Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I added four sections of Mac's VersaTie tracks to the trailer. These allow me more flexibility in positioning larger or smaller UTVs, ATVs, etc. The positioning of the General as shown is basically a perfect tongue weight when allowing for the General, gas, glass windshields, light bar and 1100 lb. trailer. One thing for sure. You really need a double axle trailer to safely haul the 2020 General XP 4 1000. It's just too big and heavy for a single 3500 lb axle. I found one single axle trailer that would work technically. But it had absolutely no extra space in front or back of the General. There would be no adjusting for tongue weight by moving the UTV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I added four sections of Mac's VersaTie tracks to the trailer. These allow me more flexibility in positioning larger or smaller UTVs, ATVs, etc. The positioning of the General as shown is basically a perfect tongue weight when allowing for the General, gas, glass windshields, light bar and 1100 lb. trailer. One thing for sure. You really need a double axle trailer to safely haul the 2020 General XP 4 1000. It's just too big and heavy for a single 3500 lb axle. I found one single axle trailer that would work technically. But it had absolutely no extra space in front or back of the General. There would be no adjusting for tongue weight by moving the UTV.
That’s a great looking setup. Really like the looks of that tie-down system. I’ll have to look into it and what materials they use. I have been worried about which track systems I should use if I get an aluminum trailer due to galvanic corrosion. That trailer is about a perfect fit but since I tow forward, I think I should probably go 16’. I think at 14’ my engine would probably be behind the back tire. Appreciate the pictures and info.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I hear you and see what your saying. They have to print that because a single axle trailer without breaks has to be under 3000#. Still doesn't take away from the fact that it has a 3500# axle. It might not pass a DOT check but that math works out for me. Just saying!
Can it haul it safely? Sure. But have an accident and the other party's attorney will have a field day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im running a 10k 20' dual axle trailer. I know its overkill but i tow trucks for rock crawling as well. Once i put a couple dirtbikes on it and the xp4 its pretty well full. I use a hitch with a scale on it for accurate tongue weight for safe towing and it is nice to dial in 10% tongue weight the xtra length allows for that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Guess I never gave an update. It was not easy with the pandemic but I eventually found a 2021 Aluma 7816 trailer and have been really happy with it. Pulls really well and is much lighter than the car trailer I was using. Will install some wheel bonnets sometime next year when I’m bored. Was hesitant about the 16’ at first but now glad I did. I can haul the kayaks with the ramp folded down which makes a big difference in fuel economy. Wouldn’t have been able to with a 14’. And I’m future proofed if machines get longer.

528D72F5-BA64-4D23-B541-E51B4E36A20D.jpeg

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Very nice setup and like the pickup color!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
...I eventually found a 2021 Aluma 7816 trailer and have been really happy with it. Pulls really well and is much lighter than the car trailer I was using...
Great choice. I have that exact trailer, including the rock shield and bi-fold gate, and couldn't be happier. Happy Trails!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Very nice set up!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You got a good one congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I opted for the 16’ trailer over the 14’. It just gives you a little more room. Especially if you decide to mount a tool box for all your gear.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts