Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding yesterday and when I went out this morning I had 2 flat tires. I took both tires off and put them in a tub of water and found one hole in each. Looks like a nail hole in each tire. They are Sedona Rip Saw radial tires and I’m looking for suggestions on whether I should just plug the holes, use a plug/patch combo or put a patch and a tube in each tire ? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2022 XP4 TE
114 Posts
Where are the punctures? I don't see a need to tube if just a nail hole. Obviously plug/patch combo is ideal but I've never bothered with SXS tires. All my tires have multiple plugs in them and unless its a large gash, my success rate is 100% long term. They always hold air. Brand of tire plugs and temp when you install them are critical. I've had the best luck with safety seal brand and its all i use now. Too many don't have enough stick to them. Run the reamer through the hole a couple times then get a good set on the plug.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
I had nothing but bad luck with the Sedona Ripsaw tires. I have mushroom patches that you pull from the inside out like a plug, but they're a patch too. Very good fix.

Amazon.com: Lenmumu 6MM Tyre Repair Plug Patch and Tire Repair Stitcher, Tire Repair Tool Kits for Auto Car Motorcycle Bike Bicycle Scooter (24 Pcs Tire Patches + 1 Tire Repair Stitcher) : Automotive

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The holes are in the middle of the tire but not through the lug. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
21 xp, full cab, 32"progrip k9 tires, emp front bumper and bad dawg rear bumper.
131 Posts
Plug it and go. Never needed to put a patch on any atv tires. Heck, i just plugged the wifes durango tire last week. Plugs work if the hole Is small enough.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Every tire manufacturer agrees that plugging a tire for long term is not recommended. For a nail hole, there is no substantial damage to the carcass of the tire, so just a patch inside the tire is the way to go. If y ou don't know how to properly patch a tire, just take it to a tire dealer, and make sure that the tech lets the glue dry ALL THE WAY before applying the patch. If you have a rock cut, there is damage to the carcass, which can travel if not rounded out. In that case, you need to ream out the injury, and install the proper size of plug, in addition to a patch on the inside, centered over the injury. These are permanent, approved methods of repairing a tire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The tire shops here won't do a patch on an atv tire, they'll only plug it. I've never had an issue with plugs, so now carry the "tire plugger kit".

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I have used just plugs for the last 30 or more years on all our tires, atv, utv, pickup, car, trailer. Never had any problems after plugging.
I wont mess with a tire if it is on the sidewall though. Maybe plug to make it home and then get a new tire is sidewall is damaged.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn’t have a plug kit and couldn’t find one locally where I live so I stopped at 3 garages and a atv shop and all of them said they wouldn’t plug a utv tire because they never hold. Said if the hole is small enough they would put a tube in it. Guess I’ll have to order a plug kit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I didn’t have a plug kit and couldn’t find one locally where I live so I stopped at 3 garages and a atv shop and all of them said they wouldn’t plug a utv tire because they never hold. Said if the hole is small enough they would put a tube in it. Guess I’ll have to order a plug kit.
Wow!! Thats ridiculous our shop plugs probably 5 tires a week with just regular plugs and never once in 35 years of service have we had a come back.. quads trucks cars tractors you name it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I even explained to them they were radial tires just like a truck tire and the atv shop said they are still a softer tire and never hold.

·
Registered
Pending... But looking at the General XP 4 1000 Factory Edition
79 Posts
I would call BS as well, been using them out hunting on my truck, trailer and UTV's for years with no issues. Even used 4 to plug one hole and drove 70 miles to the shop. Order a kit online, cant go wrong.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What???? You can’t plug an UTV or ATV tire???? I guess I should call the guy I sold my Honda Rincon 650 to and warn him that the Maxxis Cerros tires on the quad that I sold him six years ago need to be replaced because they had SEVEN tire plugs in them and some dumba_ _ at a ATV shop says they’re no good.
Don’t come to Baja without a tire plug kit!!!!! And please don’t bring the dumba_ _ from the ATV shop down for the big race this weekend, he might get car sick. (Baja 400.. go go go Rob Mac!!!!)

Cheers Baja Charlie

PS I currently have two tire plugs in my Tensors and they both hold air JUST FINE......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I worked at a Ford garage when I was younger and the Tech tire guy drove around with 50 plugs in his front tire just to show durable and safe they were. Maybe everyone is just getting to lazy to work anymore

·
Registered
21 xp, full cab, 32"progrip k9 tires, emp front bumper and bad dawg rear bumper.
131 Posts
Id almost agree about being lazy but, a plug is less work than getting a whole new tire, which maybe they wanna sell, or even a new tube. Basically plugs dont make them money.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I worked at a Ford garage when I was younger and the Tech tire guy drove around with 50 plugs in his front tire just to show durable and safe they were. Maybe everyone is just getting to lazy to work anymore
Our tire rep that sells us plugs and valve stems ex.... has 5 holes purposely drilled in the sidewall of his vans rear tire.. all with their brand of plugs... still holds air no blow outs yet... its not recommended on sidewalls but guess what they hold...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts