in our future. Second, the console lid needs some padding on it. We kept hitting our elbows on it in the rough stuff. The wife rubbed a blister on hers.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves, and can't wait to go riding again.

The seat belt on your neck is a issue. Iwill be getting seatbelt covers.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I just got my seat belt covers from Amazon a pair for $6.99 shipped free black foam with Valcro seems to be weather resistant. I will try them this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
We may try to head out there this Sunday. Where did y'all park and what trails should we try to hit for a day trip? If we don't go there we might head to CAW, but they are a little expensive.

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
We parked at the Dutch John parking lot, it's the middle one, so you're right in the center of all the trails. Plus that's where the "toilet" is. We hit every trail except Daniel, as it has a very steep/rocky section that I wasn't prepared to take the General up yet. I've ridden an ATV up it before, and it was an all out, white knuckle event. After seeing how much more difficult the rest of the place had gotten since my last visit, I figured Daniel would be unpassable, never even went to it.

The rest of the trails are great, with some pretty technical stuff here and there.

We will be going back.

Yeah, $32 a person for CAW is ridiculous. It's the closest place to where I live, but also by far the most expensive. Probably won't go there much due to the price.

Unfortunately there's really not a lot of options to ride close to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just in case you don't know. You have to get a park pass from the store down the road from Uwharrie. They're only $5 per vehicle using the trails. Can't beat that price anywhere.

Is it $5 per person or $5 per vehicle?

Thanks for the info. I will have to print me out a trail map so I can plan out where to go. CAW is where my friends have always went to ride and I have been there as a passenger before I got my General. It's nice when they keep it up and it's not that far from me. We live just outside Gastonia so it's about an hour and a half. I think Uwharrie is about the same distance. Just watching the weather to see what we are doing.

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
227 Posts
Guys,
I haven't been this year but they did alot of work on daniel over the winter on the big ledge and corner that give people problems coming from the parking lot. We went up it before the work so i'm sure the general wouldn't have an issue with anything on daniel now. The section at the top that has 3 or 4 different lines is very doing in the general or a rzr.

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The wife and I hit up Uwharrie again today. We really enjoy this place, it has some good technical stuff, mixed in with some leisure trails.

I wish the camera didn't flatten out the terrain so much. This is going up a pretty gnarly hill on the Dickey Bell trail, but it's the easier of two. Didn't get any pics of the second, wife was too busy hanging on.

You can see the freshly installed front mud guards, did their job.

Gratuitous wheel in the air shot. Wife was hollering "STOP, STOP, STOP!" Let me get a picture! lol

Making our way to Daniel. Crawled it across those rocks pretty easy.

At the top of the big hill on Daniel. Once again, the camera is killing the drama of this hill. The steepness is crazy. The view was awesome though.

Watched a couple Jeeps make their way up.

Uwharrie traffic jam.

Those two guys were on what were pretty much street bikes. Not sure what they were thinking.

We had a good time, and the weather was perfect. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
We made our way out to Uwharrie this past Sunday. We had alot of fun. The trails were in great shape. Its true though.... These are not fast trails. I never came out of low the whole time. We rode for about 30 miles but didn't go down the Daniel or Dutch John. We will be going back. great ride for only $5. Stop at the Eldorado Outpost for you passes, food, and fuel.

The only problem I had was that a young girl in a Jeep got a little pissy while I was move over so she could pass. I needed to back up and move back in so she could pass and she just gave me a dirty look and gunned it passed me almost hitting me and pushing me over a hill. So maybe her riding alone was a good indicator of her day to day attitude.

Reactions: Trapper and MMX
1 - 20 of 22 Posts