Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General 1000
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2021 General sport.(y)
I am a kind of guy where i cannot leave things stock.
Items I have purchased thus far.
3inch Super ATV lift
Polaris Roof
14in alum HD rims
30x10x14 Carnivore's
Polaris Winch
Stereo and door speakers.
Polaris front bumper
Polaris Kick out rock sliders
all installed in the last 4 weeks.
Now will be selling my rims and tires and lift. going different direction. all the items have under 60kms lol my bad.
converting to a trailing arm set up with rzr xp 1000 front and rear suspension.
purchased 32x8.5x18 motohavoks, now waiting on buying all the parts to convert. dont think my warranty will be good anymore lol :devilish:
has anyone here done the conversion? and kept the sway bars? please send me pics of sway bar ideas thanks.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
I've never seen this conversion. Do you have any pics for reference? It would be the same as a RZR 1000S/900S? I'm curious now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen this conversion. Do you have any pics for reference? It would be the same as a RZR 1000S/900S? I'm curious now...
Would be the same as a xp1000 rzr.
Will have pics and build on here soon enough. All stock suspension will be tossed and new xp1000 set up will be on this rig. Will post pics with progress.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
I meant the conversion to XP would be similar or the same as the 1000S/900S conversion to XP. Since those 2 machines have nearly identical suspension to the General. However, I don't know how you would mount the trailing arms in the rear with radius rods and such. I didn't know if you had actually seen this done before. I know some Rzr guys have swapped RZR1KXP front suspension to the 900/1000s machines. I haven't seen the rear done. Just looking for some reference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant the conversion to XP would be similar or the same as the 1000S/900S conversion to XP. Since those 2 machines have nearly identical suspension to the General. However, I don't know how you would mount the trailing arms in the rear with radius rods and such. I didn't know if you had actually seen this done before. I know some Rzr guys have swapped RZR1KXP front suspension to the 900/1000s machines. I haven't seen the rear done. Just looking for some reference.
So the front will bolt right up. Shocks you will need a super atv bracket lift for the shocks, rear is a custom fab job. Brand new 2021 going under the knife.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Will be interesting watching this and see how much is involved in the switch-over.

·
Registered
20 G2 XP RC
811 Posts
Searched but could not find any info on this. Interested to see how it turns out, if you do it.
One question. Wouldn't this suspension conversion decrease the bed payload and towing capacity? This may not be of concern to you if going for a more sporty ride but curious none the less.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Searched but could not find any info on this. Interested to see how it turns out, if you do it.
One question. Wouldn't this suspension conversion decrease the bed payload and towing capacity? This may not be of concern to you if going for a more sporty ride but curious none the less.
Depending on how you set it up. If you put the oem shocks in. More then likely you will reuse your upper shock mount. In that case your payload will not differ by much. I am going with a arched forward shock roughly 55-63 degree angle. Using a rzr xp walker evans shocks. This will make the ride smoother then stock, and give it that agressive look. I have already purchased brand new walker evans shocks, and bigger tires

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stock General rides nice. But thats it. Does not ride great. With xp suspension it will ride plush. And soft. Soak up the bumps. This is going to be a costly build. Not for everyone. Why didnt you just buy a rzr xp... right!! Because I am not the person to ride anything stock. Buy it and then build it because no one makes it. Will post pics of parts and update on build.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Seen it done on rzr s models im interested to see how a general will look.. personally not for me tho.. my dad has an xp1000 and on steep sharp climbs his extra length and trailing arms will hang him up if he crests slowly where as i can crawl up and over he has to hit it a bit harder to be able to pull up and over the ledge. But that being said. Its all how you are going to use this machine. And plus im betting its gunna look pretty bad ass

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starting to collect parts for the build. Buy all the expensive stuff first. Lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More parts arrived today!!
just take my money lol. All these parts are being stripped, sandblasted, getting new bearings,bushings,balljoints, bolts and nuts,
undecided on what color to powder coat all items. Just not sure what theme we want to do. Cage will be chopped and fabricated aswell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have had alot of People ask alot of questions about why I would do this, and why a new machine.
when the machine is new bolts and nuts come off alot easier. and things are alot cleaner to weld onto.
why am I doing this? This is simple, Have you ever driven a XP RZR? they drive plush and soft.
This is a away to make the G have that feel. There is a lot more to come yet Boys and Girls!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2022 Xp 4
13 Posts
I have had alot of People ask alot of questions about why I would do this, and why a new machine.
when the machine is new bolts and nuts come off alot easier. and things are alot cleaner to weld onto.
Plus there is no better feeling then cutting up a brand new perfectly functioning machine , to make it what you want . I've built 3 Toyotas and 5 Jeeps . And none of them lasted a week at my house before they went under the knife :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts