Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know I have read a few posts regarding the arrows on the instrument panel not working with the engine running. Has anyone spotted a solution? Should I just use some LED indicators in the dash or should I even care? Mine is in for service right now and they are seeking a solution from the manufacturer but I don't want them sitting on it forever if its like "not a big deal"? Any insight would be helpful TIA!

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
I plan on looking into the very thing but not had time pirate did a wright up on it. And never seen any real answer. I think that with engine running it will need a flasher working on the ground side to make them blink just have to get the time to check it out. I believe they are like the newer cars and trucks and switch the ground side and other is always hot but like I said not had time to look at yet

Reactions: kalebson

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
I will have to gather some info in order to be able to respond intelligently...

But...there are no wires to the turn signal indicators in the wiring harness plug...that plugs into the Instrument Cluster.

Del City makes the correct wire pin and I have ordered them and used them.

You have to be very careful inserting the wires...and I'll provide info on which wire goes where.

But even still, it can be frustrating. My left turn indicator signal works every time. My right turn signal indicator worked one time.

I have traced voltage from the turn signal light up to the pin...and there is voltage that "blinks" as it should.

All I can figure is there is something wrong with the Instrument Cluster and I haven't had time to take it up with my Dealer.

Yes, you will have to install a "turn signal" kit in order to have turn signals. I used a "golf cart" kit that allows me to use the LED rear tail/stop lights as the turn signal indicators too!

More to come, and if I get busy and forget...PM me as a reminder.

Pirate

·
Registered
10 Posts
I make signal kits for a local dealer. Mostly for Rangers(mostly farmers around here) In the 2013 to 2017 Rangers the in gauge indicators light both arrows no matter which wire is powered. Looks like the new 1000 ranger has the General cluster in it. Looks like the general indicators are separate. I am exited to make this work. . Surprisingly no one has asked for a kit for a General yet and I haven't worked out the specifics. So my searching has lead me here to this post and I thought I would share the part number for the pin that is used in the connector.

EDIT: no posting links for noobs I guess so anyone can pm me for the mouser link and I will send it on but here is the mouser pn: 829-12084913

You have to disassemble the connector to get it in deep enough and those pins can slip out and leave you with a handful of loose wires if you are not careful. Take a picture before you take it apart. Plus the little blue blanking pins will disappear into another dimension if you let them out of your sight for a second.

Bernie

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Howdy Berniep and welcome.
Good info.

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Welcome to the site Berniep !

sounds like you have an interesting job/hobby:grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy Berniep and welcome.
Good info.
Thanks good to be here.
Welcome to the site Berniep !

sounds like you have an interesting job/hobby:grin2:
Just a hobby lol. I wish I could make a living at something like this.
I just turn it into more stuff for my ride.

I'm just really interested to hear what Pirate comes up with.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
OK, went through and looked at my spare parts box

In the pic below you can see that pin locations 6 and 7 have a blue cover over them. This is a ½” long blank that can easily be removed with tweezers or an exacto knife.

Pin 6 is the LEFT TURN SIGNAL INPUT

Pin 7 is the RIGHT TURN SIGNAL INPUT

http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33953&thumb=1

The correct pin to use on your turn signal wires is

Del City Delcity.net

https://www.delcity.net/store/ATM-Series-Socket-Contacts/p_810273.h_808499

PN 14622012

Description

Socket Contact,
Nickel-Plated, Solid 22-20
ga, Size 20, ATM Series
AT62-201-20141 (1 MIN)

As noted you must use small needle-nose plier to shove the pin all the way into the female portion of the plug.

Be very careful not to damage the plug...you can't replace it. I know...I did and wound up buying a complete General wiring harness for $800 to get the plug! (but I'm ready for any other electrical problem.)

Pirate

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, went through and looked at my spare parts box

In the pic below you can see that pin locations 6 and 7 have a blue cover over them. This is a ½” long blank that can easily be removed with tweezers or an exacto knife.

Pin 6 is the LEFT TURN SIGNAL INPUT

Pin 7 is the RIGHT TURN SIGNAL INPUT

The correct pin to use on your turn signal wires is

Del City Delcity.net

PN 14622012

Description

Socket Contact,
Nickel-Plated, Solid 22-20
ga, Size 20, ATM Series
AT62-201-20141 (1 MIN)

As noted you must use small needle-nose plier to shove the pin all the way into the female portion of the plug.

Be very careful not to damage the plug...you can't replace it. I know...I did and wound up buying a complete General wiring harness for $800 to get the plug! (but I'm ready for any other electrical problem.)

Pirate
So does it work correctly?
Looks like you found the closed barrel type and I use the open barrel type of pin. Because I have an open barrel crimper lol.

You can further disassemble the connector to get the pin fully seated.(which I am sure you know but for others)
I have found that they will only fully seat about 20 percent of the time without taking it farther apart. You shouldn't be able to pull it back out if its full seated. Push and squeeze on those two white pegs and the top cover comes off with the blue dummy pins. Then you will see how the pins click onto the base, then you will be able to see how the bottom part comes apart holding the pins in place.
Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Bernie,

Mine are the open barrel type connector and go over the pin in the instrument cluster. and I solder the wire into the barrel, there is a tiny hole the solder flows right into.

But dang it, my left works all the time, my right does not. Have used test light to determine that I have blinking signal all the way to the plug.

So am wondering if I don't have a defective instrument cluster.

Checked and checked and checked to make sure the pin is fully seated in the plug

Would you be able to post a pic of how you squeeze the white pegs and how the plug comes apart.

I'd be real interested in seeing that before I tear into mine again.

Also, does the light kit you put together integrate with the wiring harness and use the LED taillights for the turn signals?

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bernie,

Mine are the open barrel type connector and go over the pin in the instrument cluster. and I solder the wire into the barrel, there is a tiny hole the solder flows right into.

But dang it, my left works all the time, my right does not. Have used test light to determine that I have blinking signal all the way to the plug.

Checked and checked and checked to make sure the pin is fully seated in the plug

Would you be able to post a pic of how you squeeze the white pegs and how the plug comes apart.

Also, does the light kit you put together integrate with the wiring harness and use the LED taillights for the turn signals?

Thanks,

Pirate
It will be the weekend before I can get to it. But I will get some pics of it taken apart.

And yes currently my kits include a little adapter you place inline on the brake wire next to the tail light. Makes the brake light flash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bernie,

Thanks,

Pirate
Ok I made a short video on taking the connector apart. I cannot post links or pm people, but I can reply to PMs so if you want to PM me I can send you the link and maybe you could post it for others looking for this information.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
OK folks...how about a little more information to go with Bernie's YouTube video on disassembling the Instrument Cluster plug to add wiring for the turn signal indicators?

I watched Bernie's video twice and had a couple of questions so I got out my old connector, took some pics and annotated them:

First is a pic looking at the grey "plug" half of the connector with information on how to disassemble.
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34514&thumb=1

Next is a pic of the white center piece of the plug with more info on how it disassembles:
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34522&thumb=1

Here's some info on removing the translucent grey piece on the end of the connector:
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34498&thumb=1

More info on the plug disassembly:
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34498&thumb=1

And lastly...more info on the plug:
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34530&thumb=1

And here is information on the correct pin to use. Purchased from www.mouser.com
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34538&thumb=1

Thanks to Bernie for the info on the pin, 50 cents each. And for reviewing the pics and annotations!

Hope this is helpful!

Pirate

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Rocklong...ouch!!!

But the indicators in the instrument clusters are probably LEDs on the cluster circuit board.

Plug my real PITA has been that I get the wires installed as far as necessary and the have to hope they don't back out.

I plug the harness into the instrument cluster and the right indicator works once. Check the left, it works...back to the right...nothin'

So if nothing else getting the right pin...that locks in place. And disassembling the connector to get all the wires in and positions correctly...

If the right still doesn't work...that give me the data I need to ask my Dealer to replace the cluster under my Polaris extended warranty.

Time is gonna tell...if those danged plugs show up!!

Everything I've bought or sent for maintenance...get shipped on Wednesday...and I don't get it until the following Monday!! Sux!!!

Pirate

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
OK all, here we go...I installed the new pins that Berniep gave me the info on...and the Instrument Cluster turn signal indicators now function as they should!! The whole project took me about an hour to complete and that included the time to write down the steps in the following description.

Here we go:

Remove the Driver’s Seat and place a soft towel or something like it on the battery cover for a place to set tools and parts.

Remove the upper Tilt Cylinder bolt. Takes a 4mm allen and 10mm end wrench.

While holding the steering wheel up, place a pry bar or large screwdriver between the Tilt Cylinder and Steering Column and pry the Tilt Cylinder out of the bracket on the Steering Column. Just let the Tilt Cylinder hang by the lower bolt.

I set a jack stand adjusted to 15” tall and placed a soft cloth on top of that, and let the steering wheel rest on it. Thus protecting the Steering Wheel.

With the Steering Wheel resting on the jack stand its easy to see the Instrument Cluster Visor and the Instrument Cluster Plug on the back of the Cluster.

Remove the Instrument Cluster Visor by first pulling out at the bottom outside corners to disengage the clips, then lift off the top clips and set the Visor aside.

Now to unplug the Instrument Cluster wiring harness. Take a minute to look at the backside of the cluster and you will see the grey plug as shown in the pic below.
The clip is on the bottom. As shown in the pic press in on the top of the clip to release. To be honest, I had to use a long thin screwdriver behind the lower end of the clip to get it to pop loose from the Instrument Cluster. Take your time and be careful. I wasn’t the first time around, and learned the only way to get a replacement plug is to buy an entire wiring harness for the General. That was a bit over $800! But now I have the rest of it if I ever need it. (I hope not!)
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35394&thumb=1

Now go back to the information Berniep provided on how to disassemble the plug. And with the proper Mouser pins in hand…and a pin crimping tool or a set of small needle nose pliers…

As shown in the pic below:

Slide the grey portion of the plug up the wiring harness far enough to be able to slide the orange rubber section up the wiring harness and expose the white piece of the plug.

As you can see there is a yellow wire at both ends of the plug and there are two open wiring holes to the right of the, whew, left hand yellow wire. These two open ports are for the turn signal indicator wires. The two ports are pin 6 and pin 7.

Pin 7 is the Right turn signal and I chose to use Red wire…Red for Right.
Pin 6 the Left turn signal and I chose to use Green wire.

http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35402&thumb=1

Strip the insulation from just a bit over ¼” of the wires for the Turn Signal Indicator inputs. A note here. As I wired the turn signal kit in, I ran a Red hot wire from the right front turn signal to the instrument cluster and a Green hot wire from the left front turn signal to the instrument cluster. These two wires are the ones to crimp the new Mouser pins onto.

http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35426&thumb=1

When you have the pins securely crimped onto the Red and Green wires. Insert them, one at a time, through the grey section, through the orange rubber section as shown in the pic below:

http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35418&thumb=1

Now carefully insert the Green wire through the #6 pin opening and the Red wire through the #7 pin opening and push them in until you hear the pin “click” as it locks into place. I used a small set of needle nose pliers to hold the wire as I pushed the pins through the white section until they “clicked” into place.

Now is the time to replace the translucent grey piece of the plug over the pins. One side of the piece as a rectangular engagement piece on it. This side goes over the exposed pins. You can sorta see that in the pic below. The rectangular piece is on the same side of the white piece as the wires.

http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35410&thumb=1

Push the translucent grey piece onto the white piece until the two clips engage. There I a pic of this earlier in this post.

Now work the orange rubber piece down over the white piece until fully seated.

Now work the grey plug piece down over the orange rubber piece until the clips on the top of the white piece click into place in the grey piece.

Now insert the plug into the Instrument Cluster until the clip engages. And you’re done.

If I could figure out how to upload a short video, it would show the left, then right, then emergency Instrument Cluster indicators flashing as they should!!

Yup all of them work as they should!! A big Shout Out to Berniep for his video and information on which pins to order!!!

Pirate

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Guess I have another job ahead of me now :grin2:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts