Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wading through all the threads on upper doors. There are not many options for the General 4. It seems like the Polaris OEM might be the best option. My question is for those who have the Polaris upper doors, do you have to do anything special to them when trailering to keep them from flapping or coming off? I have a flatbed (open) trailer. I hate buying things that I can't see beforehand. No dealers have any doors in stock and I can't seem to get a clear answer on the quality of the frame so thought I'd ask the question here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The canvas uppers provided by Polaris are very high quality, on equal to those seen on CJ jeeps and the like, with optically clear plastic windows and a very sturdy steel frame that mounts (with some effort if you do it yourself) to your factory half-doors. If properly fitted to your Polaris, towing while on a trailer wouldn’t subject them to any more wind than would you driving the Polaris at speed. Though we haven’t had any issue towing ours at highway speeds, if I were concerned I’d probably use a nylon friction strap and give the cab a burrito wrap for some extra protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 rc
87 Posts
The Polaris oem upper doors also have a Velcro strap at the top, if your concerned you can fasten prior to towing. Takes a little effort, fasten passenger side then leave driver side window unzipped slightly at strap location, close door and reach thru window fasten driver strap then carefully zip window shut. I did this the first couple of times then realized it was unnecessary. I have been towing mine at 80 mph thru Utah for a year every weekend with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Polaris oem upper doors also have a Velcro strap at the top, if your concerned you can fasten prior to towing. Takes a little effort, fasten passenger side then leave driver side window unzipped slightly at strap location, close door and reach thru window fasten driver strap then carefully zip window shut. I did this the first couple of times then realized it was unnecessary. I have been towing mine at 80 mph thru Utah for a year every weekend with no problems whatsoever.
Thats exactly what I do also. Even though I dont think they would come off I dont want to take the chance. My velcro is starting to show a little wear though. These things were hard enough to get in the first place trying to relace one, I think would be near impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The canvas uppers provided by Polaris are very high quality, on equal to those seen on CJ jeeps and the like, with optically clear plastic windows and a very sturdy steel frame that mounts (with some effort if you do it yourself) to your factory half-doors. If properly fitted to your Polaris, towing while on a trailer wouldn’t subject them to any more wind than would you driving the Polaris at speed. Though we haven’t had any issue towing ours at highway speeds, if I were concerned I’d probably use a nylon friction strap and give the cab a burrito wrap for some extra protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response, but trails in my area don't allow me to go 70 plus like on a freeway. I am glad to hear they are good quality and from yours and other's comments seems like it will be a non-issue on an open trailer.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Mine seem to pull out a little while trailering, so the first time I had to stop at the Lowe's 10 miles up the road and buy a strap which I put around the entire vehicle.

Then someone suggested using a bungee cord. So I did that and it worked. I ran it from one front door strap through the passenger handle on the console and back to the other door strap. Holds them in tight, but you can still open the door to unhook it.

The doors work very well out on the trail.

Reactions: Cal

·
Registered
Super Graphite 2021 XP 1000 Deluxe with RC
148 Posts
I leave my zippers unzipped far enough to reach in and undo the straps. I also trailer it that way. If I have a strong side wind I might leave the downwind zipper open a little more.

·
Registered
'18 Ride Command
7 Posts
I've been wading through all the threads on upper doors. There are not many options for the General 4. It seems like the Polaris OEM might be the best option. My question is for those who have the Polaris upper doors, do you have to do anything special to them when trailering to keep them from flapping or coming off? I have a flatbed (open) trailer. I hate buying things that I can't see beforehand. No dealers have any doors in stock and I can't seem to get a clear answer on the quality of the frame so thought I'd ask the question here.
take a long soft bungie...tie knot in middle to you get desired length...hook through upper velcro strap on passenger door while shut tight...crack driver door enough to attach stretched bungie and you are closed tight with no fluddering or open window.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Never had a problem with my uppers. I do however back my General on my trailer for better weight distribution. It gets a little windy crossing the Baja peninsula in the high desert midway across but never an issue.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best solution is to take pallet plastic wrap and go around the cab 4-5 times. This stuff keeps the back and front windows safe from rocks/debris and the door uppers from wind, especially if you are in the WV mountains on the 70 MPH interstates.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Polaris General Cover. That keeps everything inside and most of those not too honest out. Well out of sight out of mind. But if you get one, and you have mirrors, make sure you get folding back type. I didn't, I have the small Tusk mirrors and it just fits, but makes it a little tougher slipping it on.

Font Parallel Pattern Auto part Rectangle

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General
23 Posts
I have a Polaris General Cover. That keeps everything inside and most of those not too honest out. Well out of sight out of mind. But if you get one, and you have mirrors, make sure you get folding back type. I didn't, I have the small Tusk mirrors and it just fits, but makes it a little tougher slipping it on.

View attachment 73163
Are you towing with the cover on? If so, how has that been going? I have the same cover but have been somewhat leery of towing with it on.....Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts