Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Welcome to the site Wyoming Cowboy!
I would think that you would have to get a transaxle and replace yours as to adding it to the one you have. That being said without seeing a 16 transaxle and not knowing if the spot for the wires or other parts is cast into the case of the 16?

Reactions: Trapper

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Not only trans axle but wire harness and dash switch would have to be changed or altered anyways. And I would bet Polaris would not give away the transaxle!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Interesting, go to CheapCycleParts and go through the fiche pages for the General, and there doesn't seem to be an "International" model like the RZR that has a turf-mode rear axle.

Something makes me think that with an integral transmission/axle there isn't flexibility to add the components for a turf-mode edition.

Am I missing something?

Pirate

·
Registered
23 Posts
This will probably sound completely nuts, but when I was a kid back in late 70's I had a couple of 4x4 trucks. big thing back then was lock out hubs, I have no idea at this point what the rear hubs look like, but would something like that be possible?

Or possibly a set of wheel spacers that one could have a freewheeling bearing, 90% of the time I don't need posi.

I know i'm probably just dreaming, but like Firebird93 I like my blue General and don't really want to start over!

PS. Go easy on me, sometimes great answers come from dumb questions

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Yes there is such a thing have built a few jeeps with lockouts in the rear. but I don't think it would be a easy task on the General with the way they are not imposable but not easy! or cheap!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Soooooo what your saying is "there is a chance"

As much as I use mine for non off road uses I would almost be willing to put in a free wheeling hub on one rear axle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have driven a RZR with one rear axle removed and that is not a workable situation for general use. It pulls to one side on acceleration and pulls the other direction when you slow down. About the only thing it is good for is helping to get the vehicle back to the truck to get it repaired.

Your transaxle can be converted to turf mode but the cases have to be split and the solenoid side either machined or replaced with one that is aready machined and then the turf mode differential and shifter parts and solenoid and control box and wiring and switch added and possibly the ecu replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, scratch that idea:(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes there is such a thing have built a few jeeps with lockouts in the rear. but I don't think it would be a easy task on the General with the way they are not imposable but not easy! or cheap!
You would need a full floater rear end on a jeep to do rear locking hubs. You would need some serious $$$ and machining to do it on the general.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts