Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two possibilities on Amazon the firs one is on sale for singles about 1/3 off the fridge of a 4 set. The second is heavier duty but appears to be better if you are hauling heavier loads only! Anyone have any experience with either or what are you using with links and pictures?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The second link looks like a much better and heavier duty set.
Definitely would be my choice as i like to have things over built rather than scraping by or doing the minimum/cheapest route.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris General XP 1000 Deluxe Ride Command / Rockford Fosgate Stage 4
121 Posts
I second what Johnny 7 said. I figure, for what these machines cost, it doesn't pay to go cheap with items that protect your investment. Not to mention everyone behind you on the highway.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
How much were they apiece Pirate?
Or do they come as a pair?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Found them on the web for $41.99 each. Not exactly cheap...but the best I've seen.

Search Erickson #08314

Pirate

·
Registered
899 Posts
The first ones don't list a WLL, so no way would I use them.

Lots of the second kind available online or at Cabelas/Bass Pro.

And as Pirate noted, the Erickson's are very good.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I was disappointed by the two posted by the OP. Only tie down to the E-track on one end. What good is that? Machine moves a bit, straps are loose.

I tried a set of straps that clipped into the E-track, then over the tire and to the E-track. Ratchet them suckers but good...every single time they came loose.
Hoping the bonnet style fixes that!!

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP 4 seater
243 Posts
Mac’s are awesome!!!

·
Registered
2019 General Deluxe 2Door
31 Posts
I got these at the True Value Trailer store where I've ordered my new Haulmark trailer.

3500 lb. | E-Track Adjustable | Tire Strap
View attachment 68452
I like the fact that they connect to the E-track at both ends. And are adjustable for whatever tire size one is using.

Pirate
I use these on the back and have the fronts up against the e-track chocks. Works great. Chocks are there to help in a hard braking situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
If it works....great!!

I'm going to try the four bonnet straps. Just don't want the machine moving at all!!

Pirate

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was disappointed by the two posted by the OP. Only tie down to the E-track on one end. What good is that? Machine moves a bit, straps are loose.

I tried a set of straps that clipped into the E-track, then over the tire and to the E-track. Ratchet them suckers but good...every single time they came loose.
Hoping the bonnet style fixes that!!

Pirate
I ran full bonnets on e-track but had issues with mud getting in the track and not being able to get the clip in.

So I a guy at Cherokee Tie Downs in NC/SC? made me a strap with a hook and he also sold me hooks for the ratchet end. Now they clip into 6K rings and I have no issues with mud. Also don't have the e-tracks on the deck of my trailer. Will be putting rings in my new enclosed as well.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
If it works for you...great! Me, I try to avoid mud, but usually it dries and comes off of the tires before loading up.

Pirate

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
I would agree with the E-trac and staps work in the towing side and cant go wrong simply works! also have E-trak in my enclosed trailer as well as on my open trailer.
IMG_20180711_201048443.jpg

Reactions: Corbo1962

·
Registered
899 Posts
If it works for you...great! Me, I try to avoid mud, but usually it dries and comes off of the tires before loading up.

Pirate
This is not even playing in the mud, but about 40 miles at Hatfield McCoy. Notice my winch rope attached the passenger mirror. That is so the wife doesn't have to reach down in the mud if we need to winch. LOL.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Herdfan,

Do those bonnet straps have an anchored end at the back of the tire?

Pirate
Yes. 6K Ring bolted to a 6x6" 1/8" plate under the 2x6. Two bolts of the forward ones in the rear are through the trailer frame.

The nice thing is even if the loosen some during the trip, the bonnets would still hold the tire.

If I were keeping this trailer, I would move be redoing then ring locations. It sits a bit too far back and the weight is mainly over the rear tires. They are wearing 2-3 times as fast as the front one. Rear tire of General needs to be centered between them and it's not. Polaris needs to publish approx front/rear weights in their specs.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Can you please post a pic showing where and how the back of the bonnet is secured?
I just can't seem to grasp how these work.

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can you please post a pic showing where and how the back of the bonnet is secured?
I just can't seem to grasp how these work.
Sure, here you go. Works exactly like e-track except with rings and hooks. I loosen them up when it is just sitting on the trailer. The strap on the one without the ratchet is the one I had made and ordered the clip hook on the front one from them as well. The rest of the strap is an e-track system I ordered probably from Amazon or E-trailer. Can't remember.

Under the wood are the 6x6" steel plates distributing the load. They came with plates the same size as they are, but I wanted something a bit bigger and beefier.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts