Polaris General Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bobx2
If you’re ever in northern Baja with your rig please look me up. Love to see the rig after you’ve accessorized it.
BC
PS that rig looks like it would kick butt on the “Frog Canyon” trail

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bobx2
If you’re ever in northern Baja with your rig please look me up. Love to see the rig after you’ve accessorized it.
BC
PS that rig looks like it would kick butt on the “Frog Canyon” trail
Don't know that I will ever make it down that way, but it sure would be a good time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Took the front sway bar off today, and went out to do some stretching. I'm duly impressed. :)
I left the rear bar in place, and think I'm okay with the rear flexibility.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
No pictures :surprise: but I did get the winch in. Bought and installed a WARN VRX 45. I had been waiting for some aftermarket mounting brackets to become available, but decided I couldn't wait any longer. I bit the bullet and bought the Kawasaki mounting kit. $183 is what I ended up paying my dealer, out the door. The kit is more than just a couple of pieces of steel, but still overpriced. However, after doing the install, I would probably be willing to pay that amount again. It comes with all the wiring and switches, with the all wiring cut to the perfect length to fit the KRX. Hopefully other manufacturers will take note of what all Kawasaki did here. They installed tubing to run the cables from the winch directly to the battery box under the drivers seat. That is where the contactor mounts. They even put protective plastic wire loom over the exposed cables between the winch to the tube, and zip ties to attach the cables to the frame. One of the rods for the battery tie down is replaced with a rod that has a plate attached to it to mount the contactor on. SWEET!!! The cables are cut to the perfect length for the +/- battery connections to the contactor as well. No wads of extra wire to try to zip tie somewhere out of the way. Wire for the dash mounted remote and switch run through the same tube mentioned before, then up through a grommet in the "firewall" behind the dash. Again, wires are the perfect length to avoid the under dash rats nest. The bus bar is located behind the center section of the dash. Two screws and 6 plastic rivets and the panel jumps right off. Way easier access than the General.
The design and engineering of everything I've looked at on this machine should be the new standard that all new machines are built too. I am truly amazed every time I do something with it. The rear of the cage has mounting points for flags/whips, and keyed power leads directly below. Why doesn't everyone do this type of thing??? Don't need any flags, and absolutely hate the lighted whip craze, but am making use of the mounting points to mount a couple of work/reverse lights. Guess I do have a picture or two to include here. :grin2:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here's some winch shots.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hola Amigo Bobx2!
Thanks for the updates on your new rig. You know I’ve had winches on my rigs for many years, Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Bronco , quads, sxs’s and heck I even put one on my Montero. Over the years my buddies and me got pretty good with them and learned creative ways with snatch blocks, shackles, tree straps, land anchors and tow straps. One of the most useful winches I’ve ever had was a portable winch that mounted to the tow hitch receiver on the back and you connected it directly to the battery with large alligator clips. It was a 10,000lbs Superwinch (semi piece of junk) but man did we use it, for everything!!! Well it finally burned up pulling tree stumps out.
I’m thinking about getting a 5,000lbs portable winch for my rig

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A portable 5k winch that you could mount on the rear could come in handy. Especially if you ride solo. Everyone I ride with has a winch, so there is almost always a rear winch (so to speak) available if needed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hola Bob,
I noticed someone asked about the back of the bed of your KRX and lack of a tailgate. I know the KRX, the Textron Wildcat XX, the Honda Talon and the Polaris RZR’s all have similar beds with similar back sections. I was surfing through the internet one day and I found a YouTube of a guy with a Talon who had a bed extender much like the one that Polaris offers for the General. I thought I’d share it with you if the need should arise for additional carrying space.
I’m pretty sure Kawasaki or aftermarkets will soon offer one or they may already be out there

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
BC
Super ATV has a rear enclosure that I've been thinking about. Pretty good looking unit, and I think I could modify it so I could open the center section to get the dogs in and out. Still kind of holding out to see what others may come up with since it will be a few months before the dogs start riding with us again. Do you have a link to that you tube video?

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Bob is there no endgate on your rig or did you take it off?
No, for whatever reason they don't come with a rear gate, just like the rest of the sport UTV's. I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but that's how it is. Kawi has a couple of OEM options for it, but neither one open and really can't be modified to do so since they are a molded plastic. I will end up with something like SuperATV has for the KRX. That is something I could modify to open if nothing else come out for it that opens.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just waiting for someone to make some UHMW skid plates and it will be rock ready.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think I may be in trouble if they bring a 4-seater to market.

Have been impressed with almost everything about these machines.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
A little fun in the KRX yesterday. Went out and finished up the break in period. Now have 116 miles on it. The speed is a little deceptive in the video. Looks slow. It's not. :) Most of that course was run around 30-35 mph. It can be run quite a bit faster, but I never came close to full throttle. Still learning this machine and finishing the break in. I ran the General around this same course many times in the past. The General felt faster because I was full throttle a lot with it and it was rough, but the reality is I think I was every bit as fast with the KRX because I didn't have to slow down for the jumps the way you have to with the General. Unbelievably smooth ride.
Click on the link for the video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jStspzYgGVg3edTX6

·
Registered
528 Posts
OMG Bob, cool video! The KRX looks smooth. The trail kinda reminds me of a short 46 mile trail we have down here from the turn off from El Arco to Viscano with the exception that trail is banked the whole way (like a slot car track) the KRX would rock it, heck even my ole fat lumbering General rocked it
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
OMG Bob, cool video! The KRX looks smooth. The trail kinda reminds me of a short 46 mile trail we have down here from the turn off from El Arco to Viscano with the exception that trail is banked the whole way (like a slot car track) the KRX would rock it, heck even my ole fat lumbering General rocked it
Thanks Bob
It is incredibly smooth. Had no idea what I was missing with the relatively short, a-arm suspension on all four corners. It's a whole new learning experience driving this thing. I pulled the front sway bar off and I can really feel a difference out on the track. With the General, I really couldn't feel any more lean when cornering hard. Good stiff rear sway bar. With the trailing arm rear suspension, the rear sway bar mounts to the trailing arm at about the 1/3 point, roughly 1 foot from where the arm connects to the frame. That leaves about 2 feet from the mount to the hub, which gives it tremendous leverage to allow flex in the rear suspension. I can feel the lean.... The result is a perfect setup for rough, rocky terrain and a not so perfect setup for track use. Fortunately, I bought it for rough, rocky terrain riding with only a rare trip out to the track. :grin2:
Sounds like the trail you are talking about would be a hoot!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I think I may be in trouble if they bring a 4-seater to market.

Have been impressed with almost everything about these machines.
Better start saving your pennies. Rumor has it that the four seater isn't far off. :wink2:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Bobx2
They’ll be racing them, it’s In Kawasaki’s blood and with the announcement that Honda is putting together a full factory effort for their Talons, it’s just a matter of time.
I’m not a big “more power guy” because I’d venture to say most of us don’t have the skills to drive our rigs to their full potential, so Bobx2 drive this new machine to the best of your skills and if you get time, please check in time to time with your thoughts and impressions.
Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year

Cheers
Baja Charlie
Looks like attempt #1 went well for the KRX. Finished #5 overall, and first in the non-turbo class. Not a single Honda made the first page...

The 2020 Kawasaki USA #KRX1000 wins the grueling 120 mile Arizona Offroad Promotions race in Arizona.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bob,
That’s great news for all of us UTV’ers. With Kawasaki and Honda throwing their hats into the UTV off road racing ring along with the other big dogs, it means factory and aftermarket product development will get better and better. One of my retirement goals five years ago was to have or build a Pre-runner and enjoy the trails of the beautiful Baja peninsula with my wife in a capable and comfortable off road rig. I came real close to pulling the trigger on a Ford Ranger pre-runner but $65k just seemed too steep. I saw the General 4 and my first impression was “man is that ugly!!!!” (Wifey called it a Herman Munstermobile) Then I started looking at the overall platform of the G4 and the little wheels inside my little brain started turning hmmmmmmm.
Well I’m about $35k into the General and I’m pretty darn happy with it. Is it perfect .....nope..... is it fun.......yep. I’m figuring about five grand more on do-hickeys and she’ll be a great little pre-runner

Can’t wait to see which factory UTV teams show up for the first big off road race event the SCORE San Felipe 250. My guess..... all of them

Living the dream
Cheers
Baja Charlie

PS. Please don’t tell Mrs Baja there is $25k still in the kitty set aside for my pre-runner project. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Did the first service on the KRX today. After I finished the service I decided I would see what it would take to get the wheels off the floor after I got done. It took one 4x4 and four 2x4's on my jack to get it done. :smile2:

Attachments

41 - 60 of 73 Posts