Polaris General Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like the two KeniMoto boxes I have. They are almost identical to the Kolpin designs. These have a great seal and prevents water from getting in, plus, they are very easily removed if needed. You can also padlock them as well if you so desire. Still plenty of room for a cooler in between.
View attachment 66186
View attachment 66187
Can you measure the distance between the two boxes at the top and bottom? I wanted to ensure my cooler fits between them if I switch to these. Also do the boxes sit on the floor of the bed or hang above it a little?

Thank you,

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will measure when I get home. They do not quite touch the bottom of the bed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
How did you mount those? I have the headache rack like you do. I see you're not using the fold down shelf. I like the idea of having floor space in the bed. There's a company that makes brackets to use those in a RZR. My friend uses them in his 1000xp. He has a taller box and one of the short ones like you have. He locks the short one on top the deep one. He carries everything but the kitchen sink in there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I welded up a frame with 3/4" tubing with four tabs drilled out, and then used the four lock n ride flip tabs to hold the frame down. Then just bolted the the boxes onto the frame, they fit perfectly in between the headache rack bars.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Any idea if the new design, that sits along the front of the bed...will two of them fit?

Thx,

Pirate

·
Registered
87 Posts
DEBATE... realistically Why do guys carry fire extinguishers?

1) It is a definite explosion hazard when an accident or rollover occurs.
2) It adds weight
3) With the amount of plastic and 10 gallon of fuel on the G if it catches fire your not putting it out with a small bottle anyway.
4) Why not Let it burn to the ground claim a complete loss with insurance
5) what are the chances of putting out a small fire and being able to continue the day riding?

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts

2) It adds weight
3) With the amount of plastic and 10 gallon of fuel on the G if it catches fire your not putting it out with a small bottle anyway.
5) what are the chances of putting out a small fire and being able to continue the day riding?
Weight? really : )
Perhaps needed to help somebody else out.
Perhaps stop a small wild lands fire sparked because somebody else parked on top of dried grass or leaves.
Just because an old geezer !

·
Registered
458 Posts
Why carry fire extinguisher:
1) If you roll over and knock the head off of it ( Well it’s just not your day)
2) Just have to remove a couple Adult beverages from the cooler (for those that carry them) I don’t drink so I guess it will be less snacks.
3) That little fire extinguisher will put out a bigger fire than you think
4) Because you never get back what you have into it (deprecation)
5) you can help someone else out
6). It kind of looks cool strapped back there
7) you don’t know your going to need it until you need it and wish you had it

·
Registered
87 Posts
A proper DEBATE !!! Thanks !!! not sure you changed my opinion but I understand your points. and FYI no chance of removing adult beverages in place of an extinguisher.......

·
Registered
687 Posts
Which headache rack is that?
Polaris lock and ride.

2) It adds weight
1. Will a fire extinguisher explode? Or just spray it's contents. I try to mount them where they are protected, but accessable.
2. Hahaha... not enough to worry about compared to my cargo and other accessories. I'm not racing.
3. A little can go a long way. Especially the foam stuff.
4. That's not how I was raised. Put it out before it's too far and fix it. I try not to have to make insurance claims. My rates are too high as is.
5. Maybe not ride the same day but be able to another day. Also stop it from spreading and causing a catastrophe to surrounding areas.

Depending where you ride, sometimes it can be a small bundle of grass against an exhaust catch fire. You put it out quick and keep going. Polaris RZR turbos were catching fire quite frequently a few years back. Put a lot of people on edge about Polaris across the board. That's a lot of the motivation behind a fire extinguisher, in my opinion.

Who knows, I could lose a wheel bearing on the trailer and have a fire while hauling the General. Extinguisher would be handy then.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you measure the distance between the two boxes at the top and bottom? I wanted to ensure my cooler fits between them if I switch to these. Also do the boxes sit on the floor of the bed or hang above it a little?

Thank you,
They are 24" apart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mounted my Fire Ext inside the Cab below the Rear Window between the seats. Easily accessible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well this thread has had me thinking a bit. Especially regarding the fire extinguishers and why folks might or might not carry. Well what has me thinking is, I was expecting a glowing list of reasons to carry a fire extinguisher along with all sorts of other on the trail emergency needs. That list did not come and it is a bit worrisome. Why? Well didn't anybody else find it concerning that Baja Charlie did not pipe up on the merits of a fire extinguisher? Living here in San Diego County it is known Mexico has been getting hit pretty hard again with regards to Covid. About the last we heard from BC was a trip down to San Quintin a few weeks ago and nothing in awhile. SO was just wondering if anybody has heard from him. His radio silence is about as long as I remember since my short presence here. Hope he and his wife are ok! AS well as everybody else. I went from not knowing anybody having Covid to knowing 2. MY son and his Wife in Arizona ,where it was discovered they had it after the birth of their twins while they were still in the hospital ! DOH! But all is well and the twins will be home with parents tomorrow after they were released to friends at the beginning of the week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well this thread has had me thinking a bit. Especially regarding the fire extinguishers and why folks might or might not carry. Well what has me thinking is, I was expecting a glowing list of reasons to carry a fire extinguisher along with all sorts of other on the trail emergency needs. That list did not come and it is a bit worrisome. Why? Well didn't anybody else find it concerning that Baja Charlie did not pipe up on the merits of a fire extinguisher? Living here in San Diego County it is known Mexico has been getting hit pretty hard again with regards to Covid. About the last we heard from BC was a trip down to San Quintin a few weeks ago and nothing in awhile. SO was just wondering if anybody has heard from him. His radio silence is about as long as I remember since my short presence here. Hope he and his wife are ok! AS well as everybody else. I went from not knowing anybody having Covid to knowing 2. MY son and his Wife in Arizona ,where it was discovered they had it after the birth of their twins while they were still in the hospital ! DOH! But all is well and the twins will be home with parents tomorrow after they were released to friends at the beginning of the week.
He just posted on another thread.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts