Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 6.5’ wide utility trailers (steel and aluminum) and can’t decide on a 14’ vs 16’ length. I have a General 4 XP for reference. I know the 14’ is plenty long, but been going back and forth. 14’ would be easier to maneuver and store but the 16’ would allow for more room to adjust my tongue weight and if machines get longer in the future. Just really torn and wondering what others think that pull tandem axle trailers this size. Currently leaning Aluma 6.5x14 tandem axle but looking for advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the XP 4 as well with a 16’ trailer. I feel like 14 would be a little tight for my liking. just my 2 cents.
That picture is extremely helpful as that’s my exact machine and looks like 14 would be snug. May I ask specifics on your trailer?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
If I remember correctly it is 16’ long by 76” wide. Not a ton of extra width but it fits just fine. I can measure tomorrow after work to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly it is 16’ long by 76” wide. Not a ton of extra width but it fits just fine. I can measure tomorrow after work to be 100% sure.
No that’s ok. Close enough to give me an idea. What’s the brand?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I would definitely get one that is at 4 ft longer than your General. I have a truck bed tool box mounted and the front of the trailer for a stool, a 3 ton floor jack, a bag for all my straps, and of course all that stuff we can't find any place for. The tool box is at the front, so a bit of tongue weight, but not going to fishtail on me!! Then there is room to add a spare tire rack, gas can rack and have plenty of room for tie downs and such.

My utility trailer, licensed as RZRTRLR, is an 84" x 14'. My 1016 G2 is 110" long and 62.5" wide. So an extra 21.5" in width an extra 48" in length.

I also installed a set of the gorilla-lifts. Makes handling that tall tailgate a breeze.

Pirate

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking at 6.5’ wide utility trailers (steel and aluminum) and can’t decide on a 14’ vs 16’ length. I have a General 4 XP for reference. I know the 14’ is plenty long, but been going back and forth. 14’ would be easier to maneuver and store but the 16’ would allow for more room to adjust my tongue weight and if machines get longer in the future. Just really torn and wondering what others think that pull tandem axle trailers this size. Currently leaning Aluma 6.5x14 tandem axle but looking for advice.
Okay afriend ofmine had a really nice 16 foot tandem trailer for his G4 and soldit and bought a 14 foot single axle all because he got tired of fighting to manuver the 16 footer around his house and at the campgrounds. seems the 14 is perfectly balance and easy to move. Other then that, for safty and ride, you can never beat a tandem trailer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My choice was a single axle when I was hauling two sportsman. Reason being, I flipped the axle, added a drop shackle, gave me 6 inches of lift and put 33" tires on it. I could take it anywhere. I still had the trailer and now it has 31"tires and works good. If I was gonna have a tandom axle, why not go 16.

Attachments

Reactions: BrandonM1980

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the XP 4 as well with a 16’ trailer. I feel like 14 would be a little tight for my liking. just my 2 cents.
I have a 2018 G4 and this almost exact same trailer and I wouldn't want one any shorter.

Reactions: BrandonM1980

·
Registered
841 Posts
My choice was a single axle when I was hauling two sportsman. Reason being, I flipped the axle, added a drop shackle, gave me 6 inches of lift and put 33" tires on it. I could take it anywhere. I still had the trailer and now it has 31"tires and works good. If I was gonna have a tandom axle, why not go 16.
Biggest issue I see is you are over the payload weight for that trailer. And that is with an empty machine before you add fluids and gear.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Biggest issue I see is you are over the payload weight for that trailer. And that is with an empty machine before you add fluids and gear.
Trailer has 3500# axles and weighs 1000#, the machine weighs @2000+

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I used to haul my G4 on a 14’ SA trailer until I noticed the paint peeling off the top of a wheel well after a trip to moab. Payload was too much and tires were rubbing causing friction and severe tire wear. Lucky I didn’t lose one on the way home. The fourteener was also just big enough to balance weight, but not carry much more. Just upgraded to an Aluma 7816 (16’) TA with brakes and feel it’s comfortably the right size (not too long or short) with plenty of weight rating to be safe and off my mind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to haul my G4 on a 14’ SA trailer until I noticed the paint peeling off the top of a wheel well after a trip to moab. Payload was too much and tires were rubbing causing friction and severe tire wear. Lucky I didn’t lose one on the way home. The fourteener was also just big enough to balance weight, but not carry much more. Just upgraded to an Aluma 7816 (16’) TA with brakes and feel it’s comfortably the right size (not too long or short) with plenty of weight rating to be safe and off my mind.
I’m actually looking at the 7814 and 7816. Did you go with the ramps or bifold gate? The 7814 actually has a 14.5’ deck according to the specs so only 1.5’ difference between the two. Just not sure I could fit two trailers in the shed if I went with the 7816 since I believe it’s over 20’ long total.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Trailer has 3500# axles and weighs 1000#, the machine weighs @2000+
Sadly it doesn't work that way. That trailer only has a payload capacity of 1922# per the mfg specs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I’m actually looking at the 7814 and 7816. Did you go with the ramps or bifold gate? The 7814 actually has a 14.5’ deck according to the specs so only 1.5’ difference between the two... I believe it’s over 20’ long total.
I found one with the bifold gate and a rock guard in the front. I had ramps on my old trailer and always wished I had a gate, but didn’t want a huge sail at the back. This is a perfect compromise, and it’s more stout than it looked in pictures. I also wasn’t planning on the rock guard, but it was preinstalled and I’m starting to really like it.
Trailer is barely over 20’ tip to tail.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sadly it doesn't work that way. That trailer only has a payload capacity of 1922# per the mfg specs.
I hear you and see what your saying. They have to print that because a single axle trailer without breaks has to be under 3000#. Still doesn't take away from the fact that it has a 3500# axle. It might not pass a DOT check but that math works out for me. Just saying!

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the Aluma 7814TA-EL-R-TR-RTD for my 2020 Polaris General XP 4 1000. It's a perfect fit, with just enough room at the front and rear to fine tune your tongue weight simply by rolling a few inches with the General. I also like that it doesn't have a rear tailgate that must add some wind resistance. It works best if you back the General on so that the engine is closer to the tongue. Then the tongue weight can be made perfect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the Aluma 7814TA-EL-R-TR-RTD for my 2020 Polaris General XP 4 1000. It's a perfect fit, with just enough room at the front and rear to fine tune your tongue weight simply by rolling a few inches with the General. I also like that it doesn't have a rear tailgate that must add some wind resistance. It works best if you back the General on so that the engine is closer to the tongue. Then the tongue weight can be made perfect.
Good to know, although I prefer to tow it facing forward so maybe a 16’ is better suited for that. Do you happen to have any pics of your G4 on the Aluma?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts