Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for the General to retire, and has been replaced with a beast of a machine. A new 2020 Kawasaki KRX 1000. Everything on it is bigger and stronger, and should be better suited for riding the Rocky Mountains and Moab slick rock. It wasn't an easy decision as the General was a great machine, and never gave us a lick of trouble. However, it had it's limitations (I know, they all do) and I was starting to get nervous about the turf-mode. It was acting a little strange the last few times I had it out. When I was loading it up to haul it in Saturday, it wouldn't unlock. Knowing the cost if it went kaboom made it easier to part with. Hoping the KRX lives up to it's hype. The thing is a monster.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a sharp ride, for sure.
Thanks. As huge as it looks, it's only 5-1/2" wider and about 1'-2" longer overall length. Wheelbase is a full 1'-6" longer and the height is the same, at 6'-4", but it has 14-1/2" ground clearance. It's just the components are huge and over-sized.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Looks more like a RZR.
Wonder how it will stand up?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks more like a RZR.
Wonder how it will stand up?
It does have a bit of a rzr look to it. A finished rzr...:grin2:

Anyhow, time will tell how it holds up. Being a brand new model, it's been out a little over 2 months, I wouldn't be surprised with a glitch here and there. Hopefully nothing major. Sounds like Kawasaki has addressed most issues immediately so far. Everything is larger, more heavy duty in appearance, than any other stock machine available. The 19" travel up front and 21" travel in the rear should make this an excellent rock machine as well.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you don't mind our asking, how much?
Horsepower?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you don't mind our asking, how much?
Horsepower?
$19k + sales tax. No other fees. Only taxed on the difference in price between my trade and the new machine. That saved me about $1200 in taxes by trading vs a cash deal.
As for HP, it is said to be at 112 HP. A little higher than the General, but it is a few hundred pounds heavier. A close look at the machine and it's easy to see where the extra weight comes from. All the components are much bigger than any other rig, not to mention the 31" Maxxis Carnivores on 15" bead lock rims. Not a race buggy, but that's not what I was looking for anyway. The power is more than sufficient.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’m diggin it ! Great looking/beefy machine !

I assume this means goodbye and that you are now on Teryxforum.com ??????
At the very least give us some feedback in the future......

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m diggin it ! Great looking/beefy machine !

I assume this means goodbye and that you are now on Teryxforum.com ??????
At the very least give us some feedback in the future......
Thanks. I'm a forum junkie so I will still be around. I will post up updates as I get some seat time in it.
But yes, I'm now a member of the Teryx Forum as well. :grin2:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice looking machine they definitely are beefy looking, I only ask this don’t compare it to your General because it is going to win out in most categories, HP, suspension, ground clearance, etc. these machines were developed to compete with the RZR models so if you are going to compare it needs to be compared to a RZR XP 1000 or 1000 PRO comparing it to a General would be like comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Duramax or Powerstroke there both trucks but made for entirely different things....

I hope you have a great time with it now get out and ride....Happy Riding!!!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It looks like a beast, good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
512 Posts
That looks awesome and I'm sure it will suit your needs. Is there an enclosure system designed for it yet? I agree that it should probably be compared to the Rzr and Maverick. That will be a good shootout.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nice looking machine they definitely are beefy looking, I only ask this don’t compare it to your General because it is going to win out in most categories, HP, suspension, ground clearance, etc. these machines were developed to compete with the RZR models so if you are going to compare it needs to be compared to a RZR XP 1000 or 1000 PRO comparing it to a General would be like comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a Duramax or Powerstroke there both trucks but made for entirely different things....

I hope you have a great time with it now get out and ride....Happy Riding!!!!!
I won't be able to help but compare it to my General, since that is the only other sxs I've ever owned, and, it will get driven and be used the exact same way. The new General XP would be an even closer comparison (it is also still a RZR S chassis) with it's larger tires and wheels and I believe more ground clearance. Can't compare price though. Polaris went a little overboard with the price of the XP, not sure why. No worries though, I'm not going to turn into a General basher. Loved my General. It was an awesome machine!

Reactions: Alaskan47

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have to admit that if I lived in the area of the country that you do i would definitely consider it as a option but here in Ohio, NY, WV and PA where I do all of my riding primarily on tight woodland trails it would just be too much machine not to mention on a lot of the state owned riding areas I would not be able to get through the gates. A lot of the National forest trails in my area still have a 50” width restriction they need to change that soon as more and more guys are going to 60-72” machines.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't mind sharing, what did they give you for a trade-in?
I got 12,500 for trade in. The only reason I accepted that is because I saved close to 1300 in taxes by trading vs buying out right. That put me right up to the 14,000 I would have taken for the General had I sold it. Now I just need to sell the two extra sets of tires I had for it in the basement (which I would have included in the sale) and I will be good.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to admit that if I lived in the area of the country that you do i would definitely consider it as a option but here in Ohio, NY, WV and PA where I do all of my riding primarily on tight woodland trails it would just be too much machine not to mention on a lot of the state owned riding areas I would not be able to get through the gates. A lot of the National forest trails in my area still have a 50” width restriction they need to change that soon as more and more guys are going to 60-72” machines.
And there's one or the reasons we still have our ATV's. Very few limited trails in this part of the country, but it's still fun to get out and ride and not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bobx2. Nice new ride sir! Been reading about it and love some of the features such as the Belt Temp gauge and the clear plastic oil indicator fir the engine and differentials. And of that oil filter position! Hope you enjoy and keep us posted on your likes or dislikes if there is any.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts