Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbo swap can be done
Earlier this year I did the super single reverse chain for a piece of mind. Rode it for about 2 months. Went on 3 park ride for vacation in April. Within the first mile of the ride I was backing out easy and my snorkel gear broke. I had to borrow my buddy's rzr to finish up my trip. Made a few rides and was doing good. I upgraded my sprague and it would lock in 4wd on its own, well fell in a deep hole, took it out of 4wd and started backing up and it locked in and this time it blew the side out the transmission. Well now it has the 16 model turbo trans in it. There is some mods you have to do but it can be done. I put 50 miles on it this past weekend and it done good. I will post pics of the mod soon, I don't have good service where I live.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Excellent work. More detailed right up would be great should other feel the need. I have had my gear case out twice and if it happens again this would be on my list. Actually I have thought about it but just not around the turbo to see the difference other then the output for front prop. Did you stay with G clutches or switch to turbo? Guess what I am asking is the input shaft on gear case same as the G?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent work. More detailed right up would be great should other feel the need. I have had my gear case out twice and if it happens again this would be on my list. Actually I have thought about it but just not around the turbo to see the difference other then the output for front prop. Did you stay with G clutches or switch to turbo? Guess what I am asking is the input shaft on gear case same as the G?

You will need the turbo clutches. It definitely is a tight fit but it will go. If anyone decides they want to do this you will need to buy the trans mount for the turbo trans both front and rear. You will also have to fan brackets for the engine unless you have the one with the tabs already in the cast. If you are lucky enough to have that motor then u may just have to drill and tap the hole. The rear trans mount from the general you will need to cut the bottom hole off and drill the hole.to fit the turbo trans this will allow you to use your plenum. You will have to cut the intake hose from the air filter and add a 2" pvc along with a Fresno fitting to get it around the new cvt housing. I also found that it is better to get the 19 CVT housing because of the location of the inlet. I used the inlet hose from the 19 cut to fit right past the 90 coming off the box. I have the warrior snorkel and have 2 going in to the cand added a blower to go in the cvt. The exhaust side stayed where it was jus had to down size to 2" also. I used the drive shaft from the turbo also, both front and rear prop shafts. I had to drill a hole on passenger side to make the carrier bearing work but I think the superatv carrier would have fit with out doing that. Of you use both the you will need to cut the rear shaft. I measured from the inside flats of the yokes and came up with 30 14/" which will allow you to still remove your front diff without taking the rear shaft off the trans output. I also used a 16 turbo trans because I found they have a lower gear than than the 17 and up. If it wasn't for the brackets I had to make for the engine it's not as bad as some would think. If your engine has the tabs for the cvt then it's pretty much jus a bolt on and you will just a have to modify your snorkels, prop shaft, air intake at the throttle body and rear trans mount. Hope this helps I'm sure I may have forgot something but don't mind answering any questions if you have any.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’m looking at putting a turbo transmission into my RZR XP1000. I’ve got my RZR tore down and have been staring at pictures of the turbo motor, XP motor(my actual motor is in the picture) and turbo CVT inner cover.

From what I can tell, the regular 1000 block looks cast identical to the turbo block. Comparing a picture of my block to the turbo inner CVT cover, it appears it would bolt right on the block. Around the 3 small holes at the crank stub are 3 larger holes. The top right hole is already cast into my block and just needs to be tapped. And you can tell where the other two holes should be, they would just need to be drilled out and tapped.

Doesn’t seem like a difficult swap.

Looks like parts needed would be a 2016 turbo transmission or 2017+ with gear reduction installed, turbo CVT inner & outer covers, turbo clutches and belt, turbo axles.

The transmission and clutches on my RZR are in excellent shape so I could offset probably 75% of the cost to swap.

But I do have one question for you. Do you happen to remember if the center to center on the crank stub and transmission input shaft are the same on the turbo and your General? I know the turbo uses a longer belt but I’m not sure if it’s because the the two shafts are further apart or it’s because the clutches are a larger diameter.

I’m asking because if the centers are the same then the XP1000/General input shaft could be installed into the turbo transmission and you should be able to reuse your clutches.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can’t edit my post but the clutch centers for the turbo and General/RZR XP are the same at 10.5”.

If the input shafts can be swapped(they look similar on the microfiche) and General/RZR XP secondary clutch could work on the turbo transmission then that would save some hassle and money buying new clutches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am doing this on a ranger 1000 and am interested in your engine mounts if you could share any details I would appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts