Polaris General Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
The KRX was most definitely designed with Moab in mind. Kind of in a class of it's own, and it took a little learning on my part to figure out how to drive it out there. You climb everything basically at an idle. Very little throttle input is needed, and it just walks up everything you point it at with zero drama. It's not like anything else I have ridden/driven out there. Riding with my buddy, with his RZR 4, the differences were pretty stark. We both rode the same obstacles, the KRX just did everything easier/better, and is much more stable. Beyond impressed. I will attach a few links to some videos we took. As always, videos and pictures do no justice to the extreme steepness and size of the terrain, but those who have been there know...;)

Steps on 7 Mile Rim
KRX down Wipeout Hill
KRX up Wipeout Hill
RZR down Wipeout Hill
RZR up Wipeout Hill
KRX across Golden Crack
RZR across Golden Crack
Metal Masher (Mirror Gulch)
Mirror Gulch continued

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Wipeout has been on my bucket list of obstacles in Moab I have wanted to conquer since I saw it for the first time in '08. I was a newbie on an atv, and was in awe that it could be climbed. I finally have the machine to do it. Looked at it in '18 when I was out there with the General, but wasn't sure if it would be able to climb back up. The front end is relatively light on the General and I decided not to chance it. This video kind of shows why I didn't attempt it in the G.
I know the driver is bad, and his tires are way over inflated, but this gives you a better idea of how steep it actually is.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
That KRX is really impressive Bob!
Just basically idling up and down those climbs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
That KRX is really impressive Bob!
Just basically idling up and down those climbs.
It took a little bit of re-learning to drive. I'm so used to the regular CVT system where you have to give it more gas to keep the RPM's up and the belt engaged. With the centrifugal clutch, CVT combination, the belt is always engaged and I can use the 76 lb/ft of torque to just crawl up and over obstacles. That also makes it possible to use the engine braking on down hills without wondering when the CVT is going to disengage and send you free wheeling down.
They also seem to have nailed it with the 99" wheelbase and weight bias. Very stable for steep climbing, yet doesn't constantly bottom out when you break over the crest like the four seaters do. I know my General was a little light in the nose, which makes steep climbs a bit more sketchy. I did several this trip that I wouldn't do last time out in the General.
The General is a great sport/utility machine. I don't think there is a better rock crawling machine than the KRX on the market at this time.

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
135 Posts
Those videos graphically showed the KRX's superiority in rock climbing!
I was very impressed. We use our General for flat sand/ rutted trails with occasional mud holes, otherwise I would own one of these beasts by now.
As far as the centrifugal clutch/CVT setup, the Duraclutch is the answer for the General, I love mine!

121 - 125 of 125 Posts