Polaris General Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Got these ordered to mount the BFG's on. One of my OEM's can become a spare during the summer, and vise-versa in the winter months.

Reactions: MMX and Johnny 7

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
The wheels showed up yesterday. However, waiting for the lug nuts to show up now.

Reactions: MMX

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Stopped and picked up some anti seize last night so I could actually install and torque down the bead lock rings. Then up to the garage so I could inflate them and seat the inner bead. Made me jump each time when they pop into place. 😲 I determined that I don't want to mount tires on bead locks for a living... LOL Took me about 45 minutes per tire, start to finish. About 30 of those minutes was torquing the bolts. Holy *#^%&, what a pain. However, they're done and ready to mount on the KRX. :)

Reactions: MMX

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
So here it is. The new tire and wheel combo added more weight than I expected. I'm not concerned by it, it's just about 2-3 lbs more per wheel more than I expected. Each is 9 lbs heavier than the OEM tire/wheel. I knew the tires were 6-7 lbs heavier, just didn't expect the wheels to be as heavy as they are. Just passing this on since I know some people get all bound up over weights. The BFG's have a totally different profile. The actual tread section is more narrow, but still puts more rubber on the ground with the tighter tread pattern. That should make it steer and track even better than it did with the Carnivores. Sitting on the ground, the tires measure about 31-5/8" from the floor to top of tire @ 14 psi. My Carnivores measured about 30-3/8" @ 14 psi. Gained almost 3/4" of ground clearance. Only had time to ride it around the block, so can't say a whole lot about the ride. They did "seem" to feel a little softer, for lack of a better term, but again, it was just a ride around the block and up into the drive. :)
I think it looks pretty good. It will take a little getting used to with the totally different tread profile, but once I get some dirt on them it will probably help. Fortunately I'm more about performance than looks, so hopefully I have gained there, or at least not lost anything. The biggest thing was putting a 32" tire on so now it has a common size, and can be replaced easily if I ever destroy one. It happens....:cautious: If the OEM Carnivores were 32's instead of the oddball 31's, I would have just ordered a spare and run them. The rocks around here do take a toll on the soft, open tread of the Carnivores though. Think they are going to be my winter/snow tires.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to admit, you have my curiosity peaked. If they come out with a 4 seater turbo this year.....

I will also wait to see if Polaris does anything different with the General this year, would love a turbo version even if only 150hp or so. I would also imagine that the General cannot be too far off from a redesign, even if it is only updated plastics and interior.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Put the KRX to it's first real workout last week. Put 275 miles on it in 4 days of riding up in the high country around Taylor Park/St. Elmo. My only complaint was with the operator. I forgot about the differential lock when riding the Chinaman Gulch trail. It made life a little more difficult than necessary when climbing the waterfall. It would have walked right up first try if I had been smart enough to lock it. To used to the Polaris system. LOL. Other than that, the machine was flawless. The suspension and ground clearance are awesome, and the BFG KM3's are as good as any tire I've ever run on that type of trails. 10 psi seemed to be the happy place for them, while not having to be concerned about pinching a sidewall.

New video by Bob Laws

New video by Bob Laws

New video by Bob Laws

·
Registered
187 Posts
very nice!!! and so jealous. so jealous you just don't know!!! i was up in silverton last year and we rented a rzr for a day and did the alpine loop. i can't wait to ride colorado again.

first pic is iron chest? seen lots of vids on it and would love to ride it. did you ride from taylor park to st elmo or trailer there?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
very nice!!! and so jealous. so jealous you just don't know!!! i was up in silverton last year and we rented a rzr for a day and did the alpine loop. i can't wait to ride colorado again.

first pic is iron chest? seen lots of vids on it and would love to ride it. did you ride from taylor park to st elmo or trailer there?
Yes, the first picture is the beginning of the trail to Iron Chest Mine. First 1/4 mile of the trail. Can't tell by the picture, but it is also fairly steep, which makes it just that much more fun going up. I did find a picture of a Jeep going up that gives a little more perspective of the steepness. Fun trail with beautiful views from the mine.
We stayed at a friends cabin in Alpine, just outside of St. Elmo. It's about a 1-1/2 to 2 hour ride from St. Elmo up over Tincup Pass and down to the Trading Post in Taylor Park.

Reactions: SuperATV and MMX

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
101 - 114 of 114 Posts