Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any ideas on removing transmission plug. I've read the horror stories about them stripping out. I know for certain it is a 8mm allen but, it won't budge.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have removed a lot over tight and stripped drain for myself and others. I use what I call the brutal method. :) hammer and blunt chisel carefully rapping it in the loosen direction works often for me. I have also used a brass drift and rapped on the plug end and that works some times. I have never had to drill one out. When I go back with the steel plugs in aluminum I put anti seize on the threads and tighten to no more that 12-14 ft lbs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
take The rear skid plate off. Hit the case around the plug with a bit of propane heat for a few seconds, then quickly try budging it out.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
ERR76, help us. Is the allen detent damaged and you can get the plug out? Or is the allen detent OK, but you aren't willing to pull that hard on a wrench for fear of damaging the plug?

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sounds like it won't come out as it is too tight.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Then this is a time for a 1/4" drive impact. Something like a DeWalt or Milwaukee. Put the 8mm socket into the drain plug, Shove up as hard as you can and hit the trigger for a second or two.

Not loose? Repeat as necessary. If it still won't move...up to a larger impact. if allen socket is a good tight fit and you shove it into the drain plug and do your very best to keep things vertical...you should be able to hit it hard enough to come out...without tearing up the threads in the case.

Done it more than once with success.

Pirate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts