Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just swapped out my steel cable to 8000# synthetic winch line from Viking Off-Road:grin2:
Just wanted to let ya'll know that there is a set screw that holds the winch line in the drum. It is hard to see at first but if you rotate the drum by hand you will see it:smile2: Back the screw out and the cable will fall outta the drum. Slide the synthetic line in, tighten the set screw and whamo yer done??

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any info on whether you can upgrade the length of the line when doing the swap? I believe the factory length of the steel cable is 50'. I'm curious if 80' or 100' synthetic is possible. I'd imagine 100' wouldn't be possible, but 80' might be.. I'm going to be doing the swap in the next few days, as soon as I pick up my auto stop fairlead.

·
Registered
129 Posts
am i the only one who hates synthetic cable
I've snapped my winch line on my RZR a few times while out riding and it was as simple as tying a knot with the two pieces of line and continue winching. It would of been a different story if I had a cable line in those situations. Because of that, I will always run synthetic line.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said I used Viking Off-Road 1/4" c 50' line with their Hawse aluminum Fairleed
1/4" x 50' Viking Winchline - Hook
I have used this line on several UTV's and knock on wood? Have never broke one. We also use a snatch block a lot to reduce the stress on both the winch and the line.
As for installing more than 50' feet, the answer is no! 50' of the 1/4" just about fills up the drum.
If you need longer than just carry an extension, I believe they make various sizes. I carry 35' SpeedStrap for both towing and as a winch extension.
1? SpeedStrap Weavable Recovery Strap | Piston Driven

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am getting my dealer to install an auto stop fairlead before I pick up my machine. I am pretty sure it is just a magnetic shut off that shuts the winch off once the hook meets the fairlead to prevent the hook from getting suckered in past the fairlead. Which I have definitely done before.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was all excited to install the auto stop and wireless remote over the weekend. I was less excited when I figured out the dealer I bought everything from sold me all the wrong stuff. I will be at their door first thing in the morning hitting the return button. I knew it was a bad idea to buy stuff from a dealer with a bad reputation, but they are 40 miles closer to me than the place I bought my buggy and they supposedly had the stuff in stock. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup one more thing in the water. It helps if your in the blind while winching it in from the cab. With the remote you can keep an eye on it.
Why not the roller fairlead?

Only a Hawse Fairlead my brother bear. Roller fairleads can be **** on synthetic winch lines for many reasons. Also, make sure you are getting a good synthetic - there are many Chinese knockoffs out there - we use only 100% American made Amsteel Blue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
$28 on ebay for synthetic rope. Used for years getting unstuck and plowing snow. Still looks new and saves your hands. Used a rolder fairlead without an issue. Also get a $6 rubber winch saver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only a Hawse Fairlead my brother bear. Roller fairleads can be **** on synthetic winch lines for many reasons. Also, make sure you are getting a good synthetic - there are many Chinese knockoffs out there - we use only 100% American made Amsteel Blue.
I have used a roller fairlead on my quads and both RZRs with synthetic winch line for 5 years without any issues, I wore the synthetic rope almost in half plowing with a Hawse Fairlead on my first ATV, since I switched to the rollers, the lower roller turns when the line is going in and out, it doesn't wear the line at all.
Works better I feel with recovery on the trail too.

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
I Make my living with a winch Not saying I'm a expert by no means but have seen a lot with winches! Okay going to stay neutral here if you are going to use synthetic line the haws fairlead is better you can use a roller but when you pull at angle or to the side ( Not straight ) the rope can get pinched or cut between rollers. just keep an eye on it.

Steel doesn't like sharp edges nor does rope but if your going to winch in rocks or with a lot of sharp edges rope is the better bet. if nothing else rope will loose a lot of energy when it breaks and snaps back may hurt but cable well lets just say its not good . if you got a distance of cable or rope out just drop a shirt , jacket , anything over cable when pulling.

The fairlead or auto stop is just that there is a sensor in the fairlead and also in the winch saver the part next to the hook when it contacts the fairlead it stops the winch they work good for awhile (just my 2 cents) not going to last!

When adding length to a winch keep in mind that every rap on a winch drum you loose power. Meaning the first layer on the drum you get the most pulling strength the second layer of cable or rope you loose some pulling power and winch has more load and makes more heat and so on and so on! That being said its simple the more length of cable or rope the less pulling power you will have.

Stated before rope hates heat and the winch being mounted just under radiator and heat all the time already. that's a bad place for rope. seen a lot of people using rope and love it but for our application and location of the winch its not the better choice! both have its goods and bad points else they would sell both. Stock location of the winch itself is not good for the rope on the General.

My 2 cents for a winch that is used a lot and for a lot of pulling cable is the better option for the weekend toy and such rope is good Keep an eye on both for frays and cuts as they are break points and on cable snag hands real easy! replace either when cut or frayed!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts