Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s been a few discussions regarding this, but I’m looking for info about a-arm manufacturers and current choices and options. Thumper Fab makes some stout arms, but only for XP models. I hear a lot of wildly different opinions about the SuperATV arms, so I’m completely on the fence with those and leaning away from them. I don’t hear much either way about the HighLifter a-arms, but would like to hear more.

Naturally, I’ll upgrade the ball-joints at the same time also. But who else out there is manufacturing quality a-arms for the General? Who stands behind their product and warranty? Who has reasonable customer service? Are adjustable units necessary, or even effective? What options should be considered? Let’s hear the good, the bad and the ugly…

· Registered
2018 Polaris General deluxe
25 Posts
I personally run the satv a-arms on my 18 g2 deluxe on all 4 corners and have had no issues with them with several thousand miles on them. I've heard of people breaking them at the adjusters, which I could see in extreme scenarios givin that it's not a solid fixed part of the arm although in those scenarios my next thought would be what what have bent or broken if not for that, everything has to have a weak link, you dont want your frame to be it, I personally have not had any issues. When it comes to the ball joints in the front I believe u get what you pay for, if you opt for the cheaper ones, well that's exactly what you get. One thing I've learned in the years of owning and working on SXS's is if it can be broke someone will break it and usually not necessarily at fault of the part or machine, and ofcoarse negative experiences tend to spread much quicker that positive experiences unfortunately. I personally like the adjustment for camber when running oversized tires and wider offset wheels to really dial in your camber, givin you will take the time to set it up properly, it can be time consuming to get it set up but once it's done its done unless you change your setup. Just my experience and 2 cents worth, hope it helps

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I’m fully aware of all your talking points, how to install them, align the frontend, etc. But before I ever buy any components (suspension or otherwise), I just like to gather firsthand input and experiences from those who’ve had recent purchases, because aftermarket offerings (and consistency) tend to change rapidly and frequently in this industry.

One nod for SuperATV. I firmly believe that regardless the product or manufacturer, if you WANT to find someone with something negative to say about any given item, you can and will. I also know that some guys could destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet. I like to gather as much info and opinions as I can, and weed through those to establish my own. So my search for available a-arms that best suit my needs and budget, continues.

· Registered
2019 rc
433 Posts
SATV +1.5 Adjustable front, 300m ball joints. T-Rex +1.5 Fixed rear for me. Super Dave's bushings make both ends complete. Unless your lucky you will want camber adjustability in the front. 3000mi. No problemo. Can't comment on the SATV warranty as I haven't had to use it yet! T-Rex arms are no longer made. There are many options out there, No matter what you decide, SD bushings should be a requirement.

· Vendor
560 Posts
Hard to be the strength, no-question warranty, and price with your forum member discount. For ball joints, our HD 4340 or 300M are about as good as it gets for a standard press in joint. Or, you can go with the Keller style too. Both are top notch. For the complaints, there was one guy in here that broke a rear many years ago, and he had a new one on the way right after. I saw a couple others years ago around the same time. Still pretty rare. Those pivot blocks were upgraded to 4340 chromoly many years ago, and it hasn't come up for years.

If you decide to go with ours, just shoot me PM and I'll get you the forum member discount.

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,316 Posts
IMO the worry of the adjustment point breaking isn't worth it. Sure, it probably doesn't happen much. But if it does, you get a free arm. What about the ruined trip, ruined shock, time to fix and other parts that are possibly ruined? That comes out of your pocket/time. Also why do they need adjustment? I find it hard to believe that polaris makes these machines that sloppy/inconsistent...

For those reasons I'd stay away from the adjustable arms. Stick with thumper fab, high lifter, houser racing or something similar that's non adjustable...

For ball joints, look at kryptonite. Their stuff is amazing... ball joints and tie rods are stout!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Vendor
560 Posts
The OEM frames really are that sloppy. We've already seen it in the standard General model and just here recently in new XP model (discovered in this forum). Plus...its so bad that we actually had to design two sets of front A-arms to fit both extremes of the sloppy frame tolerance. Initially we thought it was a model/year change in 2016, but quickly realized the frame tolerances were really that sloppy.

Here's a pic from the website on how to determine which kit will best fit your frame.

· Registered
527 Posts
Does anyone find it strange that SATV only shows this tolerance issue only with the UPPER A arms and not the LOWER as well?
The Lowers have been used from 16'/23'.

Surely they didn't overlook something.

· Vendor
560 Posts
Does anyone find it strange that SATV only shows this tolerance issue only with the UPPER A arms and not the LOWER as well?

Not at all, @Toxic-21 . The lowers are all the same. The lower frame tabs on the main lower frame section have been consistent from 16/23. The upper frame tabs are the only issue.

And because they are on the same frame, this also applies to the RZR 900, 900 S, and 1000 S models.

· Registered
527 Posts
Not at all, @Toxic-21 . The lowers are all the same. The lower frame tabs on the main lower frame section have been consistent from 16/23. The upper frame tabs are the only issue.

And because they are on the same frame, this also applies to the RZR 900, 900 S, and 1000 S models.

So how has it just been the Uppers only that are not consistent?
So they are welded in the same jig, and for some reason the uppers are wrong since 2016.
Ok.👍

· Registered
2021 Polaris General 1000
361 Posts

Tbh regardless what year they will work. Polaris A arm tabs are just crap. I have had to shim a set, and the next set where hella tight... same year/same model
same thing in 2021 General boxs where either lined up or completely off. Mine had rubbing issues on one side, and other side huge gap!!! its the manufacture not replacing there jigs or adjusting them to spec.

· Registered
361 Posts

It is all Polaris SXS's they need to either replace jigs or adjust them more often.
I deal with this crap all the time. 2 machines same model same year will be gapped differently.

· Registered
361 Posts
I know there’s been a few discussions regarding this, but I’m looking for info about a-arm manufacturers and current choices and options. Thumper Fab makes some stout arms, but only for XP models. I hear a lot of wildly different opinions about the SuperATV arms, so I’m completely on the fence with those and leaning away from them. I don’t hear much either way about the HighLifter a-arms, but would like to hear more.

Naturally, I’ll upgrade the ball-joints at the same time also. But who else out there is manufacturing quality a-arms for the General? Who stands behind their product and warranty? Who has reasonable customer service? Are adjustable units necessary, or even effective? What options should be considered? Let’s hear the good, the bad and the ugly…
My question is why do you want to replace the OEM A arms?
want to put bigger tires on?
just want a Arched arm?
Adjustable camber?
If your looking for adjustable look for upper ball joint style adjustability, or you will be removing a arms adjusting and repeat.
looking for forward I believe you can get 1.5 forward to put Bigger tires on.
normally every aftermarket A arm will be arched.
companies to check out. Catvos,RBC,Highlifter,SATV,HCR probably make the best or extreme duty but expect to Pay!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My question is why do you want to replace the OEM A arms?
want to put bigger tires on?
just want a Arched arm?
Adjustable camber?
If your looking for adjustable look for upper ball joint style adjustability, or you will be removing a arms adjusting and repeat.
looking for forward I believe you can get 1.5 forward to put Bigger tires on.
normally every aftermarket A arm will be arched.
companies to check out. Catvos,RBC,Highlifter,SATV,HCR probably make the best or extreme duty but expect to Pay!!!!!!!!!!
All I really want to achieve is a little ground clearance by means of arch and some forward clearance. I’m only running 30x10x14 Terrabites, so I just want to gain a little more clearance on the fenders. I won’t be beating the snot out of this rig. Been there, done that. Pretty much narrowed it down to Highlifter or SATV.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
It may just be me and another guy on the General FB page, but when I put the HL arms on my 2018 G4 I started breaking rear axles. Broke 4 of them. Put my old SATV arms back on.

YMMV

Reactions: SuperATV

· Vendor
560 Posts
So how has it just been the Uppers only that are not consistent?
So they are welded in the same jig, and for some reason the uppers are wrong since 2016.
Ok.👍
You'd have to ask Polaris QC that question, @Toxic-21 . I'd love to know too. It would have saved us a lot of time and fitment issues having to cover that wide tolerance with 2 different kits.

I'm guessing different jigs at different plants? Maybe some coming out of the Minneapolis plant and some out of the Mexico plant? 🤷‍♂️ Like I previously mentioned, its the same frame as the RZR 900, 900 S, and 1000 S, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had multiple jigs at both plants to cover multiple production lines.

· Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
5,119 Posts
My goal for getting the SuperATV high clearance A-arms was the ability to get the camber to zero degrees. The wheels straight up and down.
If they had one that was the same shape as OEM, but had the camber adjustment. That's what I would be using. Then I could use a Factory UTV A-arm skid set.
Pirate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts