Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything is fine now but I have 30x10r14 and Elka stage 3s coming. I can’t seem to fully understand the instructions for measuring and adjusting toe and would like to not have to pay $100 for the shop to do it. Can anyone explain how to measure and adjust in very basic terms?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I for the life of me couldn't get a set point to measure. So i just put the steering wheel straight and then went in the back of the machine and looked at each front wheel from about 5-10 behind each side of the machine.
Then after i got done i thought it looked pretty straight. I then said out loud, " close enough for who it's for ". And it is!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Checking and setting toe-in, or in this case, toe-out, is quite simple and something that should be checked on a regular basis. The spec is 1/6'" Toe-out.
Here is how I do it.
First off, you will need something to use as a straight edge. I purchased 2 U shaped wall brackets for hanging wire shelving. The ones I bought are KV 80 ANO 36. They are 36" long and about 1/2" wide. I picked these because they will maintain a straight edge throughout the toe setting process.
Next, prep the machine for setting the toe-out.
Drive the machine onto a reasonably flat surface. Don't jack up the machine for other repairs then drop it drop and procede to set toe. The ride height will be lightly higher and the tires will want to squirm sideways as the suspension settles back down.
This is true for automotive applications also, but we use alignment plates under the tires to allow the tires to settle and slide sideways.
Next, using bungee cords that go through the wheels and hook to something on the inside of the wheel. (cast wheels will be easier than steel wheels), attach an approximately 36" straight edge of your choice to the outside of the tire on each side. You will find that you need to bungee the the straight edge as low and level as you can to allow a line on sight from one side of the machine to the other under the frame in front and behind the front tire.
Next, with the wheels facing as straight forward as possible, run a tape measure under the machine and from one side to the other, hooking the end of the tape measure on the straight edge on the opposite side that you are on. (It might be easier with two people). Do this in front of the wheel and behind the wheel. Compare the readings.
What you want is 1/16" - 1 1/8" toe-out meaning that the reading in front of the wheel needs to be slightly longer than the reading behind the front wheel.
If the toe- in is outside of this spec, you need to loosen up the outer tie rod jamb nut and adjust the tie rod to obtain proper toe-out. FYI, the outer tie rods have left hand threads on both sides so lefty loosey, righty tighty is just the opposite.
You want to pick the side to adjust to end up with the steering wheel straight when you are done.
It sounds complicated, but once you've done it a few times it will make sense and be easier.
When I bought my '19 General I checked toe-out on a brand new machine, it was 1 1/2" toe- IN! You can only imagine how the machine handled. I called the dealership on it, they claimed it wasn't on the PDI sheet. BS, its right on the first page, that the tech signed off on. I didn't bother pursuing the point, I would have double checked their work when I got it back anyway!

Even if you don't feel comfortable setting toe-in, at least learn how to check it yourself. Then if out of spec have a UTV tech set it up for you.
I check mine after a few rough trail rides to make sure nothing got tweaked when attacking the trails.
Having the toe-out out of spec won't affect handling off trail that much, but the machine get real squirrely at speed on black top or hardpacked fire roads.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’m no expert so I just used the method shown in the service manual. It was easy breezy.
1. Set wheels and steering wheel straight
2. Put a caulk mark on front side of the tires about ten inches up from floor
3. Take measurement between caulk marks and call that measurement “2”
4. Move General so tires rotate 180 and caulk marks are now facing rear
5. Put a caulk mark on the now front facing tires about ten inches up from floor
5. Repeat #3 but call that “3”
6. Subtract measurement #2 from measurement #3. The difference should be per Polaris tolerances 1/8” to 3/16”
If you’re off, loosen tie rod jam nut and adjust it accordingly. Re-torque jam nut to 14ft-lbs
This is strictly a Baja Charlie fix, no animals were harmed, just a couple of skinned knuckles.
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m no expert so I just used the method shown in the service manual. It was easy breezy.
1. Set wheels and steering wheel straight
2. Put a caulk mark on front side of the tires about ten inches up from floor
3. Take measurement between caulk marks and call that measurement “2”
4. Move General so tires rotate 180 and caulk marks are now facing rear
5. Put a caulk mark on the now front facing tires about ten inches up from floor
5. Repeat #3 but call that “3”
6. Subtract measurement #2 from measurement #3. The difference should be per Polaris tolerances 1/8” to 3/16”
If you’re off, loosen tie rod jam nut and adjust it accordingly. Re-torque jam nut to 14ft-lbs
This is strictly a Baja Charlie fix, no animals were harmed, just a couple of skinned knuckles.
Cheers Baja Charlie
Beautiful! I can follow that.
what about setting ride height? I’m moving from 26 in tires to 30 but they measure 29 Iv read. Do I then just add the 3 inch to Polaris spec of 12 inch clearance? So I’d be working with 15inches front and rear?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If you are going from a 26” height tire to a 29” height tire you only gain half which would be 1-1/2” more height.
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
104 Posts
When attaching a straight edge to the outter tire and Depending on where your measure points are will give you a differenet result of course. Baja i have also read that procrss in the manual and dont get it. Chalk a line and measure from where? Maybe the 1/16 of a inch should be measured between the back of the rims and the front of the rim on a 14 inch rim ?

·
Registered
2019 G4
39 Posts
To do mine I bought toe plates from summit racing. I think they were like 50 bucks and will give you a pretty **** accurate measurement. Plus it adds to my collection of tools

·
Registered
220 Posts
^^^^This^^^^^^^
I bought a set of toe plates and love them. The readings are repeatable, and accurate.
Using two identical tape measures, one in front and one in the back at the same time is sooo easy.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Do either of or both of you have links to where and what you bought for toe plates?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Do either of or both of you have links to where and what you bought for toe plates?
Thanks!
I used a couple jack stands and some string, super easy. If you watch my portal install video, at the end of the video I use this method, easy peasy

Portal Install

1 - 16 of 16 Posts