Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I responded to a post, the OP was a newbie, concerning metal particles on the transmission Drain & Fill/Level. I had just changed the AGL in the trans and took pics of the drain plugs for my records. Here they are:
Light Household hardware Engineering Auto part Gas

I didn't think it was too bad. But I think I should have been very concerned.
After services the lube in the Trans and Hilliard differential, loaded the General in my Mobile Garage and headed to Sand Hollow.
Got there and set up in the RV Park. The next morning we rolled out to take in the dunes and rock trails. We went through the Tunnel,
headed on to the sand...and got about 100 feet and the rear wheels buried themselves. No AWD. Got pulled out, got through the Tunnel and back to the RV.
Another post comin on the problem and the fix. But that took a day. So day #3 we headed out to do the Experience Sand Hollow trail.
Just having a blast, sand trails with curves and high banks, rolling at about 18mph. Sat the Top of the Mountain, saw Competition Hill and then headed back
to the RV. About 2/3rds of the way out...the most gawd awful noise behind me and we rolled to a stop. Checked the belt, everything looked great in the CVT!
Two fine gentlemen stopped to see if they could help. They were driving buggies, so easy to tow me out. Looking at the right side...there it is:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering

The transmission case is busted. That's what all the noise was. The noise lasted only a few seconds before we came to a stop and shut the engine off.
Found Rev6Sports and ordered one of their remanufactured transmissions. It came with the following:
Rectangle Font Circle Art Number

Sounds good to me, and why I chose them to purchase a transmission.
On to a few pics of the disaster:
Here is pics of the drain plug and fill/level plug removed after the trans was removed from the chassis and on my work bench:
Automotive tire Auto part Gas Current transformer Motor vehicle

The ball bearing on the drain plug is a pretty clear indicator of what happened. So...I went ahead and split the cases. Could only get the two halves about an inch apart.
I used a magnet and a pair of forceps and retrieved this:
Photograph White Organism Automotive tire Font

The pieces at the bottom are the bearing outer race. The smooth piece above that is a piece of the case, the bearing fit that broke off.
And some of the ball bearings and the little pieces are the ball retainers. Quite the failure wasn't it??
Kept working at it and finally got the cases separated. All the debris inside and the shaft with the failed bearing made it difficult.
Here is a pic of the inner race of the failed bearing, still on the shaft:
Tableware Silver Automotive tire Gas Font

Notice also the damage to the gear teeth when all the bearing innards went through.
And here's one more of the transmission components after the bearing failed:
Automotive tire Light Product Gear Black

And lastly a pic of the case damage. In this one you can see how much damage the failing bearing did to the pocket in the case
that, I think, the bearing is pressed into:
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Liquid Motor vehicle

I'm sitting here $4K out of pocket wondering...
Since the failure was instantaneous...how would I have known something was going wrong in the transmission?
I heard no noise up to the failure point.
I felt no vibration up to the failure point.
I don't put my hand on the transmission to see if it's getting hot.
I did see the steel slivers on the drain plugs. But have seen that at every AGL change. Perhaps it was worse at the change just before failure. But I don't take pics every time.

I have not seen, on this forum, another failure like this one. So was mine different that most other transmission failures. Like Reverse chain failure or Turf Mode failure.

I would very much appreciate others chiming in with their experiences and expertise on these transmissions!

I'm very clueless as to what allowed this to happen, how I would have recognized something was amiss.
Should one open their transmission every, say 3000 miles and inspect/replace bearings?

Pirate

·
Registered
2021 General 4 XP Ride Command
210 Posts
Great post! I just changed my fluids last weekend and was wondering if shavings were expected on the drain plug every time. I’ve got 2000 miles on my machine and this is the 3rd time I’ve changed the transmission fluid and each time there has been shavings. Does everyone see shavings every time ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Pirate,
I replied to your PM on this, the day ( April 18) after you sent it to me and you never responded.

If you are into rev6 for 4K on this, you got hosed.
I would have recommended doing your research before this purchase.

None of the Bearings are press fit, they are slip fit in the case half.
The bearing on the idler failed, galling the bearing, causing it to spin until it ate a hole in the case.

You really should check your messages, you would be way ahead.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I got your PM response. Buy I'm short for time before leaving again.
You didn't post what you can provide and even a hint at pricing.
Unfortunately I've been burned more than a couple times. So dealing with someone that talks to you about their quality workmanship, QA inspections, component quality. In my career those things were critical. In my life, they still are.
One more failure like this and I'm liable to give it up. Please don't use comments like "you got hosed". I have lots of experience, but there are lots of things I have to make a decision with little to go on. The price I paid included an $800 core charge.
Stuart

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not an idiot. I called and spoke with one of the owners. We went over everything that is included in their remanufactured transmission for the General. This is what I opted for, but only
the 12% gear reduction. All the rest are in mine.
Rectangle Font Art Circle Pattern

Pirate

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, I got your PM response. Buy I'm short for time before leaving again.
It is very possible that I could not have met your time frame.

You didn't post what you can provide and even a hint at pricing.
You are correct, I did not.
But I did however supply you with my Phone number, so you could give me a call and discuss what you would like to do with your Transaxle ( upgrades, parts used and technical information etc.), then I would be able to give you a price
I do not keep built Transaxles on the shelf, due to the expense and every customer looking for something different.
However, I do have all of the components on hand, to build one for a specific application.

Unfortunately I've been burned more than a couple times. So dealing with someone that talks to you about their quality workmanship, QA inspections, component quality. In my career those things were critical.
In my life, they still are.
One more failure like this and I'm liable to give it up. Please don't use comments like "you got hosed". I have lots of experience, but there are lots of things I have to make a decision with little to go on. The price I paid included an $800 core charge.
Stuart

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear your tranny is toast Pirate. Seems like you have the "luck" lately. From your posts...it sure seems as your really up on your maintenance....so I to am curious why that bearing failed. How many miles are on this machine? Anybody know why that would fail? Is it a weak point in these? Are the newer trannys built the same...same bearings?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know TMR XP4 the luck I've had the last three years is almost enough to make me quit the sport. Just unbelievable. I don't abuse my General no jumping, have no idea how fast it will really go,
stay out of the water and mud. After this experience I'll stay out of the sand. The sand issue is because the Sand Hollow sand is very fine. Mix that that with 42oz of AGL and the lube being splattered everywhere as it comes out of the busted case and you have an incredible mess. I taped over the broken case section. Used my Ryobi pressure washer and tried to get all of the stuff off.
Well, you take the trans out, and guess what a whole lot more places that mix splattered. So down to bare chassis, I spent another day getting it cleaned up.
Keep up with maintenance more often that Polaris recommends.
Wife despises what I become when something major breaks and the trip is shot, two days in.

Hopefully the two week trip to the Black Hills will go well. We leave on June 1st and I hope I have everything put together and tested in the OHV areas not far North of the place.
Pirate

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pirate - Am I all wet, or does the same fluid travel through the transmission and rear differential? I drained my fluid at the bottom of the transmission, and refilled it at the back of the differential. So did metal particles travel to your differential? Please straighten me out.

·
Vendor
508 Posts
That sucks @Pirate . I've seen more of the same bearing issues over in the RZR Forums...but likely just because the massive number of RZR's compared to Generals. It happens, but its not a common issue. Just an unlucky bearing failure. It probably had nothing to do with the sand...and you definitely keep your stuff very well maintained...so that's not it. Just unlucky. Sorry it happened to you, and don't let it discourage you. The new trans will be solid after all the upgrades.

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
840 Posts
Pirate - Am I all wet, or does the same fluid travel through the transmission and rear differential? I drained my fluid at the bottom of the transmission, and refilled it at the back of the differential. So did metal particles travel to your differential? Please straighten me out.
Yes the trans/diff are all in one and share the same fluid...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup all one assembly. I have found it a little odd that the splines in the case where the axles go were rusty. I would have thought there was enough AGL splashing around to keep them wet.
But the Turner Cycles Nitro axles have clip ring that is tight...I mean tight. I have to have wife, er BOSS, help me get axles out. She holds a pry bar between axle and trans, while I do the shove in and pull out routine. so perhaps AGL doesn't get past the clip ring?
Pirate

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Purchased the SDI alignment tool set. Having a heck of a time. Nudging things around I can get the first bar almost all the way on the engine tube, that's equivalent to about half way on the transmission tube. At this point I can rotate the transmission tube freely. Any more and the transmission tube won't turn.
Wondering if its because the bar is not square on the engine and transmission tube. Should I just go ahead, and like the SDI video, just use the dead blow hammer and drive it on?
What if the transmission tube won't turn at all?

Talked to Jason at SDI twice this afternoon and will be calling in the morning. Killing me to have spent an entire day getting this far. The engine tube does not work with a Duraclutch bolt. So had to make a spacer on the lathe so that the bolt doesn't just drop through.

I think, I think, when I get the alignment done and transmission and engine bolts torqued...it's going to be a lot easier to complete reassembly.

Any thoughts on this?
TIA
Pirate

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
@Pirate
How many miles and hours were on your machine when this ordeal happened?

·
Registered
2021 G4 XP Deluxe
127 Posts
Purchased the SDI alignment tool set. Having a heck of a time. Nudging things around I can get the first bar almost all the way on the engine tube, that's equivalent to about half way on the transmission tube. At this point I can rotate the transmission tube freely. Any more and the transmission tube won't turn.
Wondering if its because the bar is not square on the engine and transmission tube. Should I just go ahead, and like the SDI video, just use the dead blow hammer and drive it on?
What if the transmission tube won't turn at all?

Talked to Jason at SDI twice this afternoon and will be calling in the morning. Killing me to have spent an entire day getting this far. The engine tube does not work with a Duraclutch bolt. So had to make a spacer on the lathe so that the bolt doesn't just drop through.

I think, I think, when I get the alignment done and transmission and engine bolts torqued...it's going to be a lot easier to complete reassembly.

Any thoughts on this?
TIA
Pirate
Pirate, I am not sure about using a dead blow hammer to force the alignment tool into place. I have no experience with the SDI tool but do have experience with the Hunterworks alignment tool. I put all the transmission mounting bolts in place but loose enough that I can still shift it around until the alignment tool goes into place then tighten all bolts and remove alignment tool. If your tool is starting on but not falling all the way into position then your engine and trans shafts are likely not square with each other which could cause clutch and belt alignment issues. The beauty about the Hunterworks tool is it does not require the use of bolts and is a go/no-go so it would be difficult to be misaligned once the tool is in place. I know that's not the tool you have but sharing that piece for others who may be in need.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yup all one assembly. I have found it a little odd that the splines in the case where the axles go were rusty. I would have thought there was enough AGL splashing around to keep them wet.
But the Turner Cycles Nitro axles have clip ring that is tight...I mean tight. I have to have wife, er BOSS, help me get axles out. She holds a pry bar between axle and trans, while I do the shove in and pull out routine. so perhaps AGL doesn't get past the clip ring?
Pirate
The AGL doesn’t even enter into the splined bore on a spool.
Only water and Dirt, hence the rust.
And prying against the case is not a good idea.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts