Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I scored this cute little trailer to tow behind my General yesterday. I think it'll be great for camping and possibly ice fishing. (or I can load it with beer & ice and go visiting! lol!) It's in really nice shape and is a quality manufactured trailer but good lord someone who despised prep work painted the little cubby black. When I got it home, I power washed it and even more of the paint just blew off. I spent today sanding, degreasing, masking and painting. It's always a huge amount of prep to paint plastic but if you want it to look nice, and last, it's necessary. Had it not been painted previously, I probably would have flame treated it just to be on the safe side, but I think my prep will be ok.

I decided to take styling cues from my General and paint it black, charcoal, and orange. The shape of the "graphic" mimics where the door meets the window and the front area that's not finished yet in the pic will be orange like my hood and I mimicked the shape there, too. I will also be adding some orange accent stripes as the General has and I'll cut some General decals to match, too. I'll post pics when it's finished but I ran out of time today. Hopefully, I'll have it done tomorrow.

I just love the adorable baby moon hubcaps!

Pics or it didn't happen! Lol!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better fashion some mud flaps for the General or it won’t stay looking that nice for long. Cool project, good job!
You're so right. I think I'd have to weld up a steel support bar to keep them from ending up in front of the tire since they'd be so long. I might try 3M clear paint protection film on the front of the trailer & see if that holds up. I've got that on the sills of my black GMC AT4 truck & its super durable. It's worth a shot, anyhow.

Maybe I'll look into a set of wheels. :unsure: That really would be cute! I can't imagine they make an adapter for this little bitty 8 inch, 4 lug to the general wheel, but I bet they'd fit in the wheel well, though! lol!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol! I'm more of a boring ground rider. I leave the flight to the RZR weirdos! :ROFLMAO:

So here's today's progress. I painted both wheels and the spare, polished the baby moons, pinstriped the spare with orange paint, cut and installed some decals, painted the front orange graphic and put some indoor/outdoor carpet in the cubby along with new weather seal and a push light.

I'm ordering some reflective orange pinstriping to finish off the look.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Holy buckets TT you did a fantastic job redoing that trailer. Congrats to you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes! Definitely ready for showing off now! Ha!

Well, I discovered that there were taillights under the reflective tape on the frame. There were also taillights (that I don't like) on the fenders that weren't even wired in. The problem with the recessed ones in the frame is that they had one broken lens and they were both painted black. I looked up the model number on the lens, which is obsolete but crosses over to a Grote light. Unfortunately, I can't buy just the lenses, I'd have to buy each light assembly individually to the tune of about $40 a piece, plus shipping. I don't know about you, but 80 clams for 2 taillight lenses is a little out of my realm of reality. I'm not going to pay that.

So, being the ever-resourceful geek I am, I kickstarted my micrometer and CAD program & modeled my own lenses and 3D printed them instead. It cost me a whopping $0. My kinda bargain! :LOL: Since I haven't got transparent red filament, I printed them in standard red but I designed them with a thinner base layer so the lights shine through. I'll order some transparent red at some point, but this is more than adequate for now. I also replaced the incandescent bulbs with low profile COB LEDs I had in stock (yep, I have a stock of those kinds of things; more geekery :geek: ).

Pics or I'm just a gas-bag!

Lights off:

Taillight:

Brake light:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you! :)
I took it for the first spin this evening! Everywhere I went, people asked me about it or pointed & smiled! lol! It pulls great even though the leaf springs are probably totally overkill. I think, if it'd fit, that little trailer could easily haul a rhinoceros! lol! It looks so cute all together! I love it.
I'm just waiting for the pigtails I ordered for the trailer lighting. It's the type that simply plug into the taillight connector. I could have just soldered into the wires, but these were so inexpensive and easy, why not. Once I've got those, the trailer lights will work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts