Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe RC
150 Posts
Depends. With very low pressure the tire can deflect enough on a bump for the rim to pinch and cut the tire, or possibly damage the wheel if the tire deflects enough for the rim to impact the ground or a rock. With high pressure the tire won't deflect as much so it could be easier for a nail or something sharp to poke a hole it it.

· Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
5,022 Posts
Interesting video. But...I've been running 7.75 psi in all tires since I bought the RZR800 in Sept 2008 and the General up to today.
I have gotten alongside a sharp rock and slit sidewall twice. But both times I was able to use plugs to seal the tire. Fill it to 7.75 psi
and ride all day. I did wind up replacing the tire soon. But I'm not sure how much the lower air pressure played, looking at the rock that
slit the tire.
But I really like the ride with the lower air pressure. So I run it all the time, everywhere I ride.
Pirate

· Registered
2022 General XP4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reason asked is I was riding around 20 psi for first 500 miles, lowered to 12 psi and got a puncture on first ride. It was definitely a better ride at the lower pressure. The hole was so big couldn’t stop it with plugs. Fortunately, only a mile from home! Have since bought a spare.

· Registered
2022 XP4 TE
525 Posts
Interesting video. But...I've been running 7.75 psi in all tires since I bought the RZR800 in Sept 2008 and the General up to today.
I have gotten alongside a sharp rock and slit sidewall twice. But both times I was able to use plugs to seal the tire. Fill it to 7.75 psi
and ride all day. I did wind up replacing the tire soon. But I'm not sure how much the lower air pressure played, looking at the rock that
slit the tire.
But I really like the ride with the lower air pressure. So I run it all the time, everywhere I ride.
Pirate
Pirate aren't you running motovators though? Which is an extremely stiff sidewall tire.
Sidewall ply, steel belted or not, rubber compound etc all factor into psi. Not to mention specific terrain and vehicle weight

· Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,311 Posts
Reason asked is I was riding around 20 psi for first 500 miles, lowered to 12 psi and got a puncture on first ride. It was definitely a better ride at the lower pressure. The hole was so big couldn’t stop it with plugs. Fortunately, only a mile from home! Have since bought a spare.
20 psi is insanely high IMO. I'm riding around on stock wheels/tires at 8-10 psi. 1150 or so miles here in WI and not even a nick in them yet. I think it was just coincidence that you dropped pressure and cut the next ride...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 General XP4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20 psi is insanely high IMO. I'm riding around on stock wheels/tires at 8-10 psi. 1150 or so miles here in WI and not even a nick in them yet. I think it was just coincidence that you dropped pressure and cut the next ride...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Agee, 20 psi is high, that’s where it was set from the dealer. By the time I checked the psi we already had a few rides in.

I do wonder if the puncture was a coincidence because 20 miles after reducing pressure I get a puncture. I’m going to trust the data, right now I have a sample size of one and low pressure = one flat tire. Looking for more data, anyone avoiding punctures riding high pressure?

· Registered
2019 rc
383 Posts
7000 miles RZR with 30" SOFT swamp lites, 8psi front 10psi rear, Never a problem. 3000 miles on the general 30" terrabites same pressure no problems. Most riding done on sharp jagged rocks and ledges in eastern Utah/Western Colorado. Maybe I'm lucky. I do carry all necessary equipment for flat repair including Sidewall Slugs just in case. Yeah I could slice a sidewall in 2 minutes if I wanted to.

· Registered
5,900 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts