Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mounted my Pantech Tablet to the General Deluxe. I used some RAM mounting attachments. I used the Flat Surface mount inside the small compartment in the center of the dash. I placed a piece of steel on each side of the plastic and ran bolts through it all. This required me to drill 4 holes in the plastic compartment. I figured if I every wanted to return it to factory, I could replace that center compartment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had one of those mounts, it su***! Never held unit tight enough for using off-road, kept sliding out of place. Tether your tablet or be prepared to catch it on every bump. Made mount a bit tighter by using safety wire to immobilize one leg of bracket so it could only open so far. Otherwise, I like RAM mount products, use several of them for other solutions.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice VTBKRDS. I had it in my Ranger and didn't have too much problem, but maybe didn't ride so aggressively. I don't like the fact that it spins or turns until the rubber stoppers catch it. Otherwise it seems to be tight around my Pantech tab.

Did you find a better solution that I should look into?

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
7 Posts
Search the RAM Mount site to see if they have the molded holder for that tablet. Have one for my GPS and love that set up. A large rubber band or two on the back tabs of the one you have may tighten that mounts grip too.
Nice rig by the way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bluesbass

What GPS system do you use? Guys in our group used Polaris R-Tracks but end up getting a straight line a lot of times on trying to retrace our trail home. Have been a couple of rides that we didn't get back to vehicles till midnight. Not a lot of happy campers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing fancy. I have the Garmin 60csx, mostly for recording for future trail projects.
I can hard wire and mount it in several vehicles and use it as a hand held when hiking, exploring for new routes. It's also sealed against the elements so it can get wet, dirty, or whatever, and not be damaged. Not like my smartphone. My 900XC has the IDD version 1, GPS. It's okay, but limiting.
Haven't checked out R-tracks. Or do you mean RiderX? Sounds like a settings adjustment for recording and tracking back. Sounds like its only routing off projected waypoints when unit gets turned on and off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
slipgripcarmounts.com has a tablet mount cradle that looks pretty good.
Was checking out your tablet and mounting options. Bracket incorporates an Otterbox Defender case and Ram Mount fixture with their bracket. Even looks good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
VTBKRDS, You are probably right on it being RiderX. They downloaded it off of the Polaris website. I don't use it. I just follow them around in circles Lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluesbass

What GPS system do you use? Guys in our group used Polaris R-Tracks but end up getting a straight line a lot of times on trying to retrace our trail home. Have been a couple of rides that we didn't get back to vehicles till midnight. Not a lot of happy campers.
Hi, I use a Pantech waterproof 8 inch Android tablet. They don't make these any longer but any tablet will work. Then you need an app. I use Back Country Navigator. I learned of the setup from searching the RZR forums. There is a guy, BobT, that has created maps for our use, and lots of very helpful instructions. I consider him an expert on the subject and you can fine lots of advice out there. Here is a link to some of the maps. https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/4399/

The GPS in the tablet tracks very good, and the map quality and size is nice. You don't need cell or Internet service. You download the maps tiles from the area you are going to be riding in.

I have used Garmins and they are very good as well, but I personally like the size of the tablet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
WOW ;-(

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 10 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

I just wanted to add: did you just use the Cig Lighter for the USB ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I just used the Cig lighter for the USB. I plugged in one of those dual USB plugs. I did run the cable up through the back of the dash and into the plastic pocket where the GPS is mounted. This required drilling the corner hole a little larger. Keeps the wire a little out of the way.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
716 Posts
Look into the Tab-Tite line from RAM. I called them and told them what tablet I was using (Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite) and they gave me the part # for exactly what I needed. Fits snug and has never budged over a couple thousand miles hanging from the roof in my XP. Looking like the center cubby is the only option for installing it in the General Deluxe though.

Another vote for Back Country Navigator too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can answer that deertraks. You just download the map tiles of the area you ride before you leave. I downloaded the whole state of WV. You don't need cell service then.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As bluesbass said, you download the area you want onto the device when you have wi-fi. Then the gps chip in the device places you "on the map" as you travel. Very handy program with different map style options.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yes I just used the Cig lighter for the USB. I plugged in one of those dual USB plugs. I did run the cable up through the back of the dash and into the plastic pocket where the GPS is mounted. This required drilling the corner hole a little larger. Keeps the wire a little out of the way.
When I wired in new switches next to the 12 volt plug there are two empty round spaces. I bought a round USB charger and in the other I put a constant volt meter

1 - 20 of 44 Posts