Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added three positive connections and two ground connections to the battery posts.

Positive - the winch power, my 8 gauge 30 Amp accessory bus wire, and now a Battery Tender power.

Ground - the winch ground and a Battery Tender ground.

I like my battery connections to be solid, and capable of carrying the design max current to each load. I've become a bit concerned that even the right size ring connector for the size wire I've used may not really be able to carry max current.

So what to do? On my 2009 RZR 800 when I did the dual battery project I used a Rockford Fosgate four wire battery post connector.

Here's a pic of my battery before starting the project:

Here's the Rockford Fosgate post as I purchase on Amazon:

So...here we go. First I had to cut the red plastic cover off the positive cable connection to the battery. Use care...I did a nice job of slicing the ball of my left thumb...nice job Pirate!!

I used a battery post cleaner to assure the battery posts were clean and the surface slightly rough for good electrical connection.

At this point it seemed to make sense to remove the battery and then add the Rockford Fosgate posts. One of the things I noticed quickly, that I have never seen before...the positive battery post is larger in diameter than the ground battery post. The Rockford Fosgate posts come with an insert in the battery post "hole". So remove it from the positive post and leave it in for the negative post.

This way the Rockford Fosgate adapter press easily down onto the battery posts, tighten the 5mm allen bolt and they are nice and secure and a very good electrical connection.

Notice that my Positive adapter is turned a bit and the Ground adapter is pointed straight to the rear. I did this because the positive cable from the starter solenoid to the positive battery post is fairly short and I had to remove the factory crimped on end. To prevent shortening the cable. I removed the red plastic cover over the end of the cable, clamped it in the vise, and used a 2" cut off wheel in a pneumatic angle grinder. I used the cut off wheel to cut open the crimps and remove them without shortening the cable. Worked like a charm!

Not the very best pic, but hopefully you can see the now bare ends of the solenoid cable, the winch cable and the accessory bus cable:

The battery and winch positive cables go in the two large "holes" in the adapter and the accessory bus wire in the lower center "hole". The large "holes" use a 5mm allen set screw and the two smaller center "holes" use 4mm allen set screws. I remove the set screw and then insert the cable. That way I know it is fully inserted and with the allen screw tight I will have an excellent electrical connection. In the top center "hole" is the new #12 red wire for the Battery Tender connection. I used the #12 wire as the Battery Tender connection will also be used to power the pump on my weed sprayer tank.

You can't really see the Ground wire connections, but the system ground cable is in the left large "hole" and the winch ground cable is in the right large "hole". The Battery Tender ground is in the upper center "hole".

And with the plastic covers snapped over the adapters:

One additional note. Use a small screwdriver or awl to check the depth of wire to go into each of the "holes". The large "holes" accept about 7/16" of bare cable. The lower small "hole" will take about 5/8" of bare cable and the upper small "hole" takes only 3/8" of bare cable. All of these are approximate and you should check yours. But these leave me with the cable/wire insulation just inside the "hole". So a clean, safe, solid electrical connection.

So there you have it. A $56 project that cleans up the battery connections and makes for solid, long life connections!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts